What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Mr Spock!

Referee
In regards to his try scoring exploits i agree with this but he does get through a lot of work at the other end of the ground. No other South Sydney outside back averaged more metres than Rob did.
I believe he is a centre and with GI in his final years, Jennings will be a strong candidate to replace him.
Because Johnson normally the passed the ball to him at the back.

Doubtful he's s first grade centre....he's the same build and ilk as Johnson.

Curns13

Juniors
Because Johnson normally the passed the ball to him at the back.

Doubtful he's s first grade centre....he's the same build and ilk as Johnson.
I don’t want you to think I’m some sort of Jennings fanboy, but I’ve gotta call you out on some of your comments.

Firstly, you make out like Jennings running the ball back after a Johnston pass is a negative. Johnston hates running it back. Of the 8 wingers in action last weekend only Ferguson, Jennings and Graham ran for more metres than their fullback. Looking at the back 12 that played last weekend:

Tedesco - 154 metres from 15 carries (10.3m per carry)
Slater - 189 m from 19 carries (9.9m per carry)
Addo-Carr - 124 metres from 13 carries (9.5m per carry)
Jennings - 132 metres from 14 carries (9.4m per carry)
Holmes - 149 metres from 16 carries (9.3m per carry)
Ferguson - 163 metres from 18 carries (9.1m per carry)
Graham - 109 metres from 12 carries (9.1m per carry)
Vunivalu - 53 metres from 6 carries (8.8m per carry)
Feki - 43 metres from 5 carries (8.6m per carry)
Lee - 101 metres from 13 carries (7.8m per carry)
Tupou - 144 metres from 19 carries (7.6m per carry)
AJ - 90 metres from 12 carries (7.5m per carry)

Jennings is right there with Addo-Carr and Holmes (who will be the Australian wingers later this year) while AJ is worse that Daniel Tupou and Edrick Lee.

Now I'm not suggesting that Jennings is up to playing for Australia, he doesn't have the speed or finishing ability of those 2 players, but if Jennings wasn't there to get the pass from AJ, our kick returns would be completely f**ked. There is no way you can say that AJ and Jennings are of the same 'ilk', their games just aren't anything alike.

Then you say 'he's the same build' as AJ. Again, that is nonsense. AJ is listed at 185cm and 95kg, whereas Jennings is listed as 192cm and 102kg. That is a huge difference in their builds. In fact, GI is listed as 195cm and 105kg, he has definitey been heavier than that in the past but has lost a heap of weight after his thumb injury, so Jennings' build is actually much closer to GI's than AJ's.

Now, maybe he'll never be a first grade centre. He's only 22 and just cemented his spot in first grade and is a former Australian Schoolboy at that position, so I'm not going to say it can't happen. But what I am certain of is that he's not 'the same build and ilk as Johnson'.

Travitoh

First Grade
In regards to AJ, a big summer of squats and the like could be the answer. Look at what it did for Cook this year.
Get some power into AJ's foundations which will hopefully not only encourage him to run at the kick chase but also give him the confidence that he can break through.
Val Holmes looked like a winger at fullback in 2017, in 2018 he is a top 5 Australian FB.
Confidence is everything and in the latter stages of the season, AJ was lacking and it was evident in his play.

handyman2190

Bench
In regards to AJ, a big summer of squats and the like could be the answer. Look at what it did for Cook this year.
Get some power into AJ's foundations which will hopefully not only encourage him to run at the kick chase but also give him the confidence that he can break through.
Val Holmes looked like a winger at fullback in 2017, in 2018 he is a top 5 Australian FB.
Confidence is everything and in the latter stages of the season, AJ was lacking and it was evident in his play.
Truthfully im sick of AJ playing FB, he is a good winger who should stay at wing,he does nothing at the back, he has to be the laziest FB in the comp,i have never seen 1 throw the ball continually to the wingers to take up. I feel corey Allen who is the presidents 13 FB should go straight there and be blooded immediately. If meninga thought highly enough to put him there i support him as well. GI could go there and put Allen in the centres, by all accounts he is the 1 that got away from the donkeys,a very talented player.
We cannot play exactly the same team next year,obviously we fell short,something must be changed.

Travitoh

First Grade
Truthfully im sick of AJ playing FB, he is a good winger who should stay at wing,he does nothing at the back, he has to be the laziest FB in the comp,i have never seen 1 throw the ball continually to the wingers to take up. I feel corey Allen who is the presidents 13 FB should go straight there and be blooded immediately. If meninga thought highly enough to put him there i support him as well. GI could go there and put Allen in the centres, by all accounts he is the 1 that got away from the donkeys,a very talented player.
We cannot play exactly the same team next year,obviously we fell short,something must be changed.

You raise a good point about Corey Allen and i agree, if he arrives and proves to be ready for first grade and the better option then he should get the number one without a doubt and AJ goes back to a wing.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I don’t want you to think I’m some sort of Jennings fanboy, but I’ve gotta call you out on some of your comments.

Firstly, you make out like Jennings running the ball back after a Johnston pass is a negative. Johnston hates running it back. Of the 8 wingers in action last weekend only Ferguson, Jennings and Graham ran for more metres than their fullback. Looking at the back 12 that played last weekend:

Tedesco - 154 metres from 15 carries (10.3m per carry)
Slater - 189 m from 19 carries (9.9m per carry)
Addo-Carr - 124 metres from 13 carries (9.5m per carry)
Jennings - 132 metres from 14 carries (9.4m per carry)
Holmes - 149 metres from 16 carries (9.3m per carry)
Ferguson - 163 metres from 18 carries (9.1m per carry)
Graham - 109 metres from 12 carries (9.1m per carry)
Vunivalu - 53 metres from 6 carries (8.8m per carry)
Feki - 43 metres from 5 carries (8.6m per carry)
Lee - 101 metres from 13 carries (7.8m per carry)
Tupou - 144 metres from 19 carries (7.6m per carry)
AJ - 90 metres from 12 carries (7.5m per carry)

Jennings is right there with Addo-Carr and Holmes (who will be the Australian wingers later this year) while AJ is worse that Daniel Tupou and Edrick Lee.

Now I'm not suggesting that Jennings is up to playing for Australia, he doesn't have the speed or finishing ability of those 2 players, but if Jennings wasn't there to get the pass from AJ, our kick returns would be completely f**ked. There is no way you can say that AJ and Jennings are of the same 'ilk', their games just aren't anything alike.

Then you say 'he's the same build' as AJ. Again, that is nonsense. AJ is listed at 185cm and 95kg, whereas Jennings is listed as 192cm and 102kg. That is a huge difference in their builds. In fact, GI is listed as 195cm and 105kg, he has definitey been heavier than that in the past but has lost a heap of weight after his thumb injury, so Jennings' build is actually much closer to GI's than AJ's.

Now, maybe he'll never be a first grade centre. He's only 22 and just cemented his spot in first grade and is a former Australian Schoolboy at that position, so I'm not going to say it can't happen. But what I am certain of is that he's not 'the same build and ilk as Johnson'.

Lol comparing Jennings with Addo-Carr.....the simple point of Jennings carries is that's where he makes his metres. And rarely splits the first tackle. Even his tries involve less than 20m untouched runs to the line.

Not from line breaks.....

It was the same when AJ was on the wing.

Comparing him with Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Ferguson and Holmes is ridiculous.

And yep their build is totally different...

jenningsr-try-celeb-180323nh11.jpg

ThingFish

Juniors
Lol comparing Jennings with Addo-Carr.....the simple point of Jennings carries is that's where he makes his metres. And rarely splits the first tackle. Even his tries involve less than 20m untouched runs to the line.

Watch some of those “untouched” tries. You will see stop on a dime, stepping. They aren’t all stroll overs. His metres out of trouble, you won’t see that from the “flash” wingers. You are also forgetting he’s not a winger, he’s a centre, better than his brothers.

Any upgrade he gets is better than buying any other mediocre winger/centre on the market, even better than any overpriced winger/centre on the market.

I think it’s been suggested by the wise already, GI to FB, AJ back to wing, Jenko centre.

Curns13

Juniors

Not a big fan of stats I see. I only compared his carries with those players, didn’t mention line or tackle breaks. He is nothing like AJ because AJ’s carries are his weakest area while Jennings carries are his strongest. And yeah, I’ll take the measurements listed on the NRL website as a build comparison over your photo.

Travitoh

First Grade

Jennings is much bigger across the chest and shoulders

callmack1

Staff member
Jennings is a huge part of our side in 2018. While it's true for a lot of his tries, he went over untouched, you have to put yourself in a position to score those tries and Jenko does that to perfection. As others have said, his work coming out of our own end has been absoulutely outstanding!! We need to lock him down ASAP.

In regards to Allan being selected in the PM XIII, that speaks volumes of the kind of player he is and this news has me really, really excited. he is obviously rated.

Inkers75

Juniors
That’s a big gig for Dave,the Leeds supporters are as passionate about their team as we are about ours.
Would of thought that Furner would of been next in line with us if Seibold took up a gig at another club after 2019.
Yes Trav,those Yorkshire lads take their ESL,EFL & Cricket very seriously.
Great days when Harry & Mark were at their best with LU.

As a Rhinos and Souths fan I am over the moon with this appointment. Rhinos needed to appoint someone from outside the club as we had become stale under Brian McDermott. Onwards and upwards!

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
Watch some of those “untouched” tries. You will see stop on a dime, stepping. They aren’t all stroll overs. His metres out of trouble, you won’t see that from the “flash” wingers. You are also forgetting he’s not a winger, he’s a centre, better than his brothers.

Any upgrade he gets is better than buying any other mediocre winger/centre on the market, even better than any overpriced winger/centre on the market.

I think it’s been suggested by the wise already, GI to FB, AJ back to wing, Jenko centre.
That’s why I think we missed an opportunity to get Barba.
He would have been great fit at fullback

I don't think we can win the competition with AJ at the back. He just doesn't offer enough in attack or defense for my liking. I think we already have the players in our team to win us the competition next year but they're just in the wrong spots.

For mine, it's either GI to the back with Jennings to centre and AJ to the wing or Gagai to the back with Graham or Burns to centre and AJ to wing.

AJ is definitely one of the two best wingers at the club. He's just not a good enough option at fullback in my eyes.

With our big pack and Cook getting out of dummy half the way he does, we desperately need someone who will trail through the middle and AJ just doesn't do that.

I've said it elsewhere, you swap AJ for someone like Tedesco or Jake T this year and we would have won this competition by an absolute mile.

So many times Cook would have had the opposition on toast if he had support and none of our players were anywhere near him. A fullback that pressed up the middle would have just about been our leading try scorer this year if we had one.

Travitoh

First Grade
I don't think we can win the competition with AJ at the back. He just doesn't offer enough in attack or defense for my liking. I think we already have the players in our team to win us the competition next year but they're just in the wrong spots.

For mine, it's either GI to the back with Jennings to centre and AJ to the wing or Gagai to the back with Graham or Burns to centre and AJ to wing.

AJ is definitely one of the two best wingers at the club. He's just not a good enough option at fullback in my eyes.

With our big pack and Cook getting out of dummy half the way he does, we desperately need someone who will trail through the middle and AJ just doesn't do that.

I've said it elsewhere, you swap AJ for someone like Tedesco or Jake T this year and we would have won this competition by an absolute mile.

So many times Cook would have had the opposition on toast if he had support and none of our players were anywhere near him. A fullback that pressed up the middle would have just about been our leading try scorer this year if we had one.

I would love to see Jake at Souths but i think you mean Tom T mate lol.

The more i read about Corey Allen, the more I'm certain he'll hit the ground running at FB in 2019.

themacemaceman

Juniors
We basically played the same team last year as 2017 and went
From 12th to 4th.
I’m not sure we need to change to much.

Latest posts