What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We would be crazy to let AJ go early. He is still a world class finisher and I don’t think him going has anything to do with Jennings staying. If he wants to leave once his contract is up then all power to him but the cowboys shouldn’t just be allowed to poach him because they f**ked up purchasing Ben Barba.

callmack1

Staff member
We would be crazy to let AJ go early. He is still a world class finisher and I don’t think him going has anything to do with Jennings staying. If he wants to leave once his contract is up then all power to him but the cowboys shouldn’t just be allowed to poach him because they f**ked up purchasing Ben Barba.
Exactly and I believe AJ still has a huge role to play with us. Who knows, if he does go back to the wing, he might kill it there and realise, "hey I actually love playing here and wing is my position?"

themacemaceman

Juniors
I’m not sure the cows are just “Poaching him”.
We don’t have to let him go anywhere.
The way I see it , it’s a bit like SuperCoach these days.
You’ve got 2 guys that can play the same position. One is cheaper than the other.
You let the dearer one go and keep the cheaper.
Then put the money in the bank to strengthen another position.
It’s all about salary cap Managment these days.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we release AJ.

ThingFish

Juniors

callmack1

Staff member
I’m not sure that is a great story about GI. Seems you can add relationship issues to all the other baggage. I’ll wait till Rd1 before commenting, but I don’t share your confidence about his headspace right now.
Agreed. I'm not talking about his headspace, I'm talking about the weight issue.

callmack1

Staff member
Johnston’s Not Going Anywhere: Bennett.

Paul Crawley 1, The Daily Telegraph February 3, 2019 4:36pm

Wayne Bennett has no intention of releasing Alex Johnston to move to North Queensland in the wake of Ben Barba’s sacking.

There has been speculation for months that Johnson is disillusioned at South Sydney following the decision to move Greg Inglis to fullback in 2019.

But The Daily Telegraph understands Bennett is privately filthy that Johnston’s name has been thrown up as Barba’s potential replacement.

It follows reports late last year that Johnston was not wanted by Bennett and could be on the move to Cronulla.

Bennett has maintained throughout that he wants Johnston at the club and there is every chance the 24-year-old will start the season wearing the No. 1 jumper.
With Inglis struggling with a recurrence of a knee injury, the superstar skipper has been unable to run in recent weeks and he is no certainty be ready for the season kick off.

While Souths also have young gun Corey Allan as a back-up fullback option, Bennett is reluctant to rush the 20-year-old’s development.

Bennett also believes there is still a lot of development left in Johnston.

South Sydney football boss Shane Richardson said he was not aware of any interest coming from the Cowboys but said Bennett would ultimately make the call.

“My understanding is Alex is comfortable where he is so nothing has changed,” Richardson said.

That being the case, there appears little chance of the Cowboys roping in Johnston to cover the loss of Barba at this late stage.
While it makes little sense for the Rabbitohs to release Johnston, especially with Inglis underdone, there is concern the talk could potentially distract Johnston given his desire to play the custodian role.

Johnston has made no secret of the fact he wants to be paid “fullback money” and a move to Townsville would result in an immediate pay hike.

The speculation also highlights a bigger issue that still confronts the game with respect to the lack of loyalty and ease of breaking an NRL contract.

Plenty of fans grew angry and disillusioned last year with the constant player and coaching movement and many believe it is high time the NRL addressed the issue to bring some loyalty back into the game.
It has been mooted releasing Johnston would free up the Rabbitohs to retain Robert Jennings, who is said to be waiting on a move to the Wests Tigers.

But that deal is dependent on the NRL salary cap investigation into the Robbie Farah ambassador role.

Rival clubs are also awaiting the outcome of Cronulla’s salary cap investigation to see if the Sharks will be forced to move players.

That could potentially also open up another opportunity for the Cowboys to strike, although they may be forced to go into the season with Te Maire Martin at fullback and youngster Jake Clifford partnering Michael Morgan in the halves.

Travitoh

First Grade
I'd go Ben Hampton at FB if i were NQ but that's only my opinion.

Only speculating here but i don't believe that Barba's sacking will free up enough money to convince AJ to make the move far north.
Barba only signed a one year deal which suggests to me that he was playing to prove he is worth a big contract.

GloryGlory

Juniors
I’m not sure that is a great story about GI. Seems you can add relationship issues to all the other baggage. I’ll wait till Rd1 before commenting, but I don’t share your confidence about his headspace right now.

What the article does say is that the exaggeration of his weight issue has come from a source 'north of the border'. That should be read as Siebold crap stirring

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I’m not sure the cows are just “Poaching him”.
We don’t have to let him go anywhere.
The way I see it , it’s a bit like SuperCoach these days.
You’ve got 2 guys that can play the same position. One is cheaper than the other.
You let the dearer one go and keep the cheaper.
Then put the money in the bank to strengthen another position.
It’s all about salary cap Managment these days.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we release AJ.

What I mean by “poaching” is that the cows are pursuing him to play fullback for probably better money before he’s even allowed to talk to other clubs. His contract ends in 2020 and he can’t start talking to clubs until Nov 1 this year. If we released AJ I don’t think it would have anything to do with Jennings resigning considering Jennings has been with the camp for over a month now without getting paid. Richo doesn’t give big money to wingers it’s always been that way and it’s always been the smart way. He’s not gonna suddenly change that for Jennings, I believe that if Jennings stays it won’t be on big money and it won’t be because AJ leaves.

Last edited:
Jennings was a sure thing to sign with the Tigers until the Robbie Farah salary cap situation blew up. My understanding is that they are currently waiting to see how this plays out and then they will sign Jennings.

handyman2190

Bench
What I mean by “poaching” is that the cows are pursuing him to play fullback for probably better money before he’s even allowed to talk to other clubs. His contract ends in 2020 and he can’t start talking to clubs until Nov 1 this year. If we released AJ I don’t think it would have anything to do with Jennings resigning considering Jennings has been with the camp for over a month now without getting paid. Richo doesn’t give big money to wingers it’s always been that way and it’s always been the smart way. He’s not gonna suddenly change that for Jennings, I believe that if Jennings stays it won’t be on big money and it won’t be because AJ leaves.
Apparently he is waiting for the farrah tigers problems with salary cap to finish before signing with them

Hello to all our Prideoftheleague members and fans on here on Leagueunlimited we are in very good hands from here on at souths and i am truly excited to see how wayne bennett pans out, i for one am tickled pink that the greatest coach of all time is now coaching the greatest and most successful club of all time thats why souths are called the pride of the league.

I believe #22 will happen within 3-4 years but most probably in 2020 but if it happens in 2019 then the great man himself Mr Wayne Bennett can definitely take a well earned bow. Cardinal & Myrtle Forever.

handyman2190

Bench
We apparently have signed a big prop from manly feeder blacktown workers who was player of the year,has played aussie schoolboys and is a junior kiwi, manly not happy, looks like tom burgess replacement,at least we are pro active

Travitoh

First Grade
We apparently have signed a big prop from manly feeder blacktown workers who was player of the year,has played aussie schoolboys and is a junior kiwi, manly not happy, looks like tom burgess replacement,at least we are pro active

Do you mean George? Tom re-signed last week.

Wolfman

Juniors

All ready posted mate by CAFPOW on the 27th Jan.

Refer to page 670. Scroll to 6th post down ( #13386 )

Also some footage of him 3 posts onwards ( #13389 )

Looks promising though.

This nz kid has good hands and a nice step and off load and is a defence machine from manlys feeder club out at blacktown i hope him and knight play off the bench but maybe that dillon kid from the sharks might play off the bench with knight.i believe liam knight will go leaps and bounds this year under bennett if bennett can straighten him out i believe he
may well surprise all he is my smokey.

themacemaceman

Juniors
All good points mate.
I hope it all pans out and we keep both AJ and Jennings.
But There’s nothing stopping the cows though from contacting Souths and asking if we would consider releasing him to go there a year earlier if interested.
And if we’re resigned to losing him after this season as he wants fullback money, then the club might just let him go.
I know the club has come out and said he ain’t going anywhere , but to be honest I don’t think that means anything.
I hope I’m wrong.