What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs set new record for NRL memberships

bandwagon fans

let's see how the numbers fare when your team isn't going as well as they are now

I have a gold membership. Means I've been a member for 10+ years. I joined the leagues club a few years before we were excluded from the comp and I can't remember when football club membership became a seperate thing but I joined the year we marched. I think I can safely say that I stood by the team through the bad times. I'm entitled now to enjoy the good.

blaza88z

Coach
I have a gold membership. Means I've been a member for 10+ years. I joined the leagues club a few years before we were excluded from the comp and I can't remember when football club membership became a seperate thing but I joined the year we marched. I think I can safely say that I stood by the team through the bad times. I'm entitled now to enjoy the good.

no doubt about it

I just don't like bandwagon fans, not saying you are but it's not beyond any sort of logic to think these numbers are on the back of their success, the numbers are still growing a few months into the season, that's enough proof for me

flamin

Juniors
no doubt about it

I just don't like bandwagon fans, not saying you are but it's not beyond any sort of logic to think these numbers are on the back of their success, the numbers are still growing a few months into the season, that's enough proof for me
Of course members go up when a club has success, but obviously other teams have had similar success in the past and haven't translated it into such strong numbers. If anything all clubs should be doing their best to convert bandwagoners into members because, besides the immediate windfall, there's every chance they will stay on for next year.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Wow, that's amazingly insightful! No one else's membership numbers would possibly fluctuate with their level of success.

Parramatta have nearly 16k members which is our highest ever and it comes on the back of 3 woeful seasons in a row

Matt Keating the pride of the league

Glen

Bench
I love stirring Souffs fans when the time is right but some of the crap in this thread is ridiculous. I would hope they are not including pets in there but otherwise it's a great effort and should be a shining example to other clubs.

I believe in supporting the club and would happily buy a membership to be donated to an underpriviledged kid.

But pet memberships? I know everyone is questioning whether these are counted or not, but even if they were (and they are not), how many would we be talking about anyway? Surely there aren't more than a few hundred people (max) in any supporter base who would buy a membership for their pet?

I'm as devoted as the next guy, but I'm not going to go buying a membership for my cat. Thats just weird...

Kid's memberships on the other hand... I could understand if they are counted.

Danish

Referee
I believe in supporting the club and would happily buy a membership to be donated to an underpriviledged kid.

But pet memberships? I know everyone is questioning whether these are counted or not, but even if they were (and they are not), how many would we be talking about anyway? Surely there aren't more than a few hundred people (max) in any supporter base who would buy a membership for their pet?

I'm as devoted as the next guy, but I'm not going to go buying a membership for my cat. Thats just weird...

Kid's memberships on the other hand... I could understand if they are counted.

My dog is a member of the roosters :lol:

No idea if he is counted as an actual member or not, although I suspect not.

STG 002

First Grade

but do u have a big c**k

tumbidragon

First Grade
Parramatta have nearly 16k members which is our highest ever and it comes on the back of 3 woeful seasons in a row

Matt Keating the pride of the league
Yeah big effort from the Parra fans. Not too many clubs supporters would continuously sign up in droves year after year on the back of woeful performances. Hopefully the Eels can start to repay their fans loyalty by stringing some good wins together ;)

firechild

First Grade
Make any excuse you want but why is it that Manly have a crowd average about 50% HIGHER than their membership number while Souffs have an average about 25% LOWER than their membership number? Brisbane would be around 40-50% higher as well and I'd imagine most clubs are in a similar situation (certainly the Chooks would be but Souffs fans want to bag them incessantly). No point gloating about numbers until those numbers represent bums on seats.

Glen

Bench
Make any excuse you want but why is it that Manly have a crowd average about 50% HIGHER than their membership number while Souffs have an average about 25% LOWER than their membership number? Brisbane would be around 40-50% higher as well and I'd imagine most clubs are in a similar situation (certainly the Chooks would be but Souffs fans want to bag them incessantly). No point gloating about numbers until those numbers represent bums on seats.
But they still represent revenue for the club, which is kind of important as well. Maybe they should turn away interstate people who want to pay to be a member so they can have a better member-crowd ratio?

Perhaps its because hardly anyone in Manly supports their team enough to buy a membership or actually attend games and more than 50% of Manly home crowds are made up of away supporters... I know thats certainly been the case a few times when I've been to Brookvale. We even outnumbered you in a home finals match there ffs!

firechild

First Grade
more than 50% of Manly home crowds are made up of away supporters... I know thats certainly been the case a few times when I've been to Brookvale.

Are you actually geniused or just plain stupid? Sounds like you're channeling DunniesGimp with statements as stupid as that.

How do you explain the same phenomenon at Brisbane? Are they getting huge number of away fans too?

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Away perhaps but certainly not at home. Souths had the largest number of away fans at Brookie this year and it would have been about 3,000 (crowd of over 20,000). Cronulla and Newcastle brought very few fans while the Roosters were somewhere in between. Our membership numbers are not great but still better than some other clubs. One of the problems is Manly fans seem to decide the week before the game whether they are going to go, they don't seem to plan ahead too much and generally you can just turn up on the day and buy a ticket. I'd love for our membership numbers to be better but my point was what you see at Manly is reflected by most other clubs. Souths are about the only club that have such a disproportionately low attendance relative to memberships.

Latest posts