What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It looks to me that Maguire is trying to put together again a big,formidable pack to play his typical head-down,arse-up,style of highly disciplined,highly structured,no-frills RL!! This will be his approach for 2016 in the hope that 2014 can be duplicated.

Backs are basically irrelevant to him so,therefore, what back[winger or centre]would be jumping out of their skin to play with us!!?? As an outside back at Sths you will occasionally be seriously involved in the team plan.

It would be great to be a big forward slipping into our pack at present because you will be right within the element & philosophy at Sths!

Not so as a threequarter!

I knew it wouldn't take Doyen long to get started again:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rsag85

Bench
Really
And which other forum has stated that we have signed lafai.

It's great to know you have been " told" by someone in " the know"

Should be interesting to hear your thoughts in the coming days.

It's been on social media and downtherabbithole & pride forums.

I keep asking this person about this rumour and the reply is always the same Souths have not made any type of offer to Tim Lafai. I just this person who is related to a current board member of the club.

If you are right then I will be happy to admit that and say sorry but I think your 100% wrong.

Bugsbuddy

Juniors
It looks to me that Maguire is trying to put together again a big,formidable pack to play his typical head-down,arse-up,style of highly disciplined,highly structured,no-frills RL!! This will be his approach for 2016 in the hope that 2014 can be duplicated.

Backs are basically irrelevant to him so,therefore, what back[winger or centre]would be jumping out of their skin to play with us!!?? As an outside back at Sths you will occasionally be seriously involved in the team plan.

It would be great to be a big forward slipping into our pack at present because you will be right within the element & philosophy at Sths!

Not so as a threequarter!

What a load of rubbish.
The bash and barge not only won us a competition, it was the reason for us scoring the most points per game on average at 25.44.
2015 seen us average 19 points because we try to " expand " our game. How did that work out?
It don't remeber seeing Sam Burgess or any other forward in the top try scorers list.
So who scored all the tries.

The roosters were second on 25.41 and the Cowboys third on 25.33 points per game.
2 sides that were labelled as flamboyant and thrilling.
The hard yards need to be done first and that's what the forwards did which allowed the backs to then do there business.
It's been the same for over 100 years.

doyen

Bench
What a load of rubbish.
The bash and barge not only won us a competition, it was the reason for us scoring the most points per game on average at 25.44.
2015 seen us average 19 points because we try to " expand " our game. How did that work out?
It don't remeber seeing Sam Burgess or any other forward in the top try scorers list.
So who scored all the tries.

The roosters were second on 25.41 and the Cowboys third on 25.33 points per game.
2 sides that were labelled as flamboyant and thrilling.
The hard yards need to be done first and that's what the forwards did which allowed the backs to then do there business.
It's been the same for over 100 years.

I think the Broncos & the Cowboys are far better to watch.
This is more important to me than just winning.
The stoic approach to success as has been Sths--& it worked for a P/ship in 2014, which was great for us all, but a more open & balanced approach would please me now,ala Broncos & Cowboys. Trouble is though;we don't appear to be attracting necessary players for our backline;as yet,anyway! I wonder why this is so!!??

In any sport the spectator needs to get a fair bit of enjoyment----does one enjoy a stonewaller in cricket scoring a 100 or an elegant strokemaker.The stoic,stonewaller will get the result in some cases but he is a turn-off for the fan!

There has been a fair bit of comment regards Sths monotonous approach.
The failure to move the ball much--167 recorded off-loads in 2015 for eg!!

The points may have been there in 2014 but those 25 pts per game can be scored in the space of a very short time in reality--it's the other 75 mins of grind, bash & barge,kick & chase that's difficult to stomach.
With the i/change probably heading to 6 in the foreseeable future the huge pack with the mentioned approach will hopefully be a thing of the past.
The game should then be more palatable.

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
The stoic approach to success as has been Sths--& it worked for a P/ship in 2014, which was great for us all, but a more open & balanced approach would please me now,ala Broncos & Cowboys. Trouble is though;we don't appear to be attracting necessary players for our backline;as yet,anyway! I wonder why this is so!!??

In any sport the spectator needs to get a fair bit of enjoyment----does one enjoy a stonewaller in cricket scoring a 100 or an elegant strokemaker.The stoic,stonewaller will get the result in some cases but he is a turn-off for the fan!

The failure to move the ball much--167 recorded off-loads in 2014 for eg!!

The points may have been there in 2014 but those 25 pts per game can be scored in the space of a very short time in reality--it's the other 75 mins of grind, bash & barge,kick & chase that's difficult to stomach.
With the i/change probably heading to 6 in the foreseeable future the huge pack with the mentioned approach will hopefully be a thing of the past.

sorry but i rather see souths win games then play the type of footy your talking about

doyen

Bench
sorry but i rather see souths win games then play the type of footy your talking about

The game is evolving so Sths have to evolve with it!!

Of course I want to see Sths win but the establishment is determined to create a more open,attractive game with changes to the rules.
The climate of RL is changing & it's imperative that we jump on board with clever recruiting,especially in the forwards.

Rsag85

Bench
The game is evolving so Sths have to evolve with it!!

Of course I want to see Sths win but the establishment is determined to create a more open,attractive game with changes to the rules.
The climate of RL is changing & it's imperative that we jump on board with clever recruiting,especially in the forwards.

Don't care how they win as long as they win mate

alien

Referee
The failure to move the ball much--167 recorded off-loads in 2014 for eg!!

167 offloads was this year, wasn't it? it wasn't long ago that i posted an article here in the souths section, and i'm pretty sure it said souths made around twice as many offloads in 2014 than in 2015. i was very entertained in 2014. yeah souths dominated in the forwards, in attack and defense, but when the team got close to the try line, they often passed it through the hands. go have some green tea and chill out! :p

doyen

Bench
167 offloads was this year, wasn't it? it wasn't long ago that i posted an article here in the souths section, and i'm pretty sure it said souths made around twice as many offloads in 2014 than in 2015. i was very entertained in 2014. yeah souths dominated in the forwards, in attack and defense, but when the team got close to the try line, they often passed it through the hands. go have some green tea and chill out! :p

The 167 off-loads was for 2015--I thought I edited that!!

Sths blossomed when Keary went to 5/8 late in the season in 2014 when JS was injured--it was if a cancer had been removed.

I'm getting bored with green tea--I need something substantially heavier!

Last edited:

GGTSS

Juniors
Anyone heard anything on Gavet? Has he been signed anywhere? I heard we were keen when he was released but then we got big Sammy and it seemed to disappear. Doesn't sound like we're in a position to sign anyone but if he came for the right price that'd be a solid signing.

Also something I read elsewhere and am just quoting (don't think it's true) is that Lafai failed a club drug test and that's why dogs are letting him go. This does align with some goss from Lurker/Mole. Obviously with our recent history (DW) we'd go no where near a player like that.

Rabbits20

Immortal

The failure to move the ball much--167 recorded off-loads in 2015 for eg!!

If the forwards perform well in 2016 with a bash and barge approach it then allows us to get the ball out wide and get the backs scoring tries like we did in 2014.

2014 wasn't just bash and barge, there was very good ball movement too off the back of a dominant forward pack.

These days doyen if the forwards have a very good bash and barge approach it goes a long way to winning as the halves and backs take advantage of it too.

Obviously we need more offloads to make the bash and barge more effective.

However attacking from within 20m from the tryline I hope Madge has new ideas too rather than just having Clark, Tyrrell and Grant hitting it up which is too easy for our opponents to shut down.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Don't care how they win as long as they win mate

Mate I completely agree 100percent.

As long as we are winning games I don't care how we do it.

I'd rather watch bash and barge and winning compared to throwing the ball around like jungle ball with risk and losing.

Rsag85

Bench

I'd rather watch bash and barge and winning compared to throwing the ball around like jungle ball with risk and losing.

We played that style of footy before and didn't get us anywhere but hey lets just change what works for us to make some fans happy.

doyen

Bench

I'd rather watch bash and barge and winning compared to throwing the ball around like jungle ball with risk and losing.[/QU

Have fun then!!! I hope my snoring doesn't bother!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts