What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code-hopper Sam Burgess is on the verge of making a shock return to the NRL after reportedly admitting he wants to re-join the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
In an exclusive for Channel Nine news, rugby league reporter Danny Weidler has revealed Burgess and the Rabbitohs were in "top level negotiations" for the former star to return to the club where he won a premiership in 2014.
However, the potential major coup could still be scuppered by a number of obstacles, mainly English rugby union club Bath where Burgess still has two years remaining on a three-year contract.

But Weidler is confident the Rabbitohs was Burgess' preferred destination, hoping to reignite his career as one of League's most dynamic players.
The move would also see him again link up with his brothers after the Rabbitohs announced the contract extensions of Tom and George Burgess last week.
The report follows Burgess' poor showing at the Rugby Union World Cup where England – the home nation – were knocked out at the group stage.
Despite mainly being used off the bench during the tournament, much of the criticism of the team cast Burgess as one of the key reasons England failed so spectacularly.
© ninemsn 2015

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/10/26/13/29/burgess-wants-to-return-to-nrl#MbYeXKBR078scS9E.99

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/10/26/13/29/burgess-wants-to-return-to-nrl

Burgess has been forced to wear heavy criticism after a less than stellar showing in England's ill-fated 2015 rugby World Cup campaign.
After switching to union late last year, Burgess made his national debut just nine months after his first game before being selected for the World Cup.
The 26-year-old has two years left on his contract with Bath and his club coach Mike Ford has predicted he will stick around in union until the 2019 World Cup.
However McNamara, who knows Burgess well having coached him at English Super League club Bradford, predicted his former charge would return to his first love - rugby league.

"At some point I am sure he will come back - whether that is six months, 12 months, three years, five years, who knows," McNamara told BBC.
"It is the game he was brought up with." The Rabbitohs dearly missed Burgess' aggression and go-forward this year and would be welcomed back with open arms by coach Michael Maguire.
Maguire has revealed that ironically it was Burgess' experience at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup which inspired his code switch.
In his book 'A Year To Remember', which will be released on Wednesday, Maguire said Burgess told him of his decision to move to the 15-man code in a meeting in late 2013.
Burgess' appearance for England at the league World Cup stirred his patriotic streak and ignited his desire to play in the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup in his native country.
"When we sat down, Sam had been back from the World Cup in England for a few weeks," Maguire wrote.
"He told me how special that experience had been and how it stirred up his love of his country.
"He'd discovered that he wanted to represent England in the 2015 Rugby World Cup, a huge event that would be the biggest honour for an Englishman playing a rugby code as it would take place on their home soil."
-AAP

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11528412

GGTSS

Juniors
Stoked if we get him but not holding my breath for Sammy to return just yet. Maybe later but we'll see. I think O'Hanlon would be a great pick up. Just before he broke his ankle he was playing some great footy for the dogs. Really tall from memory. Actually really similar body and style to the other doggies bloke - Shaun Lane.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Guys how bout we go back to what this thread was originally intended for and just leave it for posting about signings, rumours and injuries?

I've had enough of all these pictures and the other rubbish that's been going on.

I've let it go for a while hoping that it will run it's course but unfortunately it seems that people want to persist in being peanuts. That being the case, I will begin moving rubbish out of threads if I see it posted anymore.
Agree, thanks DKOR.
Pat O hanlon and Sam Burgess rumored for next year,will believe the Burgess one when I see it.
I'll only believe it when I see it too. Fingers crossed.
Cheers DKOR. Getting tired of it myself.

Interesting to hear Pat OHanlons name come up. Never thought much of him when he was on the field.

Ill believe the Sam rumours when he officially signs. If he does we can be top 4 again.
I don't really rate O'Hanlon but he'd be a depth signing which is important. Bring Sam home!
We continue to hope. The rumours seem to be getting stronger!
Sam's a done deal!........don't you blokes know anything?......lol.
:lol::lol:

Rsag85

Bench
Stoked if we get him but not holding my breath for Sammy to return just yet. Maybe later but we'll see. I think O'Hanlon would be a great pick up. Just before he broke his ankle he was playing some great footy for the dogs. Really tall from memory. Actually really similar body and style to the other doggies bloke - Shaun Lane.

The problem with Sam at the moment is that he is under contract for another 2 more years with Bath.

Wouldn't mind a mid year signing? and pay out his last year of his deal maybe? could work for both parties.

O'Hanlon would be a good depth signing

doyen

Bench
My hunch is that Sam will be back to start next season for a number of reasons.

Will Bath really want to keep a bloke that is struggling at RU & costing them heaps??I don't think so!

I think they'll be more than happy if Sam asks for a release.

He has all his family here in Aust. & his fiance is an Aussie!

There are infinite reasons as to why Sam would prefer to be here in Aussieland!!

Sths just have to find a way to squeeze him into their cap.

The powers to be here in Aust. too would be over the moon to have Sam back in the NRL!

Welcome home Sam!!!!!!

Last edited:

Woofy7

Juniors

Will Bath really want to keep a bloke that is struggling at RU & costing them heaps??I don't think so!

There are infinite reasons as to why Sam would prefer to be here in Aussieland!!

Welcome home Sam!!!!!!

Totally agree Doyan,

Pretty sure Bath paid Souths around the 1 million transfer fee in which Sam had two years reaming, so I see the release clause being around the same money.
So desperate for Sam to come back l'll even take luke.B back as sweetener lol.

Rsag85

Bench

The powers to be here in Aust. too would be over the moon to have Sam back in the NRL!

Welcome home Sam!!!!!!

Yes that's right Sam is getting married at the end of the year could be a big factor in how this plays out.

doyen

Bench
Totally agree Doyan,

Pretty sure Bath paid Souths around the 1 million transfer fee in which Sam had two years reaming, so I see the release clause being around the same money.

I'd definitely get Luke B. back,if possible--front rowers mature with age usually--he's not the worst prop going around either!

We look like getting our p/ship squad back.

We won't be able to afford to get Teo back if all this pans out but I reckon we have a potential star in Carter who can play a similar role to him!

Last edited:

Woofy7

Juniors
Yes that's right Sam is getting married at the end of the year could be a big factor in how this plays out.

This signing has been in the woodworks for a long time. I refuse to believe that we would start next season with such a weak forward pack. Sam is a done deal in my opinion.

Rsag85

Bench
I'd definitely get Luke B. back,if possible--front rowers mature with age usually--he's not the worst prop going around either!

We look like getting our p/ship squad back.

We won't be able to afford to get Teo back if all this pans out but I reckon we have a potential star in Carter who can play a similar role to him!

Grevsmuhl looks more likely then Carter.

Wonder if the club would still look at signing James Gavet?

Rsag85

Bench
Totally agree Doyan,

When we released Sam we had it in writing that Souths would get first and last chance to make a offer to signing him, if he was to leave Bath early.

doyen

Bench
Grevsmuhl looks more likely then Carter.

Wonder if the club would still look at signing James Gavet?

I don't know all that much about Gavet but what I do remember is that I was impressed by his aggressive approach!!

I reckon Carter has more potential than Grevs---in saying that,Grevs certainly has huge potential as well!

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
I don't know all that much about Gavet but what I do remember is that I was impressed by his aggressive approach!!

I reckon Carter has more potential than Grevs---in saying that,Grevs certainly has huge potential as well!

Well Gavet hasn't signed with anyone of yet.

I see Carter as a good bench player at the moment I don't know if i would have him in my starting 17, on the other hand I see Grevs as a future rep star he has all the tools to make it big.

doyen

Bench
Well Gavet hasn't signed with anyone of yet.

I see Carter as a good bench player at the moment I don't know if i would have him in my starting 17, on the other hand I see Grevs as a future rep star he has all the tools to make it big.

I think Carter oozes natural talent & class but where do you play him??

I hope Madge gives him the chance to impress!

He would make a v/good starting lock or 5/8!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
The problem with Sam at the moment is that he is under contract for another 2 more years with Bath.

Wouldn't mind a mid year signing? and pay out his last year of his deal maybe? could work for both parties.

O'Hanlon would be a good depth signing

Good points you raise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts