What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Manuleleau or Auva'a???

Where did you hear that regarding Auva'a and AJ???? Another website?????

That's right, let Tyrrell, McQueen/Grant go.

Auva'a has great potential and AJ has very good potential.

I'd be devestated and ropeable too.

Where did you hear this mate????

One of them is Grant I reckon. Other 3 could be Tyrrell, McQueen and Clark.

I'm probably alone on this one but I'd be disappointed to lose Clark and tyrell. While they arent superstars, They are cheap players, they come in and plug holes and just do a bit of shit work. Grant and McQueen are on bigger money and I don't think they're bringing value for money.
If those 4 do go so Sam could come back, I'd like sam to play prop. Before 2014 i always thought that was his best position and by the time he moved to 13 full time that position had pretty much become a 3rd prop. If the interchange change has its desired effect I think smaller locks will come back into fashion, either as tackling machines or as ball players. So assuming this all comes to fruition I'd like to see the pack to start of looking like

8. Sam Burgess
9. McInnes (think he deserves first crack at hooker)
10. G. Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. Grevsmuhl

14. Carter
15. Brown
16. Tom Burgess
17. ???- depth may be a problem

Last edited:

RabbitOhBoy

Juniors
I'm probably alone on this one but I'd be disappointed to lose Clark and tyrell. While they arent superstars, They are cheap players, they come in and plug holes and just do a bit of shit work. Grant and McQueen are on bigger money and I don't think they're bringing value for money.
If those 4 do go so Sam could come back, I'd like sam to play prop. Before 2014 i always thought that was his best position and by the time he moved to 13 full time that position had pretty much become a 3rd prop. If the interchange change has its desired effect I think smaller locks will come back into fashion, either as tackling machines or as ball players. So assuming this all comes to fruition I'd like to see the pack to start of looking like

If ? and its a big IF ? Sam returns, I think he?ll come back a different player. I think he thinks too much of his athletic shelf-life to return as a bash-smash and barge guy. Also, England?s failed attempt to turn the best RL forward into a RU centre (God) has had a couple of benefits as his ball handling/skills seem a lot better. In my opinion, he?s a better 80 minute lock than a 60 minute front rower and is therefore the ideal forward for the new rules.

That said, if (an even bigger IF) Maguire was willing to encourage and developed our props into ball players, then we could see a really electrifying pack emerge that Sam could lead from the front.

Matrix

Juniors
Manuleleau or Auva'a???

Where did you hear that regarding Auva'a and AJ???? Another website?????

That's right, let Tyrrell, McQueen/Grant go.

Auva'a has great potential and AJ has very good potential.

I'd be devestated and ropeable too.

Where did you hear this mate????

One of them is Grant I reckon. Other 3 could be Tyrrell, McQueen and Clark.
Really doubt it would be Maunleulua or Auva'a.Manuleulua would be on $80k max for next season if he even has a contract at all and Auva'a wouldnt be on much more than that.That sort of money being freed up isnt getting anywhere near Sam Burgess wages.

Rabbits20

Immortal

8. Sam Burgess
10. G. Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. Grevsmuhl

14. Carter
15. Brown
16. Tom Burgess

17 could be Musgrove.

Other young guys include Whitelaw, Gosiewski, B. Gray, Saumamao.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Really doubt it would be Maunleulua or Auva'a.Manuleulua would be on $80k max for next season if he even has a contract at all and Auva'a wouldnt be on much more than that.That sort of money being freed up isnt getting anywhere near Sam Burgess wages.

McQueen is on about 300k.

Grant is on about 350k.

We should be looking at getting rid of these 2.

DiegoNT

First Grade
McQueen is on about 300k.

Grant is on about 350k.

We should be looking at getting rid of these 2.

moving on these players doesn't mean we automatically get 650k back into the salary cap.
At this time of the year, and with these guys current form, rival teams aren't going to offer these guys big money.
Say for example mcqueen went to the Titans and they paid him about 150k and grant went to the Sharks for 150k as well, that means rabbitohs still have to pay out the remainder of these guys contracts. So getting rid of those 2 in that instance would free up 300k on our salary cap, but we'd still be paying 350k on our cap for players that are no longer at the club. This is how parra and tigers have found themselves in the trouble they are in now.

Last edited:

GGTSS

Juniors
How can you complain about our forwards and then say you'd take Luke Burgess back? He's a fringe first grader at any club. Average at best.

Rsag85

Bench
The only name back we should let go IMO is Goodwin yes he had a good season but he is injury prone and in his 30's

doyen

Bench
Some things to consider--

GI is our best player,however ---he will be going into his 13th season at the top,he is tired & struggling with injury----he will continue to have a horrific workload over & above his club duties with his rep responsibilities-----I don't expect GI to be the inspiration in 2016, & onward that he's been in the past!!He is definitely NOT past it but he's not the player he was!

JS,the same as GI--in the twilight of his career now with the body showing signs of caving in.

We have two of the best props in the business in the Burgess twins----but they need to be encouraged to use the ball more & not just take it up with no thought for anything else.
This is where our coach needs to show he can change.

Our next two best forwards are Carter & Grevsmuhl.

I have always preferred Sam at prop but he's tops wherever he plays-----the question is whether we can coax him home!!

I think we need to experiment with the halves-----I'm not convinced with Reynolds even though he is a prolific pointscorer----we won games with Keary at half &,IMO,he is more suited to half with his running game. Cody Walker needs to be fairly trialled--the Charity Shield for eg!! Keary/Walker combo in that game.

McInnes should be given first shot at 9.

Dumping players en masse would be a bad move for team combinations & morale.

Re.Luke Burgess--he played in 18 games for Manly last season & did OK---he is no better or worse than a number of our forwards--I'd sign him.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
moving on these players doesn't mean we automatically get 650k back into the salary cap.
At this time of the year, and with these guys current form, rival teams aren't going to offer these guys big money.
Say for example mcqueen went to the Titans and they paid him about 150k and grant went to the Sharks for 150k as well, that means rabbitohs still have to pay out the remainder of these guys contracts. So getting rid of those 2 in that instance would free up 300k on our salary cap, but we'd still be paying 350k on our cap for players that are no longer at the club. This is how parra and tigers have found themselves in the trouble they are in now.

Yeah I know I'm aware of that. We will still have to pay part of their contract.

How much do you reckon Sam would want if he returns???

Maybe next season he could settle for about 550k and then he'd want 700k from 2017 onwards.

Rabbits20

Immortal
How can you complain about our forwards and then say you'd take Luke Burgess back? He's a fringe first grader at any club. Average at best.
The thoughts of some people I think is bringing Luke Burgess back could further entice Sam to return.
The four I heard are McQueen, Clark, Grant and Tyrell
No surprises there.
The only name back we should let go IMO is Goodwin yes he had a good season but he is injury prone and in his 30's
Goodwin isn't injury prone imo. At Souths he has been fit most of the time besides 1-2 injuries. One of them was in Perth I think.

Goodwin has been rewarded for his consistency and as he can be a leader and set the right example for our young backline.

Goodwin turns 30 just before the new year.

If Auva'a leaves though I'll be pissed off as we could have kept him over Goodwin.

Even though some of you guys reckon Auva'a is a done deal, I am far from convinced at this stage. Sorry if it sounds a bit negative but that's what I'm thinking.

Rabbits20

Immortal

8. Sam Burgess
10. G. Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. Grevsmuhl

14. Carter
15. Brown
16. Tom Burgess

I'd go with:

8. G. Burgess
9. McInnes (if he fails in the first month Cook will be wearing the no.9)
10. T. Burgess
11. Turner
12. Sutton
13. S. Burgess

14. Grevsmuhl
15. Brown
16. Carter
17. Musgrove

doyen

Bench
The thoughts of some people I think is bringing Luke Burgess back could further entice Sam to return.

No surprises there.

Goodwin isn't injury prone imo. At Souths he has been fit most of the time besides 1-2 injuries. One of them was in Perth I think.

Goodwin has been rewarded for his consistency and as he can be a leader and set the right example for our young backline.

Goodwin turns 30 just before the new year.

If Auva'a leaves though I'll be pissed off as we could have kept him over Goodwin.

Even though some of you guys reckon Auva'a is a done deal, I am far from convinced at this stage. Sorry if it sounds a bit negative but that's what I'm thinking.

Goodwin has played 62 games in 3 seasons for us--average 21 games a season--that's NOT injury prone!!

And he's a very reliable,experienced player!!

Dogmatix

Juniors
Getting rid of players from this Souths squad should be easy

Souths have 3 hookers in McInnes, Cook and Carter. You only need 2. So one of these 3 can go

Souths have 3 backup backs who are too small to really succeed in the NRL with Gray, Goodwin and Oldfield. At least one of these can go

So that is 2 players gone without losing anything as Souths have too much duplication in these areas

Then if more need to go get rid of one of the dud forwards in Clark, Turner, Tyrell and co

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwin has played 62 games in 3 seasons for us--average 21 games a season--that's NOT injury prone!!

And he's a very reliable,experienced player!!

Yeah mate completely agree. Great truth telling:lol:

That's what I was trying to explain to rsag85.

The 1-2 injuries he's had were quite minor, nothing severe.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah I know I'm aware of that. We will still have to pay part of their contract.

How much do you reckon Sam would want if he returns???

Maybe next season he could settle for about 550k and then he'd want 700k from 2017 onwards.

Oi Doyen this is my thoughts on Sam and the kind of money he'd want and how we could fit him in.

Doyen how much do you think Sam would want for say for 2016, 2017, 2018????

In 2016 I think he would have to settle for a bit less as I mentioned.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
dogmatix the only real truth teller

hooker get rid of mcinnes
personally get rid of oldfield and gray and keep goodwin
i disagree dogmatix id get rid of the 3 forwards mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.