What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doyen

Bench
Oi Doyen this is my thoughts on Sam and the kind of money he'd want and how we could fit him in.

Doyen how much do you think Sam would want for say for 2016, 2017, 2018????

In 2016 I think he would have to settle for a bit less as I mentioned.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

I think Sam will be busting to get back into RL!!

Leeds,however, are supposed to want him too----& they have very,very deep pockets over there--loads of $$$$$$$!!!

A player of his status needs to attract top $$$ for sure;wherever he plays.

When you look at what players like GI,DCE etc are getting I think he needs to be close to them money-wise!!

I don't profess to know how the system works re. contracts but I reckon we'd have to somehow pay him about 2.4 million over 3 yrs. 800k a season!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think Sam will be busting to get back into RL!!

Leeds,however, are supposed to want him too----& they have very,very deep pockets over there--loads of $$$$$$$!!!

A player of his status needs to attract top $$$ for sure;wherever he plays.

When you look at what players like GI,DCE etc are getting I think he needs to be close to them money-wise!!

I don't profess to know how the system works re. contracts but I reckon we'd have to somehow pay him at least 2.5 million over 3 yrs.

Ok, you think about 800,000 a season. If he wants that geez it's a lot for a forward (I know he's bloody magnificent).

If he really wants to come back to Souths he may have to settle for a bit less.

2016: 550,000-600,000
2017: 750,000
2018: 750,000

Rsag85

Bench
Goodwin has played 62 games in 3 seasons for us--average 21 games a season--that's NOT injury prone!!

And he's a very reliable,experienced player!!

He missed most of last year due to injury and when he was playing for the Dogs he was out for a long period of time IMO thats injury prone

doyen

Bench
Ok, you think about 800,000 a season. If he wants that geez it's a lot for a forward (I know he's bloody magnificent).

If he really wants to come back to Souths he may have to settle for a bit less.

2016: 550,000-600,000
2017: 700,000-750,000
2018: 700,000-750,000

Personally,I don't think any player's worth $800k & I would agree what you say is a fair way to go!!

But money talks,especially in these days with professionalism--I thinks Leeds will lash out big-time to get him.

It depends on what motivates Sam-----MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$--or family & lifestyle!!

doyen

Bench
He missed most of last year due to injury and when he was playing for the Dogs he was out for a long period of time IMO thats injury prone

Goodwin played the most games in 2015 along with only a couple of other players.ie Tom B & AJ.

They played 25 games.

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
#RugbyBath @RugbyBath
@Mike7Ford rubbishes latest claims from Down Under that @SamBurgess8 will return to league via @BathChron

DiegoNT

First Grade
When it comes to sam burgess'es contract I think you have to look at the Folau/eels situation. Both player and club reportedly agreed on a wage that was later rejected by the nrl because they deemed it to low for Folau's value, effectively putting Folau out of the eels reach because they could no longer fit him under the cap. So even if souths and sam both agree on a contract of $500k for example, the nrl can come out and say 'nope that's to low for a player of Sam's calibre, we won't accept a contract under 800k for him.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The reason Auva'a replaced Goodwin in 2014 is simply because he is a better player. Goodwin has huge flaws in his defence, doesn't offer much in attack. His only strength is his early tackle count grunt work, and quite simply in 2014 we didn't need that so much because we had a forward pack that was firing on all cylinders.

doyen

Bench
Your talking about 2015 right? I'm talking about last year 2014

I was talking about last season mate!! 2015.

He has played 62 games for Sths in 3 seasons----that's not bad!!

He won the Asotasi Medal in 2015;voted by the members on an online poll as Sths best player in 2015--the people who watched & followed Sths last season rated him our best!!

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench

He won the Asotasi Medal in 2015;voted by the members!!

Well I did say he missed most of last year (2014) due to injury.

I'm sorry but I've never really rated Goodwin as a player, I think he has a lot of issues in defence that leaks us a lot of try's when he rush in and leaves his winger open plus he tends to hog the ball a lot never really passes the ball when we have a chance to score.

Good depth player but I hope he is not our first choice next year when it comes to our backline

DiegoNT

First Grade

I'm sorry but I've never really rated Goodwin as a player, I think he has a lot of issues in defence that leaks us a lot of try's when he rush in and leaves his winger open plus he tends to hog the ball a lot never really passes the ball when we have a chance to score.

Good depth player but I hope he is not our first choice next year when it comes to our backline

I thought I was crazy and the only one who thought this.
Alot of people confuse a good tackler with a good defender, especially in the centres. Goodwin doesn't have a bad tackling technique but he is a bad defender. His not the only one, Dylan Walker has similar issues, but the thing in Dylan's favour is that he is still young and is an x-factor in attack. It's not just leaked tries that's a problem, it's also field position. Often we'd pin a team down deep in their own half only for them to attack our edges and make an easy 20-30 metres to get their team out of trouble. It was quite common in our lost games last year for opposing centres and edge second-rowers to have a field day against us.
At the same time i can understand Goodwin getting the members award for the year, despite the big flaws in his game he always tried his hardest, which will always go down well with Souths supporters, but after the success off the last few years i kind of don't want to get into the habit of the bad old days were we would celebrate mediocre players who tried their best, because that's what we did a lot of between 2002-2011

doyen

Bench

Goodwin played 25/26 in 2013-------13 in 2014 & the most of any player in 2015 with 25.

So it seems that he's had one serious injury since playing with us, in 2014, & basically injury free for the other 2 seasons.

Madge must like him as he's selected him in just about every game.

In saying that though,he will have serious competition for a wing spot in 2016--that's unless Auva'a plays wing with Goodwin centre.

Statistically.Goodwin did better than Auva'a with metres gained on average per game---102ms as compared to Kiri's 89 ms.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Personally,I don't think any player's worth $800k & I would agree what you say is a fair way to go!!

But money talks,especially in these days with professionalism--I thinks Leeds will lash out big-time to get him.

It depends on what motivates Sam-----MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$--or family & lifestyle!!

Cheers doyen.

I agree with what you say too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwin played the most games in 2015 along with only a couple of other players.ie Tom B & AJ.

They played 25 games.
Goodwin was very consistent this season. Tom was solid. AJ disappointed me.
#RugbyBath @RugbyBath
@Mike7Ford rubbishes latest claims from Down Under that @SamBurgess8 will return to league via @BathChron
Well of course he's going to rubbish it at this stage.
But last year he was out injured thats why Auva'a was put into first grade
Auva'a is definitely a better player than Goodwin.
When it comes to sam burgess'es contract I think you have to look at the Folau/eels situation. Both player and club reportedly agreed on a wage that was later rejected by the nrl because they deemed it to low for Folau's value, effectively putting Folau out of the eels reach because they could no longer fit him under the cap. So even if souths and sam both agree on a contract of $500k for example, the nrl can come out and say 'nope that's to low for a player of Sam's calibre, we won't accept a contract under 800k for him.

In 2016 the NRL may except Souths signing Sam for 600k. (If he returns).

Maybe I'm being optimistic.

From 2017 onwards he could get about 750k a season. Maybe 800k as the cap is rising.

Rabbits20

Immortal

He won the Asotasi Medal in 2015;voted by the members on an online poll as Sths best player in 2015--the people who watched & followed Sths last season rated him our best!!
62 games in 3 seasons is pretty good doyen.

That's right our members voted him as our best which says it all.

I think giving Goodwin a whole lot of criticism is unwarranted.

A bit of criticism I can agree with but not a large amount which I'll reply to from the other guys below!!!!!!
The reason Auva'a replaced Goodwin in 2014 is simply because he is a better player. Goodwin has huge flaws in his defence, doesn't offer much in attack. His only strength is his early tackle count grunt work, and quite simply in 2014 we didn't need that so much because we had a forward pack that was firing on all cylinders.
We know Auva'a is a very good player. Goodwin is still solid though and gives his all. We have got good value out of Goodwin the past few seasons. Goodwin's defence imo improved in 2015 and he was very good gaining metres out of our own end. Goodwin had very good ball security this season and when on the wing was very safe under the high ball.

A lot of times in 2015 when a one on one tackle had to be made Bryson was there and stood up.

A big reason why our left edge defence was poor this season was as Keary rushed out of the line too much and missed too many one on one tackles. Keary also wandered further in field when there wasn't a need too.

I'll try too find how many matches Goodwin played in 2014 but I may not be able to find out!

Imo Goodwin will be in the no.5 Jersey in round 1 next season.

Have you thought maybe Goodwin doesn't force the pass as that is Madge's instructions.

Goodwin rushes in as Keary rushes in too much. It's not Goodwin's fault.

Auva'a had to rush in too due to Keary's bad defence and coming in field when there wasn't a need too. It made Auva'a look bad in the back end of 2015, but it was Keary's fault.

I just researched quickly:

2013: 24 games
2014: 13 games (half the season isn't too bad)
2015: 25 games

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwin played 25/26 in 2013-------13 in 2014 & the most of any player in 2015 with 25.

So it seems that he's had one serious injury since playing with us, in 2014, & basically injury free for the other 2 seasons.

Madge must like him as he's selected him in just about every game.

In saying that though,he will have serious competition for a wing spot in 2016--that's unless Auva'a plays wing with Goodwin centre.

Statistically.Goodwin did better than Auva'a with metres gained on average per game---102ms as compared to Kiri's 89 ms.
We are still waiting on confirmation of Auva'a. Hopefully shortly we get a members confirmation email.

Your last point is a good one re how many valuable metres Bryson makes.
I thought I was crazy and the only one who thought this.
Alot of people confuse a good tackler with a good defender, especially in the centres. Goodwin doesn't have a bad tackling technique but he is a bad defender. His not the only one, Dylan Walker has similar issues, but the thing in Dylan's favour is that he is still young and is an x-factor in attack. It's not just leaked tries that's a problem, it's also field position. Often we'd pin a team down deep in their own half only for them to attack our edges and make an easy 20-30 metres to get their team out of trouble. It was quite common in our lost games last year for opposing centres and edge second-rowers to have a field day against us.
At the same time i can understand Goodwin getting the members award for the year, despite the big flaws in his game he always tried his hardest, which will always go down well with Souths supporters, but after the success off the last few years i kind of don't want to get into the habit of the bad old days were we would celebrate mediocre players who tried their best, because that's what we did a lot of between 2002-2011

I wouldn't call Goodwin mediocre.

You are very hard on him.

Focus on the good things he does too, not just faults. Imo the good things he does definitely outweigh the faults.

I thought his defence was pretty good this season and Keary really struggled in defence which made Goodwin and Auva'a look bad.

Goodwin had very good ball security, made try saving one on one tackles, makes a lot of metres with the ball especially in our own half. Goodwin only gives penalties away very rarely and was safe under the high ball in the back end of the season on the wing.

Also on the last tackle Keary wouldn't kick the ball at times and passed too Goodwin who grubber kicked quite a few times and managed to get us repeat sets or have them only 5metres out from their own try line.

Goodwin is also a handy back up goal kicker.

The reasons above are why I believe Madge re-signed Goodwin and also as a leader and role model to our young guys coming through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.