What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Sam Burgess has told Bath that he wants to return to rugby league in Australia in the latest blow to follow England’s World Cup debacle.

Reports Down Under have linked the 26-year-old with a comeback for the side he inspired to the NRL title last year, South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Sportsmail has learned that Burgess’s experiences in union have left him profoundly disillusioned and determined to revert to his original code.

Burgess is due back in training with Bath on Monday as he waits to see if a financial settlement can be reached.

The man whose inclusion in England’s World Cup squad provoked such debate and uproar in some quarters is currently out of the country having a short break.

He was given two weeks off by Bath head coach Mike Ford but, despite speculation that he has been sent away to consider his future, a source has revealed that he has already ‘laid his cards on the table’.

Last year’s beaten Aviva Premiership finalists will not allow their best-paid player to just walk away when he is contracted until June 2017. Managing director Tarquin McDonald is said to have stated that Bath would only consider releasing Burgess, who is thought to earn around £500,000 a year, if they receive a substantial transfer fee.

Australian media have reported that the Rabbitohs are prepared to release one of their Test players in order to free up the finances required to bring Burgess back to rejoin his brothers — twins George and Tom. Of equal significance is the news that a transfer fee would not be subject to NRL salary-cap regulations.

Rumours circulated earlier this month that Super League champions Leeds Rhinos were preparing to pounce if Burgess decided he wanted to go back to the 13-man game. However, the Yorkshireman wants to return to Sydney. He is due to marry his Australian fiancee, Phoebe Hooke, there in December and it is understood that she would like them to move back to her home country.

There are also grave concerns about the treatment of her husband-to-be since his switch to union.

Bath have already made contingency plans by putting the feelers out about potential replacements at blindside flanker. While Burgess thrived in that position late last season — having struggled to settle in midfield — he was picked in England’s World Cup squad as an inside centre.

The lack of a unified strategy with both Bath and England in relation to his position is thought to be one of the factors which have left the cross-code recruit so disillusioned with union. He has also apparently become demoralised by the relative lack of game involvement, compared with what he was used to in league.

One source said on Thursday night: ‘He used to make 50 tackles and 50 carries in a match, now he maybe touches the ball six times.’

For all his self-belief, Burgess has also been stung by the storm which surrounded his rapid promotion to the England team. Criticism from leading former players has troubled him, as have suggestions that his inclusion in the World Cup squad caused some unrest in the camp.

Ford told the BBC that he was ‘100 per cent sure that he (Burgess) will be staying in rugby union’. However, Sportsmail has been told that Bath are merely establishing a strong negotiating position in order to secure a hefty fee for his abrupt departure.

Burgess will continue to train as normal until a deal has been reached but the potential for discord and disruption within the club if the situation drags on means that a resolution is surely imminent.

Source: Daily Mail UK

roughyedspud

Coach
Chucking it out there.....wouldn't issac lukes & glenn stewarts wages cover sams wages for a season until souths sort their cap out properly???

doyen

Bench
Chucking it out there.....wouldn't issac lukes & glenn stewarts wages cover sams wages for a season until souths sort their cap out properly???

The NRL badly want Sam back in the fold so everyone is going to bend over backwards to get him here,I reckon!!

Woofy7

Juniors

Yep 100%, any one that believes that this is a spur of the moment signing is delusional.
Been in the pipeline for atleast 6 months.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The NRL badly want Sam back in the fold so everyone is going to bend over backwards to get him here,I reckon!!

I've changed my mind Doyen on his salary if he comes back.

With third party deals too I expect Souths would give him about 900k- 1million.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I'll be very happy if we get Sam back with minimal backlash. If Grant and McQueen go i'll be completely fine with that. They'll get better opportunities at other clubs anyway.

With Sam back, even with the lack of depth in our squad, I think we can reach top 4 barring injuries. His presence means that much to the team, plus our younger guys will have learnt from what happened this year.

Imagine our starting pack of

8. George Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. Tom Burgess
11. Chris Grevsmuhl
12. John Sutton
13. Sam Burgess

:shock:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'll be very happy if we get Sam back with minimal backlash. If Grant and McQueen go i'll be completely fine with that. They'll get better opportunities at other clubs anyway.

With Sam back, even with the lack of depth in our squad, I think we can reach top 4 barring injuries. His presence means that much to the team, plus our younger guys will have learnt from what happened this year.

Imagine our starting pack of

8. George Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. Tom Burgess
11. Chris Grevsmuhl
12. John Sutton
13. Sam Burgess

:shock:

Madge would look to balance the team a bit better imo R95.

We could have:

8. G. Burgess
9. D. Cook (McInnes will get first shot but Cook will then get the 9 jersey)
10. D. Tyrrell
11. J. Sutton
12. C. Grevsmuhl
13. S. Burgess

14. K. Turner
15. J. Clark
16. N. Brown
17. T. Burgess

18. C. McInnes
19. P. Carter

Looks great to me R95!!!

Sam would be great for young guys coming through who may play first grade if injuries hit like Musgrove, B. Gray, Whitelaw etc.................

Geez we keep our fingers crossed that he comes back!!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
It has been suggested that we'll know in 48hrs.

The NRL look like they will move heaven & earth to get a player of Sam's profile back.

This will mean losing Walker I would imagine, as he,an International, will attract big offers from Manly & the Titans for starters which Sths,under the present "Burgess" circumstances wouldn't be able to match.
Manly would probably try an establish him as a 5/8,the posse he played most of his Jnr footy!

The Titans would have an electric centre combo in Roberts & Walker if they snagged him.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
The NRL look like they will move heaven & earth to get a player of Sam's profile back.

This will mean losing Walker I would imagine, as he,an International, will attract big offers from Manly & the Titans for starters which Sths,under the present "Burgess" circumstances wouldn't be able to match.
Manly would probably try an establish him as a 5/8,the posse he played most of his Jnr footy!

The Titans would have an electric centre combo in Roberts & Walker if they snagged him.

Yep, Dylan, Grant and McQueen will all have to go. Plus maybe 1 other.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Ok pure theory here
It was rumoured that to get burgess we's need to move on McQueen, Grant and Walker. From what I've gathered on the rumour sites/forums
Titans wanted McQueen
Eels wanted Grant
Walker was rumoured to be in the panthers sights

Today we've had
Gordon released from the titans
Paulo released from the Eels
Idris retired from the panthers

Woofy7

Juniors
Ok pure theory here
It was rumoured that to get burgess we's need to move on McQueen, Grant and Walker. From what I've gathered on the rumour sites/forums
Titans wanted McQueen
Eels wanted Grant

Today we've had

Excellent train of thought..... Hopefully the first two come right and the third isn't required.

Rsag85

Bench
Ok pure theory here
Titans wanted McQueen
Eels wanted Grant

Today we've had

I believe Walker will stay and two other forwards will be looking for new homes thats what I'm hearing at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts