What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doyen

Bench
456673748-sam-burgess-and-greg-inglis-of-the-rabbitohs-gettyimages.jpg

:)

Another story in the Sunday Tele today re. Madge & the Knights!

The crux of the story was----

**Madge had failed to even reply to a text which was sent to him about leaving Sths for N/castle--who was the text from???????

**There had been discussion emanating out of Redfern that Madge's disciplinarian style was wearing thin on the premiers!!

alien

Referee
farah is having a top game at campbelltown right now. i'm starting to think it wouldn't be bad if we could get him for cheap for 2 years. i'm sure madge and the club wouldn't let him run things

DiegoNT

First Grade
We went from 1 finals series in 22 years to 4 straight finals appearances including 2 preliminary finals and 1 premiership.
We've had a mixed year, we lost 2 key players in sam and teo and we've had a lot of injuries and suspensions this year. We've also been let down by poor form from the players. It's way to early to think about dumping Maguire, I think his earnt the right to 1 unsuccessful season ( and we are still in the finals and may still have a run)

hurricane57

Juniors
We went from 1 finals series in 22 years to 4 straight finals appearances including 2 preliminary finals and 1 premiership.
We've had a mixed year, we lost 2 key players in sam and teo and we've had a lot of injuries and suspensions this year. We've also been let down by poor form from the players. It's way to early to think about dumping Maguire, I think his earnt the right to 1 unsuccessful season ( and we are still in the finals and may still have a run)

I absolutely agree, Maguire has been a tonic for Souths.

I would also be really happy if he could change one or to thing's like continuing the same old bash and barge tactics - that would be good.,

DiegoNT

First Grade
He's made mistakes this year , we need to adapt from the bash and barge the games moved on from that. His loyalty to his players has worked in the past but it's bitten him on the ass this year. Overall I think he'll learn from it. All the career coaches like Benett, hasler, Bellamy etc all go through years like this from time to time it's only if we have consecutive years like this that we even think about ditching him

Rabbits20

Immortal
Madge had had four years. The message is stale. Let's see if Rusty has the balls to make a change.

I completely disagree.

Under Madge we have won 65percent of matches.

We made the top 4 for 3 yrs in a row and have made the top 8 this year and now you want him gone.

You obviously want mediocrity back then. Back to the same old before Madge came.

Who would you get then to coach Souths??????

Don't say Toovey as I can't stand him at all. He makes me feel ill.

doyen

Bench

Doesn't matter how many finals one makes if the game aint worth watching.

Nearly all coaches are following the same shitty script & Madge is possibly the main offender.

The game is in a downward spiral to oblivion unless things change dramatically.

This may mean lining up the over-structured,disciplinarian coaches & shooting the bloody lot of them as traitors to the true game of RL!!!
The game is a shambles--by far the worst it's ever been!!

Crowds are down below 15,000 on average which is lousy to say the least.
Who really wants to watch bash & barge week after week, ad nauseam--certainly not me!!!

Last edited:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Remember the beginning of last year they were all saying GI and Sammy weren't getting along?

Look how that turned out :lol:

Yeah Sam left at the end of the season, mid contract. Madge has lost the dressing room from what i have heard. That said i expect next weeks game to be a tight one.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Doesn't matter how many finals one makes if the game aint worth watching.

Nearly all coaches are following the same shitty script & Madge is possibly the main offender.

The game is in a downward spiral to oblivion unless things change dramatically.

This may mean lining up the over-structured,disciplinarian coaches & shooting the bloody lot of them as traitors to the true game of RL!!!
The game is a shambles--by far the worst it's ever been!!

Crowds are down below 15,000 on average which is lousy to say the least.
Who really wants to watch bash & barge week after week, ad nauseam--certainly not me!!!

Crowds may be down but television rating are through the roof, more people are actually watching our game then ever before.

Every team plays a structured game nowdays but we've seen some amazing tries and attacking football this year. Modern defences are to good and gone are the days when you can throw it around and hope for the best.

Line the coaches up and tell them to stop playing structured is to tell them to stop winning, ain't going to happen

doyen

Bench
Crowds may be down but television rating are through the roof, more people are actually watching our game then ever before.

Every team plays a structured game nowdays but we've seen some amazing tries and attacking football this year. Modern defences are to good and gone are the days when you can throw it around and hope for the best.

Line the coaches up and tell them to stop playing structured is to tell them to stop winning, ain't going to happen

Seems like people are prepared to be couch potatoes & go through the monotony but they're not prepared to part with their hard-earned $$$$ to watch it at the grounds--I don't blame them as it's pretty poor value overall.

There are occasional glimpses of brilliance,true, but bash & barge,runs from dummy half with no real intention,hit-ups with no creative intention etc;make up a HUGE % of any match one cares to watch.[maybe 85 to 90%???!!].
There needs to be extreme radical changes if the game is ever going to restore its tumbling stocks as true RL entertainment-----after all;when it's all boiled down it is just sport!

I am still a diehard Sths supporter & have been since the early 50s[I went to the SCG as a 10 yr old in 1955 to watch Sths defeat Newtown in the GF]--& I'll always be one.

But I have also been a diehard supporter of the SWANS since their arrival in Sydney & I love the game--the Swans now have 50,000 members & GWS is starting to build strongly.

So RL needs to watch itself!!!!

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Should become like the afl and fumble around like seagulls chasing a chip, and give out points for almost scoring a goal.

I love the way league is, you have to earn the right to play attacking football, you need to gain momentum by winning the arm wrestle, yet there's still room for individually brilliance. If you like watching a bit of ' chuck around' football try rugby 7s.... but a warning, it's so frickin boring you'll need to be on speed or meth to stop yourself from falling asleep

doyen

Bench
Should become like the afl and fumble around like seagulls chasing a chip, and give out points for almost scoring a goal.

I love the way league is, you have to earn the right to play attacking football, you need to gain momentum by winning the arm wrestle, yet there's still room for individually brilliance. If you like watching a bit of ' chuck around' football try rugby 7s.... but a warning, it's so frickin boring you'll need to be on speed or meth to stop yourself from falling asleep

What's it like where you are in the NT--can you get free to air cover or do you have to rely on paytv??

Suggestions that the Newcastle / Madge rumour is more than just rumour.

Hmmm...

Interesting times.

If any truth to it, wonder who Rusty has in mind to come in as coach.

I have money on Nathan Brown.

Franko

Juniors
The vacant Newcastle coaching job has become a race in two between Michael Maguire and Nathan Brown with the decision set to hinge on whether Maguire is prepared to walk away from the final two years of his contract at South Sydney.
It is understood Maguire has been privately contemplating the possibility of quitting the Rabbitohs for the challenge of taking on the Knights job over the past week after initially being approached more than three weeks ago by high profile Newcastle board member John Quayle.

• Knights players spoke openly about the rumours linking Maguire to the club after Saturday night’s loss to the Bulldogs but CEO Matt Gidley appeared to rule out any chance of it happening because of Maguire’s contractual tie-up to the Bunnies.

But The Daily Telegraph understands the Knights are privately waiting for a definitive answer from Maguire before making any announcement on a replacement for Rick Stone with money not an issue if he decides to quit Souths.

Read more at http://www.nospam9/nrl/knights-coaching-job-down-to-maguire-and-brown-18803/#2mpIq20dLp6jyxk5.99

Status
Not open for further replies.