What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

Noa

First Grade
so you're suggesting that genetic traits have no bearing whatsoever on psychology; they only influence physiology?

Thats basically exactly what Im saying. And its slightly different from what your suggesting im saying. Obviously the ability to concentrate, soak up info, process data, mental disorders (for want of a better word) is some-thing that affects intelligence but thats not some-thing that is prevelant in one type of peoples over another.

The ability to learn isnt stronger in one culture over another, put a african-ameriacn and a japanese in a vacuum and teach them the same things you cant tell me with confidence who will come out smarter but I know who I'll be putting money on though to dunk :D.

Last edited:

sooperdooper

First Grade
I agree because Hayne won it and he isnt even the fastest player at parramatta. Humble and Grothe(injured) are quicker then him and so is our under twenties plyer Sio. Uate, Gorden, Jennings (at full fitness) and a few other would have gone quicker aswell.

I also doubt that Inglis ran at his fastest, he is much quicker then mid 12sec mark, might have been another reason such as fitness or even a bad start. G.I may not have won but I'm sure he could run mid 11s.

caylo you are wrong. Hayne is our fastest over the 100m. Timed and proven many times over.

sooperdooper

First Grade
The first 3 were very quick... the rest were never in it.
Hayne would definately be up there as one of the quickest over 100m..

Serc

First Grade
Soward, Gordon get go in Bolt re-run

ESSENDON flyer Courtenay Dempsey could still be crowned the fastest footballer in Australia - with plans already underway to run an unsponsored 100m sprint before Christmas.

Sport Confidential can reveal organisers of Wednesday night's successful Gatorade Bolt are keen for another dash where Wallaby Lachie Turner will put his crown up for grabs against Dempsey, the Bomber banned from competing by AFL suits because of their own sponsorship deal with sports drink rivals Powerade.

GWS conditioner John Quinn, a former Olympic sprint coach who worked with Dempsey down south, is convinced the indigenous flyer would've run the dash in under 11 seconds to claim the $20,000 cheque. The event would also give Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne - who finished third - more time to work on his start technique, while fellow NRL speedsters, like Gold Coast winger Kevin Gordon and St George Illawarra playmaker Jamie Soward, could also get involved.

Stay tuned.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...o-in-bolt-re-run/story-e6frexnr-1225925067400

Not so sure about Gordon and Soward getting their names in the title, but anything to get people to read I guess :p

rabbitohs

Juniors
As I said multiple times during the post to avoid
---

With regards to the Warriors set up. My point is, they seem to have moved away from the flairy Polynesian play in the halves and second row. Two of my assertions.

Again, if you read the post properly, you'll see I specifically mentioned that my suggestions were not set in stone and indeed up for discussion. A discussion which would be far far more interesting and valuable than erroneously nit picking. Brent Tate would suggest the Warriors are very open to "White" players in the backs. Though why they would play Gasnier on the wing is beyond me. I also find it remarkable that you would attempt to use Gasnier as an example against me when I specifically mentioned during my post that he was a remarkable player that tended to bend the "rules".

I see where you are coming from but the problem with your argument is that you could equally pick a winning team of all white or all other players. Burgess as a second row, Hayne as a full back etc.

For the idea that race to be so important there has to be very few anomalies. Unfortunately there are plenty. Even in such a small sample of people.

The top 10 in each position would have a mixture of races.

Last edited:

urban eel

Juniors
anyone else laughing hard at the irony of a thread about a race turned into a discussion about race

magpie_man

Juniors
Thats basically exactly what Im saying. And its slightly different from what your suggesting im saying. Obviously the ability to concentrate, soak up info, process data, mental disorders (for want of a better word) is some-thing that affects intelligence but thats not some-thing that is prevelant in one type of peoples over another.

The ability to learn isnt stronger in one culture over another, put a african-ameriacn and a japanese in a vacuum and teach them the same things you cant tell me with confidence who will come out smarter but I know who I'll be putting money on though to dunk :D.

it's "basically" "exactly" "slightly different" from what i'm "suggesting" your saying? wtf?
it's pretty naive to suggest that thousands of years of cultural, dietary and environmental influences aren't going to evolutionarily affect a specific race's psyche, especially considering the isolation between the different races until relatively recent times.
"intelligence" is a very glib term to use at any rate. however, there is an inclination within certain cultures - and races - to which side of the brain they predominately use: left for logic, reason, facts; right for creativity, philosophy and the abstract.

westie

Bench
I see where you are coming from but the problem with your argument is that you could equally pick a winning team of all white or all other players. Burgess as a second row, Hayne as a full back etc.

For the idea that race to be so important there has to be very few anomalies. Unfortunately there are plenty. Even in such a small sample of people.

The top 10 in each position would have a mixture of races.

I'm of the opinion there are few anomalies. As I mentioned in the opening post, as I went through the positions, it seemed that there was a natural trend towards certain races in certain positions. I reckon that's just as a result of players drifting toward their most natural position, which would give weight to the theory.

Make a list of your top controlling halves, flair halves, fullbacks, defensive backrowers, attacking backrowers etc. I'm sure you'll find there's a trend already occuring there.

With regards to stacking one side with a certain style of player, I feel it doesn't work. As I mentioned, St George seem to have gone fairly white, and it back-fired when it mattered last year as they didn't have the flair to win the big ones. Of course, they have the mentioned anomalies in guys like Gasnier and Smith. Souths had the flair, but never the consistency.

It's kinda obvious that the successful teams are already balancing their football teams when you consider the most successful sides over the past few years.

Noa

First Grade
it's "basically" "exactly" "slightly different" from what i'm "suggesting" your saying? wtf?
it's pretty naive to suggest that thousands of years of cultural, dietary and environmental influences aren't going to evolutionarily affect a specific race's psyche, especially considering the isolation between the different races until relatively recent times.
"intelligence" is a very glib term to use at any rate. however, there is an inclination within certain cultures - and races - to which side of the brain they predominately use: left for logic, reason, facts; right for creativity, philosophy and the abstract.

Mate there is not one skerrick of scientific evidence that says one particulars cultures brains have evolved more then any others. And again those things your arguing can show up in any person at any time, unlike physiological differences, which arent as random.

And thousands of years ago ? Do you know history well, at any time you can pick out when one culture has been more advanced then the other, then regressed, so you really are just talking rubbish there.

jim_57

Staff member
That was the shambles, hopefully next time they actually make it look professional. For one keep it to all League players and maybe run it on grass at the all stars game.

How about this for a field:

1. Micheal Jennings
2. Greg Inglis (If he loses a bit of pud)
3. Jarryd Hayne
4. Kevin Gordon
5. Akuila Uate
6. Kevin Locke
7. Brett Morris
8. Josh Morris

C1WGA

Juniors
That was the shambles, hopefully next time they actually make it look professional. For one keep it to all League players and maybe run it on grass at the all stars game.

How about this for a field:

1. Micheal Jennings
2. Greg Inglis (If he loses a bit of pud)
3. Jarryd Hayne
4. Kevin Gordon
5. Akuila Uate
6. Kevin Locke
7. Brett Morris
8. Josh Morris

Quality field but I would have Issac Gordon & David Mead in there instead of Greg Inglis & Josh Morris.

Frailty

First Grade
Each club should send a player who is timed as fastest at their club.

The race would be run in club gear - socks, shorts, and jersey - on a the football field before the All-Stars game.

That's the best option.

Doga

Juniors
Quality field but I would have Issac Gordon & David Mead in there instead of Greg Inglis & Josh Morris.
Josh Morris had surgery on his shoulder about a week or so ago. I am certain if he was to race in a month or 2 he will be much quicker than what he showed.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Each club should send a player who is timed as fastest at their club.

The race would be run in club gear - socks, shorts, and jersey - on a the football field before the All-Stars game.

That's the best option.

But they have to be in the top 25, no sending nuffies.