What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

hrundi99 said:
I'm simply not wrong.

If you think these occurrences are anywhere near even (across Australia), you are kidding yourself.

that is your opinion Hrundi

i still think you are wrong though,i see and face this crap every work day.
And after living in Sydney up until 6yrs ago i saw it all the time down there
as i used to follow Blues and Rockabilly bands around the south sydney area
pubs,and lived at Maroubara for 4 yrs

unfortunately imho racism from Aboriginal people is as wide spread as it is from white people......but fortunately imho the racists in both camps are only a small percentage

you and i have differing opinions so we will have to agree to disagree

Anon

Bench
What exactly was it that upset Widders?

Being called black (news flash...he is)
or being called a c#nt?

If it was the latter how many others got called a c#nt (maybe preceeded with slow, fat, old or ugly) in the heat of battle last weekend and just ignored it?

cainen

Juniors
^ Another person defending racism.
If you're calling something a black c*** you're obviously letting them know that being black is a bad thing. It's not that hard to figure out why Widders was offended is it?

fish eel said:
If he said it, its in his character. fullstop. cleanskin or not, he's lost me. Ryan Cross was a cleanskin a week ago.

Dean's word is good enough for me. He is probably one of the best playing assets the game has for all the work he does, seeking no credit. As honest as they come. If he heard something and is upset, thats enough for me.

Best playing assets the game has ??....don't think so !!!.

If he did get racially abused then Fletcher is a fool but it does not mean that Widders is a hero either !!.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
hillbillyjazzer1954 said:
unfortunately imho racism from Aboriginal people is as wide spread as it is from white people......
As wide spread? Yeah I see them everywhere. Those nasty 3% of the population types are making hell for the rest of society.

But never fear... there's plenty of other urban areas left on the map where I'm sure you'll feel more at home. Not sure if the same can be said for all indigenous folk... but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good yarn.
but fortunately imho the racists in both camps are only a small percentage
Fortunately indeed. But hang on a sec... you said, "racism from Aboriginal people is as wide spread as it is from white people."

At the very least, a contradiction. By your own estimate, the white anglo saxon protestants make up the majority of racists.

Stagger eel

Staff member
kia ora storm said:
Best playing assets the game has ??....don't think so !!!.

If he did get racially abused then Fletcher is a fool but it does not mean that Widders is a hero either !!.

well mate, if you ever find out what Dean does off the park, you'll find his more a hero than than he is on it.

some footballers can definetly take a leaf out of his book.

Jordan

Juniors
What is racism exactly? Is it just derogatory comments by race, or is it everything in general? In some ways, I think a lot of people are racist. For example, *edit*, does that make me racist? In saying that, I have no ill feelings towards dark people and besides what I'm attacted to, wouldn't think any differently towards them.

Does racism go 2 ways, or is it just a one sided thing? If someone called me 'white', I'd be like..yeah, man...I..am.. as it's true. Is it ok to call someone 'black' with no insult on the end? I have to admit over the years I've referred to people as "that black guy", or whatever when I didn't know whether they are Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander, Fijian, African American or whatever...as technically you'd be racist if you referred to them by the incorrect race, right?

Willow said:
As wide spread? Yeah I see them everywhere. Those nasty 3% of the population types are making hell for the rest of society.

But never fear... there's plenty of other urban areas left on the map where I'm sure you'll feel more at home. Not sure if the same can be said for all indigenous folk... but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good yarn.
Fortunately indeed. But hang on a sec... you said, "racism from Aboriginal people is as wide spread as it is from white people."

At the very least, a contradiction. By your own estimate, the white anglo saxon protestants make up the majority of racists.

fair enough comments Willow

maybe i should have clarified my comments and said imo racism is as prevelent in some of the Aboriginal population as it is in some of the white population

and if your comment about me feeling at home in other urban areas is having a dig at me,by saying you think i do not want to live in Sydney because of the Aboriginal population....i take offence to that

i am now Living at Taree,because i hate the big smoke and want a quieter lifestyle,not because i dislike Aboriginal people

you and i obviously have differing opinions,so we will have to agree to disagree

cainen

Juniors
It's not black and white (pun intended : P), it's all about the context in which it's said. So it depends on the tone of the statement, the words preceeding and proceeding it, and of course if it's said in a condescending manner.

Calling someone a black c*** is in no doubt a form of racism.

Edit: In response to Jordan's post.

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
fair enough comments Willow

maybe i should have clarified my comments and said imo racism is as prevelent in some of the Aboriginal population as it is in some of the white population

and if your comment about me feeling at home in other urban areas is having a dig at me,by saying you think i do not want to live in Sydney because of the Aboriginal population....i take offence to that

i am now Living at Taree,because i hate the big smoke and want a quieter lifestyle,not because i dislike Aboriginal people

you and i obviously have differing opinions,so we will have to agree to disagree

listen up sweetheart im only gunna say this once but f**k there are aboriginal people everywhere learn to live with it!!!

Panthers_Gurl said:
listen up sweetheart im only gunna say this once but f**k there are aboriginal people everywhere learn to live with it!!!

ok now i am pissed off

open your eyes and read the post properly,I DID NOT SAY that i moved out of sydney because of aboriginal people.......i said i moved out because i do not like the city and wanted a quieter lifestyle

do not try to bait me into an argument,as i do not bite
i do not suffer fools gladly

Bubbabunny

Juniors
Darth Bobo said:
Shane Richardson just showed why he was recuited by Souths, this is a common sense move that could end up saving Fletcher and the Bunnies from having thier ar*e chewed out by the league.

It's the right thing to do and the smart thing to do.

i agree but i still dont have to like it :(

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
ok now i am pissed off

open your eyes and read the post properly,I DID NOT SAY that i moved out of sydney because of aboriginal people.......i said i moved out because i do not like the city and wanted a quieter lifestyle

do not try to bait me into an argument,as i do not bite
i do not suffer fools gladly

nah bra i dont wanna read it again,

this topic is about fletch and what was said, hearing about why in your honest opinion racism both affects both white and black should be a topic elsewhere....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
hillbillyjazzer1954, you can be offended if that's the way you're inclined.
Moving to Taree? Sorry but I'm not sure what that got to do with anything - a bizarre thing to say. Trust me, where you are comfortable is your business and not mine.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic but I'll spell it out if thats what it takes. Surely you understand I'm referring to the difficulty that indigenous people have in getting away from racism....?

And btw, I'm not sure you're having as much trouble explaining yourself as you're trying to make out.

And still on the cryptic front, can you tell me what we are agreeing to disagree on? lol

eddo

Juniors
Timbo said:
OK how about an example from the flip side of the coin?

I have family who own a pub in a country NSW town. There was an aboriginal member of this community who frequently made racial slurs against them, their customers and their friends and family when in the pub. Yet they were told constantly whenever they reported it to the authorities that there was nothing that the law could do.

What did they do? They accepted that it was a small minded moron making a bloody stupid comment, ignored it, and got on with thier lives.

No, they didn't ignore it, they complained to the proper authorities.

Something should have been done then, & something has been done now that Widders has made a complaint.

ausraider

Juniors
For crying out loud.why does it matter if you are called black,white,yellow, when you are black you are black why get offended.btw I am black and have been called what Widders was called every week in our soccer league,and when I was called black merkin I called them white merkin, as long as it stays on field and does not escalate who cares what colour your skin is.I am proud black and am sure whites will say the same.

mickdo

Coach
ausraider said:
For crying out loud.why does it matter if you are called black,white,yellow, when you are black you are black why get offended.btw I am black and have been called what Widders was called every week in our soccer league,and when I was called black merkin I called them white merkin, as long as it stays on field and does not escalate who cares what colour your skin is.I am proud black and am sure whites will say the same.
Good for you if you aren't offended. Lots of people who are subjected to it are however.