What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

Raider Ultra

Bench
Some of you blokes need to head to the north of England and have a look at the racial divide there between whites and Asians if you think racism is such a minor matter.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Regardless of whether he had his feelings hurt or not, that is not a reason to punish Fletcher with a suspension or fine. We all get our feelings hurt at one time or another -thats life. Widders would have been hurting if he was on the field and Parra lose the GF with an 80th minute dropgoal.

If the pain of a racial taunt stays with you forever...what about a relationship breakup, a divorce, the death of a loved one? Hurting someones pride? Can we ban all those things too?

On a societal level, publically inciting racial disharmony works against the interests of society. But as for this event - why can't we just leave it on the footy field?

TooheysNew

Coach
Timbo said:
So we're saying if Fletcher had said 'you c***' instead of 'you black c***' it'd be ok?

I know which is the most offensive word in that sentence. And it isn't black.

Not if you're white. Not if you don't have the connotations that aboriginal people do.

fish eel

Immortal
Timbo said:
So we're saying if Fletcher had said 'you c***' instead of 'you black c***' it'd be ok?

I know which is the most offensive word in that sentence. And it isn't black.

that where your wrong timbo.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
Some of you blokes need to head to the north of England and have a look at the racial divide there between whites and Asians if you think racism is such a minor matter.

Thats what happens when you bring immigrants from such an alien environment and culture in such large numbers and expect them to integrate. They don't integrate, they form their own ghettos and communities and hence breed separatism.

Kaz

junior
If I called someone a White C nothing would happen, but if I called someone a Black C, that would be classed as racism. :shock:

But no-one would care that I called them a C as well. :rolleyes:

innsaneink

Referee
hrundi99 said:
You have a strange way of looking at things...

Well you brought up the options, and no....I dont think he should count himself lucky or anything of the sort, but you say I look at things strangely?

You tell me what you'd choose?

hrundi99 said:
So given that Widders wasn't raped or shot he should think himself lucky?

A dick?
A bullet?
Or a few harsh words?

*Massive sidestep expected.

sydraider

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
But 69 that scenario isn't what occurred.

If it did then it should be treated in exactly the same way.

Aboriginals are frequently abused because of their race, white folks aren't. If you were in their boat you'd get sick of it as well.

You ever been a white man in greenacre or bankstown on a good day???

I remember a man, went buy the name of Ian Roberts, this other person who went by the name of Gary Jack, labelled Ian Roberts a certain term which comes along with being attracted to the same sex, well it wasnt long after that young Ian had jimmy jack hauled off on a stretcher. In other words he left it on the field, where it should stay!
Widders does an awesome amount of work for the indigenous comunity, the guy is a champion, yet some one calls him a !@#%#%#% on the field and he wants to make complaints???

Timbo

Staff member
I'd get offended if someone reffered to me using the 'C' word. But if they add white? So what? They're stating my race. All that proves to me is that they have eyes.

hrundi99

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
Regardless of whether he had his feelings hurt or not, that is not a reason to punish Fletcher with a suspension or fine. We all get our feelings hurt at one time or another -thats life. Widders would have been hurting if he was on the field and Parra lose the GF with an 80th minute dropgoal.

If the pain of a racial taunt stays with you forever...what about a relationship breakup, a divorce, the death of a loved one? Hurting someones pride? Can we ban all those things too?

You really don't understand the impact of racism, do you? There are laws in place to deal with such matters, and the United Natiions thinks it's important.
It's not as simple and inconsequential as you'd like to believe.

On a societal level, publically inciting racial disharmony works against the interests of society. But as for this event - why can't we just leave it on the footy field?

Fletcher (if guilty) is the one inciting racial disharmony.

TooheysNew

Coach
Kaz said:
If I called someone a White C nothing would happen, but if I called someone a Black C, that would be classed as racism. :shock:

But no-one would care that I called them a C as well. :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. You're white too - thats why it would have no effect if you called a white person a White c***.

It's the same as black americans. They call each other n****r all the time - its only when it comes from white people that it is offensive.

Raider_69

Post Whore
hrundi99 said:
But 69 that scenario isn't what occurred.

If it did then it should be treated in exactly the same way.

Aboriginals are frequently abused because of their race, white folks aren't. If you were in their boat you'd get sick of it as well.

My point is, in some occasions it does happen and as much as you say it should be treated the same way, it isnt. These are professional athletes and although racism should not be tolerated, its IMO a minor incident. A hefty fine and a public apology is sufficient

fish eel

Immortal
sydraider said:
Widders does an awesome amount of work for the indigenous comunity, the guy is a champion, yet some one calls him a !@#%#%#% on the field and he wants to make complaints???

And make a complaint he freaking well should if the remark offended him, and he shouldnt have to put up with knobheads like you saying he should cop it sweet. The only opinion that counts in this instance is Deans.

TooheysNew

Coach
Timbo said:
I'd get offended if someone reffered to me using the 'C' word. But if they add white? So what? They're stating my race. All that proves to me is that they have eyes.

Yes, because white people are forever being made the subject of racism aren't they.

Timbo

Staff member
OK how about an example from the flip side of the coin?

I have family who own a pub in a country NSW town. There was an aboriginal member of this community who frequently made racial slurs against them, their customers and their friends and family when in the pub. Yet they were told constantly whenever they reported it to the authorities that there was nothing that the law could do.

What did they do? They accepted that it was a small minded moron making a bloody stupid comment, ignored it, and got on with thier lives.

bartman

Immortal
It's not just about calling someone a name. The rugby league field is Dean Widders (and everyone else's) place of work. They are entitled to do their work without what race, sexual preference, religion etc being mentioned or even being an issue. There are actually laws about it that make what Flecther is alleged to have said ILLEGAL, ie a crime.

It's not about people pointing fingers and getting all moral, it's about protecting people in our community equally to go about their lives and their professional work without needing to justify or be questioned about their race.

For white/anglo australians to say they know and have experienced racism in a culture which is predominantly white/anglo is laughable. I am white/anglo but would never make that claim. But I can understand and support the principle (and the law) that make what Flecther is alleged to have said a big deal and something that a sorry should not be enough to take away.

TooheysNew

Coach
Timbo said:

I have family who own a pub in a country NSW town. There was an aboriginal member of this community who frequently made racial slurs against them, their customers and their friends and family when in the pub. Yet they were told constantly whenever they reported it to the authorities that there was nothing that the law could do.

What did they do? They accepted that it was a small minded moron making a bloody stupid comment, ignored it, and got on with thier lives.

If they want to ignore it then that's their perogative.

The authorities were wrong.

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Well you brought up the options, and no....I dont think he should count himself lucky or anything of the sort, but you say I look at things strangely?

You tell me what you'd choose?

A dick?
A bullet?
Or a few harsh words?

*Massive sidestep expected.

No sidestep needed. Where's the head banging against the brickwall icon?

You're basically saying that Widders should shutup because he didn't have something as bad as being raped or shot happen to him.

Your attempts to marginalise what he experienced are ridiculous.

fish eel

Immortal
Timbo said:

what dilmah said.
none of the racial discrimination laws specific that they are 'black only' laws.