What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

TooheysNew

Coach
hrundi99 said:
No sidestep needed. Where's the head banging against the brickwall icon?

You're basically saying that Widders should shutup because he didn't have something as bad as being raped or shot happen to him.

Your attempts to marginalise what he experienced are ridiculous.

Right here. Little fellows getting a big workout. ](*,)

Moffo

Referee
whats the difference between differentiating someone on the basis of their race as opposed to:

- Hair Colour
- Sexual Preference
- Social Status

etc etc etc etc?

It's all discrimination

Go look up the definition in the dictionary

hrundi99

First Grade
Timbo said:
OK how about an example from the flip side of the coin?

I have family who own a pub in a country NSW town. There was an aboriginal member of this community who frequently made racial slurs against them, their customers and their friends and family when in the pub. Yet they were told constantly whenever they reported it to the authorities that there was nothing that the law could do.

What did they do? They accepted that it was a small minded moron making a bloody stupid comment, ignored it, and got on with thier lives.

Your example has nothing to do with what happened today.

Was the aboriginal being racist? Of course he was. Should something have been done about? Sure. Ultimately, they made the decision to let it go, which was their choice.

sydraider

First Grade
fish eel said:
And make a complaint he freaking well should if the remark offended him, and he shouldnt have to put up with knobheads like you saying he should cop it sweet. The only opinion that counts in this instance is Deans.
Have you ever played a sport in general?? You ever get a rush of blood on the field, frustration at losing?? You never lost your nerve???
You never made a mistake????
Do you really think that bryan feltcher is the type of guy that runs around in hooded white bed sheets and has a brother named jethro who lives in the swamp????

You my friend are a knobhead and so is dean widders for not realising that in such an intense game like rugby league we succumb to such pressures and lose our nerve.
Softc#$ks the lot of yas!
He could have just accepted an apology and got on with it.
And to think woolford was voted sook of the year!

TooheysNew

Coach
Moffo said:
whats the difference between differentiating someone on the basis of their race as opposed to:

- Hair Colour
- Sexual Preference
- Social Status

etc etc etc etc?

It's all discrimination

Yes its all discrimination. No its not all racism.

When was the last time you heard someone on the football field call someone a green eyed merkin?

TooheysNew

Coach
sydraider said:
Have you ever played a sport in general?? You ever get a rush of blood on the field, frustration at losing?? You never lost your nerve???
You never made a mistake????
Do you really think that bryan feltcher is the type of guy that runs around in hooded white bed sheets and has a brother named jethro who lives in the swamp????

You my friend are a knobhead and so is dean widders for not realising that in such an intense game like rugby league we succumb to such pressures and lose our nerve.

Here we go - perfect example of a closed minded person.

bartman

Immortal
Timbo said:
OK how about an example from the flip side of the coin?

I have family who own a pub in a country NSW town. There was an aboriginal member of this community who frequently made racial slurs against them, their customers and their friends and family when in the pub. Yet they were told constantly whenever they reported it to the authorities that there was nothing that the law could do.

What did they do? They accepted that it was a small minded moron making a bloody stupid comment, ignored it, and got on with thier lives.

Because like it or not, a minority using the same tactics they have experienced over time from the majority is often simply the only way someone is a position of little power can "fight back".

I'm not saying it was right of the person in this situation at all, but that could be an explanation for the why it happens. As for why it happens through society originally from the majority culture, I guess it's about imposing or exerting your power on groups that are less powerful, in order to maintain your group's implicit position of control. (See the ethos of current day Liberal Party's "wedge politics" for a great example.)

Not all individuals put that level of thought into it when they make a "throwaway" racial comment, but it helps you understand why it can be a big deal to those on the receiving end. Once you understand that experience of racism is structural not indidivual, and is about power and experiences of powerlessness within a wider context than just an individual comment, then you end up feeling supportive of stances like the one being made by Dean Widders, and realise why it is important to stamp it out of our (or any) professional sport.

Moffo

Referee
i know a jethro who runs around with white bed sheets on and lives in a swamp

You are discriminating against Jethros that run around with white bed sheets on and live in swamps

fish eel

Immortal
sydraider said:

I think that just about speaks for itself.

your a real winner, aren't you?

Moffo

Referee
Dilmah said:

When was the last time you heard someone on the football field call someone a green eyed merkin?

Agreed.

No I haven't but its double standards. I play soccer every weekend and you wouldn't believe how often people are called fat pricks, fat bastards etc etc....not a moment of thought is given to the fact that that is discrimination and to people who may take offense at that, just as hurtful as being called a black merkin

Lego_Man

First Grade
Dilmah said:

Anasta on all those who called him overrated.

Incidentally, this brings to mind the recent controversy where Roosters were revealed to have sledged Anasta about his girlfriends/ ex-girlfriends during games. This was obviously hurtful, personal and offensive, yet did we see Anasta complaining?

He copped it sweet...and so should Widders.

I hear now Fletcher approached Widder's after the game to apologise, yet Widders wasn't having a bar of it.

Someone needs to grow a thicker skin.

Bumble

First Grade
Send Fletch to Wigan now, he was dreadful today and this is just the icing on the cake.

hrundi99

First Grade
Moffo said:

- Hair Colour
- Sexual Preference
- Social Status

etc etc etc etc?

It's all discrimination

Yes but there are laws covering some of these things, and not others.

I would think given what the aboriginal people of this country have had to deal with in the last 200+ years that people would be a bit more empathetic in this situation. Does that mean they are always right? No. Regardless, Widders has every right to be unhappy about the situation.

One thing I will say, is that if you are going to make the allegation, have the balls to make a formal complaint.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm not a bleeding-heart lefty by any stretch of the imagination.

TooheysNew

Coach
If jethro thinks that then Jethro obviously is oblivious to the fact that they can.

No I haven't but its double standards. I play soccer every weekend and you wouldn't believe how often people are called fat pricks, fat bastards etc etc....not a moment of thought is given to the fact that that is discrimination and to people who may take offense at that, just as hurtful as being called a black merkin
I don't agree with that form of discrimination either. One form of discrimination is as bad as any other. It's just that in this case the issue happens to be racism, not weight discrimination or gender discrimination.

Timbo

Staff member
Wait, so because there's a law governing something it automatically makes it worse?

What if I'm REALLY sensitive about my green eyes and someone called me a green eyed c and it really really hurt me.

People would tell me to grow a thicker skin.

Bazal

Post Whore
Kaz said:
If I called someone a White C nothing would happen, but if I called someone a Black C, that would be classed as racism. :shock:

Rashid Latif to Adam Gilchrist?? People say it's just a name, and in essence it is. But it's the sentiment behind one colour person judging another colour person because if that colour. Even in the heat of the moment, and I know Fletcher would be remorseful, it's not on and should be dealt with by the club. Essentially, by including the word "black" Fletcher was implying that Widders is somehow different or perhaps inferior to him because of his colour. That's the problem here. I doubt he'd do it on purpose and I seriously doubt that that is the type of person he is, but he's done it and should be punished by the club.

TooheysNew

Coach
Incidentally, this brings to mind the recent controversy where Roosters were revealed to have sledged Anasta about his girlfriends/ ex-girlfriends during games. This was obviously hurtful, personal and offensive, yet did we see Anasta complaining?

Was it illegal? Were there laws to prevent it?

This is bigger than just rugby league. Racism is a worldwide issue.

Timbo

Staff member
Rashid Latif got off with a slap on the wrist as I recall. Darren Lehmann was nailed to the wall the previous summer when he used the reverse wording.