What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random question

Angry_eel

First Grade
He's tall but very slender. And that's what I mean by small. You don't see many Asians around that have the right body frame to play rugby league at the top level.

Khali.jpg

Eels Dude

Coach
Koreans, Japanese, Indians have excelled at powerlifting, judo, and other power sports over the years. The population of Asia is 3 billion +, you're going to find someone in that lot with the right body shape for league who has immigrated to Australia.

Yes you would, but how many are going to have the skills to play rugby league knowing nothing about the sport?

Eels Dude

Coach
And let's not forget that Asia is more than China and Japan. It goes all the way west to places like Turkey, Georgia, and yes, as others have mentioned, Lebanon.

Also, one of the reasons a lot of east Asians are small is because of poor diet. I am not particularly tall but stand taller than most Vietnamese who are older than me. But the next generation of Vietnamese are a lot bigger than their parents, due to having access to more nutricious food. I would imagine it is the same in a lot of other developing countries...

I know that. When most people use the term 'Asian' it's referring to oriental. When someone says 'he's Asian' you're not referring to someone of Indian descent.

And you are correct. Relying on those staple foods certainly hasn't helped. But the slender form is the reason why you're not going to see Asian players in the NRL. Their genetics and their cultures will not result in players being big enough to play the sport.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yes you would, but how many are going to have the skills to play rugby league knowing nothing about the sport?
Australians of Asian descent would be exposed to the game. Look at Anh Do, a huge league fan. I'm not saying it's going to happen but to rule it out based on a perception that all Asians are too small is crazy, there are different shapes and sizes in all nationalities. If the likes of Alfie Langer, Matt Bowen and others can do it why not an Asian.

And orientals? I'm not PC by any stretch but that phrase went out with ching chong chinaman.

Eels Dude

Coach
Australians of Asian descent would be exposed to the game. Look at Anh Do, a huge league fan. I'm not saying it's going to happen but to rule it out based on a perception that all Asians are too small is crazy, there are different shapes and sizes in all nationalities. If the likes of Alfie Langer, Matt Bowen and others can do it why not an Asian.

And orientals? I'm not PC by any stretch but that phrase went out with ching chong chinaman.

I wasn't intending to make the generalisation that ALL asians are small... moreso point out that out of the general population of asian people the percentage of those that have the body shape to be able to play rugby league is very low in comparison to say causasians and islanders. Hell, these days even caucasian players are finding it tough to break through due to islander youngsters developing a lot faster physically.

Asian players can break through. It's just a lot harder for them. Especially if it's not a sport they play growing up.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I wasn't intending to make the generalisation that ALL asians are small... moreso point out that out of the general population of asian people the percentage of those that have the body shape to be able to play rugby league is very low in comparison to say causasians and islanders. Hell, these days even caucasian players are finding it tough to break through due to islander youngsters developing a lot faster physically.

Asian players can break through. It's just a lot harder for them. Especially if it's not a sport they play growing up.
Fair enough.

I hope it does happen one day, Australia as a country is changing and league has to change with it.

juro

Bench
I know that. When most people use the term 'Asian' it's referring to oriental. When someone says 'he's Asian' you're not referring to someone of Indian descent.

And you are correct. Relying on those staple foods certainly hasn't helped. But the slender form is the reason why you're not going to see Asian players in the NRL. Their genetics and their cultures will not result in players being big enough to play the sport.
That is pretty true in Australia. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that in England, east Asians are referred to as orientals and South Asians (Indians, etc) are referred to as Asians. I guess it depends who you are talking to...

jessien

Juniors
It has to enter the culture more anyway, you only get great players if they play from an early age...

feeding frenzy

Juniors
Yeah but nobody remembers him because he didn't last long. Dogs got rid of him after realising he wasn't developed by another club.

As for Omar Slaimankhel, he's from Afghanistan, not Pakistan.

Aarom Groom played for Manly juniors went to the dogs got screwed by management as they bought in noddy played for Fiji in world cup 2 MOM then ended up at shefeild and blew his knee out back to back seasons now playing for the mighty Asquith Magpies.

feeding frenzy

Juniors
Aarom Groom played for Manly juniors went to the dogs got screwed by management as they bought in noddy played for Fiji in world cup 2 MOM then ended up at shefeild and blew his knee out back to back seasons now playing for the mighty Asquith Magpies.

Half Philo Have fijiian.

Euphoria85

Juniors
Still remember the Denis Bendall - Wayne Wigham centres partnership for the Tigers. Bendall broke his neck in a diving accident - bloody tragedy.

And lol@ the "asians are too small" rubbish. Sumo wrestlers anyone?

An all Asian RL side...
1. Rod Silva
2. Hasem El Masri
3. Dennis Bendall
4. Hasan Saleh
5. Ahmed Bajouri
6. Craig Wing
7. Benny Elias
8. Tim Mannah
9. Robbie Farah
10. Paul Khan
11. John Elias
12. Darren Maroon
13. George Ndira

Cook Islands would flog 'em.

they are not asian (chinese, japanese), they are lebanese. big difference from asian.

p.s i know they are from middle east of asia lol

HowHigh

Coach
I wouldn't consider El Masri, Manah etc asian
They're middle eastern, different to asian imo

I think the OP meant more of a south east asian player (china, vietnam, taiwan etc) lol

Latest posts