What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random thoughts......

forward pass

Coach
I dont get to post on weekends so am just catching up.

1) Why do we have so much trouble finding the touch line from penalties? I now count 5 times in last 5 matches we have failed to find touch.

Yesterdays hurt us, but it is unforgivable at any time. You can understand the occasional one but now it's every week? Practice boys - before we get to the big stuff.

2) What a great debut from Delaney. Apart from a Semi, he couldn't have picked a tougher match to debut. There is no doubt that BS was protecting him during the week. I doubt Wags was ever going to play.

3) We really missed Morro. Much more than Tahu or Wade. He is such an important cog in our side now. I hope he gets back soon.

4) H Perenara. This guy seems to have potential but he has made some shocking errors. I thought Hindy should have passed a fraction sooner but still no excuse. It was there to be caught.

5) Gee Hindy can get angry can't he? I have never seen him lose it like that before. It seemed to fire up both sides.

6) Saints were watching Deano SO closeley yesterday. He destroyed them last time and they were ready for his step every time yesterday. That closed down a lot of our strikepower.

7) I personally think that Tim Smith overdoes the pass back inside to a forward. I know it worked for Caylos try but he seems to do it an awful lot and Saints were all over it. (but once). I might be being harsh but I would still like to see our centres get a little bit more ball.

8) Great take under pressure by Luke Burt of that bomb. I thought he had a great match. I know he gets bagged for his defence but he is not the worst defender in our side imo.

9) We'll get 'em next time. We paid big time for errors and penalties and we should learn from that. eg They scored straight after Deanos penalty which I thought was a bit tough. Great effort overall and at least we all know that we in this thing up to our armpits. Yesterday was our BIGGEST test so far and we were only a bees d**k from winning it. Can't wait for the semis.

Glen

Bench
We definately need to get the ball out to Ben Smith and Grothe more often. They looked dangerous every time they got it yesterday

1) We are trying to be to Greedy for distance.
2) Yep but in back play of Camera had to swap with Burt to get a rest, Looked very tired at about the 20 min mark. Still taking nothing away from a Kookaburra(Lalor Park JRLFC) being one myself.
3) Yep he would have been defending beside Tim and might have helped a great deal.
4) It is bad luck that he has done it twice and also bad luck he can't make up for it will his leg injury. I am sure he will be doing some extra skills training in regards to that.

The rest I also agree with.

walker smith

Juniors
hybrideel said:
Smith and Grothe totally outplayed "The best centre in the world" and his wing partner

I agree with most of this post....i would also add that i would like to see a bomb or two thrown into the mix!

Stagger eel

Staff member
walker smith said:
I agree with most of this post....i would also add that i would like to see a bomb or two thrown into the mix!

well we did alot of things right however our 5th tackle options did let us down, I agree we need to mix it up.

Utey

Coach
We did a lot of things which were wrong. But we can take a lot out of this game.

forward pass

Coach
Watching the match again last night, I can't believe PJ missed that kick for touch.

He took it from one metre in !!!!!!!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Watching the match again last night, I can't believe PJ missed that kick for touch.

He took it from one metre in !!!!!!!!!!

it's almost unforgivable, even the best kickers will concede distance and take safe option being close to the sideline.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
it's almost unforgivable, even the best kickers will concede distance and take safe option being close to the sideline.

Indeed.

Even if he had kicked it straight out, we still would have been 40 out with 6 tackles. The fact they scored off that set of six makes it more unforgivable.
It should NEVER happen again.

Suity

BD5733

Juniors
I think Tim Smith needs to improve his awareness and readiness when backing up. There have been quite a few occasions where he has had the ball offloaded back to him and he has dropped it because he didnt seem to be expecting it.

Bugger improving his running to the line, he doesn't need that just yet.

yy_cheng

Coach
I reckon he expects it. I reckon he is thinking what he wants to do next rather than keeping his eyes on the ball.

Eelementary

Post Whore
1) Why do we have so much trouble finding the touch line from penalties? I now count 5 times in last 5 matches we have failed to find touch.

Yesterdays hurt us, but it is unforgivable at any time. You can understand the occasional one but now it's every week? Practice boys - before we get to the big stuff.

I for one think we tend to go for too much territory, particularly in tight matches, to take some pressure off our forwards

It is costing us, but we'll fix it.

2) What a great debut from Delaney. Apart from a Semi, he couldn't have picked a tougher match to debut. There is no doubt that BS was protecting him during the week. I doubt Wags was ever going to play.

I thought he was solid - nothing spectacular.

Having said that though, against an in-form Dragons team, that's all you could really ever wish for.

3) We really missed Morro. Much more than Tahu or Wade. He is such an important cog in our side now. I hope he gets back soon.

Definitely. Morrison is our Hindy number two.

4) H Perenara. This guy seems to have potential but he has made some shocking errors. I thought Hindy should have passed a fraction sooner but still no excuse. It was there to be caught.

Henry DOES have potential, but at the moment, it will best be served in Premier League. Since carving up the Sharks, he's lost a lot of the form he had.

5) Gee Hindy can get angry can't he? I have never seen him lose it like that before. It seemed to fire up both sides.

He's been very aggressive this year - his fends, tackles and runs have all had plenty of sting. Great stuff.

6) Saints were watching Deano SO closeley yesterday. He destroyed them last time and they were ready for his step every time yesterday. That closed down a lot of our strikepower.

I also think Dean was holding back a bit. In fatc, I think Cannings was too, as was possibly Marsh. The coach has stated publicly that he has a few aces up his sleeve, and he has also mentioned how Cannings, Marsh and Widders will be his X-factors.

7) I personally think that Tim Smith overdoes the pass back inside to a forward. I know it worked for Caylos try but he seems to do it an awful lot and Saints were all over it. (but once). I might be being harsh but I would still like to see our centres get a little bit more ball.

Timmy is trying new things - namely, to run the ball more. Once he gets a dangerous running game, he'll be much greater than he currently is.

8) Great take under pressure by Luke Burt of that bomb. I thought he had a great match. I know he gets bagged for his defence but he is not the worst defender in our side imo.

Yes, I too thought Luke played very well.

9) We'll get 'em next time. We paid big time for errors and penalties and we should learn from that. eg They scored straight after Deanos penalty which I thought was a bit tough. Great effort overall and at least we all know that we in this thing up to our armpits. Yesterday was our BIGGEST test so far and we were only a bees d**k from winning it. Can't wait for the semis.

Exactly right.

They played well in patches, but I thought, apart from the first 30 to 35 minutes of the match, we outplayed them.

The fact that the basic difference was a field goal and a missed conversion says a lot about how well they picked up in that second stanza.