What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Ned Kelly

Juniors
If there was anything that would encourage me to go out to the game against Parra this is it.

Wests Tigers fans set to take protest action after diabolical start to 2023​

A group of angry fans are reportedly planning to walk out of their next game against Parramatta.​

Sam Goodwin
Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
Wed, 5 April 2023 at 12:41 pm AEST·3-min read

Wests Tigers fans, pictured here alongside Tim Sheens.

Wests Tigers fans are reportedly planning a protest against the club. Image: Getty
Furious Wests Tigers fans are reportedly planning a protest during the club's next game against Parramatta, after a diabolical start to the NRL season. The Tigers were thumped 46-12 by the Broncos last week, consigning them to an 0-5 start for the second-straight year.
In an embarrassing slice of history, the Tigers are the first team since 1968 to start two consecutive seasons without a win in their first five games. As well as a plethora of on-field issues, the club has also endured a number of off-field dramas.

Sam Goodwin
Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
Wed, 5 April 2023 at 12:41 pm AEST·3-min read

Wests Tigers fans, pictured here alongside Tim Sheens.

Wests Tigers fans are reportedly planning a protest against the club. Image: Getty
Furious Wests Tigers fans are reportedly planning a protest during the club's next game against Parramatta, after a diabolical start to the NRL season. The Tigers were thumped 46-12 by the Broncos last week, consigning them to an 0-5 start for the second-straight year.
In an embarrassing slice of history, the Tigers are the first team since 1968 to start two consecutive seasons without a win in their first five games. As well as a plethora of on-field issues, the club has also endured a number of off-field dramas.

CEO Justin Pascoe came under fire when he was spotted on the field before their game against the Broncos, as well as in the change-rooms at half-time. Fullback Daine Laurie was then slammed by fans for 'liking' a video showing Selwyn Cobbo scoring against the Tigers, which came after Laurie was dropped to reserve grade.
And it got even worse on Tuesday when fans and commentators noticed that the club's commemorative jersey for Anzac Day depicts American soldiers - rather than Aussie ones. Amidst all the drama, fans have clearly had enough.

A number of fans have set up the 'Wests Tigers Action Group' on Facebook, with Wide World of Sports reporting that protest action is in the works for the Easter Monday game at Accor Stadium. The report states that fans are "considering a variety of moves", with one being a walk-out during the game.

The group is also reportedly planning to stand and turn their backs to the field in the 11th minute - a reference to the fact the Tigers haven't made the finals in 11 years. The last time the joint venture played finals football came way back in 2011, when they finished fourth on the ladder before losing in the semi-finals.

The group's administrator Clint Schmeider told Wide World of Sports: "We have been poor in terms of results for over a decade and nothing seems to change. The fans have had enough...This isn't aimed at the players - it's the people who run the club who need to be held accountable. They are making the poor decisions and we fans suffer as a result."

I heard Brett Papworth on the radio yesterday say that these game day protests should be thought out better and the people organising must decide if it’s the management you want out, don’t protest at the game, show support for your team at the game.

I assume the protest starter would be one who’s disgusted with the whole lot of them including the players, but then no doubt, it’s Sheens & Furner who should be included as management types.

It will be interesting to read about the game and any protest on here come Monday afternoon.

Tigerm

First Grade

Brooks’ future up in the air at Tigers​

Off-contract Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks says there is no timeline on a decision about his future with the struggling NRL club.

Brooks has played all 11 seasons of his career at the Tigers but has been maligned by the club’s fanbase for his inability to inspire a finals berth during that time.

The 28-year-old is earning more than $1 million this season, the last of his contract, and has been able to negotiate with rivals since November.

Amid speculation a fresh start could be just what he needed, Brooks was linked with a move to Newcastle last year but it was his previous halves partner Jackson Hastings who ended up making the move to the Knights.

Coach Tim Sheens has been a staunch defender of Brooks, moving Hastings on in the off-season to ensure Brooks and Adam Doueihi could play together in the halves.

But the Tigers have since played the market for a new half, making a failed play to lure halfback Mitchell Moses back from Parramatta.

Luke Brooks. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
Since then, the Tigers have been linked to Canberra playmaker Jack Wighton, who told the Raiders last month he would test the open market for 2024 and beyond.

Tigers back-rower John Bateman encouraged his former Raiders teammate to seriously consider making the move when quizzed earlier this week.

Wighton’s market value sits above or around seven figures, meaning the Tigers would likely be unable to retain Brooks and successfully lock down the 2020 Dally M Medallist.

As the club weighs its options up, Brooks insists his immediate future is of no concern as long as the Tigers (0-5) continue to languish at the bottom of the ladder. “To be honest, I haven’t really thought about it,” he said.

“There’s a lot going on. That’s the last thing on my mind. I’ll worry about that when it comes. At the moment, I’m just focusing on trying to get a win.”

Any new contract would likely stretch into Benji Marshall’s tenure as head coach, which begins from 2025. Brooks has enjoyed working with the premiership-winning playmaker, an assistant to Sheens.

“His positivity, it’s a credit to the coaches,” he said. “They’re still upbeat and keeping us positive, even though we’ve had a tough start. So that’s definitely helped us.”

The halfback’s comments come as he prepares to welcome Doueihi back to the halves after his brief stint at fullback. Charlie Staines returns to the No.1 jersey in the fourth different starting spine combination the Tigers have deployed through six rounds.

“It’s not ideal,” Brooks said of the instability. “But I guess that happens when you’re not winning. For us, we’ve just got to put in a good performance and that eases the pressure.

“‘Ads’ playing five-eighth, he obviously wants to play there and he’s a great runner of the ball. We’ve also got ‘Stainesy’ at the back and he’ll add a lot.”

After spending two weeks playing next to Brandon Wakeham, Brooks admitted Doueihi was his preferred halves partner. “I think so,” he said. “I guess it’s not up to me but I think for me, it doesn’t matter who’s five-eighth or fullback, my job still stays the same.

“(Adam and I) we work well together, he’s a runner of the ball so I’ve got to get him in positions to thread the line.”

He could still play’: Benji channels Moses during training masterclass​

Benji Marshall rolled back the clock and put on a training masterclass in a bid to help the Wests Tigers try to stop one-time target and Parramatta’s new $6m man, Mitchell Moses.

At the ripe old age of 38, Marshall produced some magical touches at Concord on Friday as he completed the entire session running with the opposition side - and directly opposite Luke Brooks.

Marshall only gets hands-on for the majority of a session if the club is short on numbers. But his display in the training run, firing cut-out passes and directing traffic around the park, will be on par with whatever Moses can produce on Easter Monday.

Brooks was full of praise for Marshall, who - it must be said - had the luxury of not being roughed up too much by the players.

It is hard to think of any other club that boasts an incoming head coach so willing and able to get as heavily involved as Marshall does.
“He’s pretty hard to stop out there,” Brooks said. “He could still play, and he is fit. I think it’s seeing how his body would hold up. But it’s good to have someone like him run their attack so we know what’s coming [on the weekend].”

Moses inked a deal worth around $1.2m a season to stay at the Eels, while Brooks, who is on around $1.1m this year as part of a heavily back-ended deal, will need to take a substantial pay cut next year.

He has not spoken publicly since Moses rejected the chance to come home and join him at the joint venture, but said he was none the wiser about his own movements for 2024 and beyond.

“I would have loved to have Mitch here, but I’m happy for him, and he got the best deal for him and where he will be happy,” Brooks said.

“It doesn’t impact [what I do]. I haven’t thought about it too much. I’m focused on playing footy. I haven’t spoken to them [the Tigers] at all. We haven’t had a good start. I just want a win. In a perfect world I’d love to [stay]. I know it doesn’t work out that way. Whatever happens, happens.”

would he?

Tigerm

First Grade

Pulling the Tigers' teeth: Part 1 - Is this squad as bad as they're showing?

The only detestable NRL game I’ve seen this season was Newcastle versus Wests. While there have been blowouts and mismatches, every game has offered something even if it was just the pleasure of watching a great attack firing, meanwhile most games have offered significantly more.

But the Knights-Tigers game showed two teams where neither was capable of letting the other lose.

Circumstances are not improving for Wests, so let’s look at how to improve performance within the current roster. This article, Part 1, reviews the current team while Part 2 will propose a structure and game plan.

My view of NRL teams circa 2023 is that there are three core truths. The truths do not guarantee a premiership but they do allow for each team to put up a fight and win enough games, and populate enough highlight reels, to keep the fans on board and spectators interested.

1. Every team has a roster capable of competing each week
2. When they don’t compete, the players are not being used to their strengths
3. The pace of the game allows effort to mitigate skill when well directed.

When reviewing Wests, they have a competitive roster which includes a few players welcome in any team: win a few games and the number welcome elsewhere increases. The Tigers also have effort covered: they are clearly trying, but they are trying as individuals. What they don’t have is players being used to their strengths.

Let’s take some time reviewing their players.

Luke Brooks

Despite the criticism, Brooks is a very good playmaker, but he is not being put in situations he is able to exploit. That word exploit is key to Brooks: he needs a defence that has already shifted, enabling him to attack pattern mismatch or isolate individuals. His pack has not given him movement and, when he does receive the ball, he is looking at a settled defence.

When we cast back to the best of Brooks, we see the same pattern albeit in a different structure. Using 2018, he was awarded Dally M Halfback of the Year (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck won the Dally M) but played with Robbie Farah (mid-year signing) at hooker and Benji Marshall at five-eighth, both of whom are dominant spine players and shifted the defensive focus.

Brooks’ 2018 season was built on the run leading to line-breaks: his try assist total was not that impressive at 10 for the season. The Tigers of this vintage were noted for a high rate of passing amongst the forwards prior to contact. While not effective in and of itself, it may have created the defensive line micro-adjustments a player like Brooks exploits.

Wests need to be creating enough movement in the defensive line for Brooks to be able to exploit. Brooks needs enough stand-off that he sees opportunities. At the moment, all he sees is a settled defence tracking him. Without dwelling on Hastings’ departure, the Tigers need to structure to achieve discordance in the defensive line with Brooks in a position with the time to observe and attack weakness.

Apisai Koroisau

A lot of empty noise regarding Koroisau not starting in the early rounds. This was Tim Sheens following the current coaching fashion of two hookers while Koroisau is now 30 and nearing 200 games. The important part, overlooked, is the Tigers forwards had no idea how to play off Koroisau.

Kosoisau’s bread and butter is a body alignment suggesting a different action to the one taken. Some of this is run feint, most of it is shoulder, hip and head alignment suggesting a different pass target and timing to the actual recipient. While Grant pauses the defence, Koroisau causes momentary uncertainty which wears the defender down over time.

This works brilliantly in a Penrith structure where the players role through their tasks and trust their playmakers to get them the ball. For the Tigers, Koroisau’s deception is working just as well on the ball receivers as the defenders.

The best of Koroisau came with a partner in crime in the form of Isaah Yeo. From tackle two onwards, Koroisau always had one target in Yeo, who understood his game intimately, and line runners as secondary targets.

He does not have a foil at Wests: to date, Fonua Pole has filled the lock jersey. Pole is a young player but a prop in the junior grades so is still learning the craft of first grade. He is not a natural distributor so another victim of the semi-popular trend of playing three middles in the starting pack.

To get the best from Koroisau, Wests need to rack and stack line runners, tell them to ignore the shape they think they, run at their chosen hole and trust Koroisau to hit them. What good looks like is every ruck from tackle two has a minimum of two line runners in motion with both on the same side of the ruck: Koroisau plays subtle, he wants to pick between similar lines.

Ideally, some effort would be devoted to developing a partnered distribution target, a run-pass threat who Koroisau can team as the Tigers’ version of Yeo. Luckily, Wests have such a player but more on that later.

David Klemmer

The interesting thing about David Klemmer is that, as the game as accelerated and he has aged, his build has become increasingly leaner. While his output and effectiveness has remained high, he is no longer the eye-rolling angry man that is a little bigger and a lot scarier than most forwards, today’s David Klemmer looks grumpy rather than mean.

2023 Klemmer will still try and be the alpha but it is no longer his forte, today he needs to be the high productivity forward that puts in a strong 50 minutes, makes his tackles and generates fast play the ball. The 2023 KPI for Klemmer is one strong line engagement in every second set, with success measured in finding his front and a quick play the ball. That’s all he needs to do to be a better than average prop and an effective part of the team.

Isaiah Papali’i

Isaiah Papali’i came to prominence through hard line running on the Parra edge. Is Papali’i a good player benefiting from the Paramatta system rather than an exceptional player. But there is no reason the Tigers can’t shape an edge to Papali’i’s liking.

Edge running benefits when the defence is adjusting. Parramatta set up their edges on the back of Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Junior Paulo compressing the line through the middle, meaning the defence needs to spread at pace to address a wide runner. Most edge running is outside-in whereas edge lines at Parramatta are often inside-out, with the edge runner slipping the tackle rather than seeking to off-balance to the inside.

The challenge with the Parramatta system is that it places the edge runner in a different position relative to the ball distributer and places different positioning requirements on the centre and winger. However, these are not insurmountable and are just training drills.

John Bateman

John Bateman has proven himself a genuine point of difference player during his abbreviated Canberra stay, was a big part of the Raiders’ 2019 Grand Final push and picked up the Dally M Second Rower of the Year to boot. 2020 wasn’t as much fun but he has already shown glimpses of his best in 2023.

Bateman has room to be unorthodox.

The Englishman selects moments when he takes control of a match. He will run his lines, make his tackles and support his playmakers, but when given room and opportunity, he does John Bateman things to set up a try or make the god-mode tackle. Sometimes, it looks like he just gets tired with what’s happening around him and decides to change things up.

So, to get the best out of Bateman: give him a structure he can play within and just accept he will write his own script when he wants.

Adam Doueihi

Adam Doueihi has consistently been the Tigers’ best attacking threat across the last two years, with a lot of it coming down the right side. Douiehi’s style is to primarily run and pass, with a strong bias towards engaging the line followed by a short pass, which makes him vulnerable to interception against awake outside backs but also effective at feeding hole runners while in contact.

The problem with Doueihi? When playing in the halves, what he does is similar to Brooks and he is not equipped to be the primary first receiver nor game manager. Oh, and there is this little issue with his tackling reliability. Doueihi is part of the best Tigers 13 and by some margin. He must be in the team, he certainly is not a fullback and he needs to be on the ball or he is wasted. He also can’t be the halves partner of Luke Brooks.

Alex Twal

Twal won’t win Wests any games but he will lay the platform. Twal highlights that the Tigers have some of those meat-and-potatoes players needed in a competitive outfit.

The rest

The rest of the roster is a solid first grade assortment that are adequate for the purposes of a competitive squad. In the forwards, there are some young players with some potential such as Pole, Stefan Utoikamanu and Shawn Blore while Joe Ofahengaue is Pole’s predecessor in the prop pretending to be a lock role.

The backs are a little average on the skill stakes and a little less than average on the tackle but do offer lots of something that is very useful: speed.

Charlie Staines, Brent Naden and Dane Laurie are all express and it is a young outside backs roster with most in their early twenties while Naden is the old man at 27. There is a ‘sameness’ to all the Wests outside backs, they won’t win the power game but won’t lose the beach sprint.

What is also clear is that it isn’t working at the Tigers.

Ive had to delete bits of the article to fit it in

Tiger Ted

Bench

Pulling the Tigers' teeth: Part 1 - Is this squad as bad as they're showing?

The only detestable NRL game I’ve seen this season was Newcastle versus Wests. While there have been blowouts and mismatches, every game has offered something even if it was just the pleasure of watching a great attack firing, meanwhile most games have offered significantly more.

But the Knights-Tigers game showed two teams where neither was capable of letting the other lose.

Circumstances are not improving for Wests, so let’s look at how to improve performance within the current roster. This article, Part 1, reviews the current team while Part 2 will propose a structure and game plan.

My view of NRL teams circa 2023 is that there are three core truths. The truths do not guarantee a premiership but they do allow for each team to put up a fight and win enough games, and populate enough highlight reels, to keep the fans on board and spectators interested.

1. Every team has a roster capable of competing each week
2. When they don’t compete, the players are not being used to their strengths
3. The pace of the game allows effort to mitigate skill when well directed.

When reviewing Wests, they have a competitive roster which includes a few players welcome in any team: win a few games and the number welcome elsewhere increases. The Tigers also have effort covered: they are clearly trying, but they are trying as individuals. What they don’t have is players being used to their strengths.

Let’s take some time reviewing their players.

Luke Brooks

Despite the criticism, Brooks is a very good playmaker, but he is not being put in situations he is able to exploit. That word exploit is key to Brooks: he needs a defence that has already shifted, enabling him to attack pattern mismatch or isolate individuals. His pack has not given him movement and, when he does receive the ball, he is looking at a settled defence.

When we cast back to the best of Brooks, we see the same pattern albeit in a different structure. Using 2018, he was awarded Dally M Halfback of the Year (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck won the Dally M) but played with Robbie Farah (mid-year signing) at hooker and Benji Marshall at five-eighth, both of whom are dominant spine players and shifted the defensive focus.

Brooks’ 2018 season was built on the run leading to line-breaks: his try assist total was not that impressive at 10 for the season. The Tigers of this vintage were noted for a high rate of passing amongst the forwards prior to contact. While not effective in and of itself, it may have created the defensive line micro-adjustments a player like Brooks exploits.

Wests need to be creating enough movement in the defensive line for Brooks to be able to exploit. Brooks needs enough stand-off that he sees opportunities. At the moment, all he sees is a settled defence tracking him. Without dwelling on Hastings’ departure, the Tigers need to structure to achieve discordance in the defensive line with Brooks in a position with the time to observe and attack weakness.

Apisai Koroisau

A lot of empty noise regarding Koroisau not starting in the early rounds. This was Tim Sheens following the current coaching fashion of two hookers while Koroisau is now 30 and nearing 200 games. The important part, overlooked, is the Tigers forwards had no idea how to play off Koroisau.

Kosoisau’s bread and butter is a body alignment suggesting a different action to the one taken. Some of this is run feint, most of it is shoulder, hip and head alignment suggesting a different pass target and timing to the actual recipient. While Grant pauses the defence, Koroisau causes momentary uncertainty which wears the defender down over time.

This works brilliantly in a Penrith structure where the players role through their tasks and trust their playmakers to get them the ball. For the Tigers, Koroisau’s deception is working just as well on the ball receivers as the defenders.

The best of Koroisau came with a partner in crime in the form of Isaah Yeo. From tackle two onwards, Koroisau always had one target in Yeo, who understood his game intimately, and line runners as secondary targets.

He does not have a foil at Wests: to date, Fonua Pole has filled the lock jersey. Pole is a young player but a prop in the junior grades so is still learning the craft of first grade. He is not a natural distributor so another victim of the semi-popular trend of playing three middles in the starting pack.

To get the best from Koroisau, Wests need to rack and stack line runners, tell them to ignore the shape they think they, run at their chosen hole and trust Koroisau to hit them. What good looks like is every ruck from tackle two has a minimum of two line runners in motion with both on the same side of the ruck: Koroisau plays subtle, he wants to pick between similar lines.

Ideally, some effort would be devoted to developing a partnered distribution target, a run-pass threat who Koroisau can team as the Tigers’ version of Yeo. Luckily, Wests have such a player but more on that later.

David Klemmer

The interesting thing about David Klemmer is that, as the game as accelerated and he has aged, his build has become increasingly leaner. While his output and effectiveness has remained high, he is no longer the eye-rolling angry man that is a little bigger and a lot scarier than most forwards, today’s David Klemmer looks grumpy rather than mean.

2023 Klemmer will still try and be the alpha but it is no longer his forte, today he needs to be the high productivity forward that puts in a strong 50 minutes, makes his tackles and generates fast play the ball. The 2023 KPI for Klemmer is one strong line engagement in every second set, with success measured in finding his front and a quick play the ball. That’s all he needs to do to be a better than average prop and an effective part of the team.

Isaiah Papali’i

Isaiah Papali’i came to prominence through hard line running on the Parra edge. Is Papali’i a good player benefiting from the Paramatta system rather than an exceptional player. But there is no reason the Tigers can’t shape an edge to Papali’i’s liking.

Edge running benefits when the defence is adjusting. Parramatta set up their edges on the back of Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Junior Paulo compressing the line through the middle, meaning the defence needs to spread at pace to address a wide runner. Most edge running is outside-in whereas edge lines at Parramatta are often inside-out, with the edge runner slipping the tackle rather than seeking to off-balance to the inside.

The challenge with the Parramatta system is that it places the edge runner in a different position relative to the ball distributer and places different positioning requirements on the centre and winger. However, these are not insurmountable and are just training drills.

John Bateman

John Bateman has proven himself a genuine point of difference player during his abbreviated Canberra stay, was a big part of the Raiders’ 2019 Grand Final push and picked up the Dally M Second Rower of the Year to boot. 2020 wasn’t as much fun but he has already shown glimpses of his best in 2023.

Bateman has room to be unorthodox.

The Englishman selects moments when he takes control of a match. He will run his lines, make his tackles and support his playmakers, but when given room and opportunity, he does John Bateman things to set up a try or make the god-mode tackle. Sometimes, it looks like he just gets tired with what’s happening around him and decides to change things up.

So, to get the best out of Bateman: give him a structure he can play within and just accept he will write his own script when he wants.

Adam Doueihi

Adam Doueihi has consistently been the Tigers’ best attacking threat across the last two years, with a lot of it coming down the right side. Douiehi’s style is to primarily run and pass, with a strong bias towards engaging the line followed by a short pass, which makes him vulnerable to interception against awake outside backs but also effective at feeding hole runners while in contact.

The problem with Doueihi? When playing in the halves, what he does is similar to Brooks and he is not equipped to be the primary first receiver nor game manager. Oh, and there is this little issue with his tackling reliability. Doueihi is part of the best Tigers 13 and by some margin. He must be in the team, he certainly is not a fullback and he needs to be on the ball or he is wasted. He also can’t be the halves partner of Luke Brooks.

Alex Twal

Twal won’t win Wests any games but he will lay the platform. Twal highlights that the Tigers have some of those meat-and-potatoes players needed in a competitive outfit.

The rest

The rest of the roster is a solid first grade assortment that are adequate for the purposes of a competitive squad. In the forwards, there are some young players with some potential such as Pole, Stefan Utoikamanu and Shawn Blore while Joe Ofahengaue is Pole’s predecessor in the prop pretending to be a lock role.

The backs are a little average on the skill stakes and a little less than average on the tackle but do offer lots of something that is very useful: speed.

Charlie Staines, Brent Naden and Dane Laurie are all express and it is a young outside backs roster with most in their early twenties while Naden is the old man at 27. There is a ‘sameness’ to all the Wests outside backs, they won’t win the power game but won’t lose the beach sprint.

What is also clear is that it isn’t working at the Tigers.

Ive had to delete bits of the article to fit it in
I stopped reading at “Brooks is a very good playmaker”. The writer is delusional !

Brooks is a below average play maker. No one will ever convince me of anything but that.

Having said that I do enjoy articles where there is analysis. I thought the take on api was pretty good.

I don't always agree with everything they say but that's the point.

It beats the shit out the rumour, scandal, and fake outrage based 'reporting' that is all you get in the mainstream media

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I'm sure most have you have seen this and in a way it is nothing new, but....

Why Tigers’ top cats are going nowhere while side sinks to new lows​

NRL clubs, particularly those near the bottom of the table, often suffer from either too much democracy or a lack thereof.

Wests Tigers are an example of the latter.

Unlike western Sydney counterparts Parramatta and Canterbury, whose dissatisfied members have churned and burned through countless board members in recent decades, the directors running the embattled joint-venture outfit are almost impossible to remove.
“That is right, there is no lever as such for members of the Wests Tigers to be able to engage, or in any way initiate change, at board level directly,” Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis concedes.

“I perfectly understand the frustration of supporters and members in that respect, but given that is the corporate structure, there is nothing that can be done insofar as accountability that is answering by way of an election. There are no elections, as such, held by Wests Tigers.”
It is another reason card-carrying Tigers members and fans are becoming disenchanted. The side hasn’t played finals football since 2011, the longest drought of all NRL clubs. There was a feeling they’d hit rock bottom last season when they claimed the wooden spoon for the first time after finishing 16th.

However, the introduction of the Dolphins, coupled with a 0-5 start to Tim Sheens’ second stint as coach, resulted in the club dropping to 17th.
Poor performances on the field have coincided with a string of incidents off it recently: the commemorative Anzac jersey debacle, where a picture of American soldiers was used; out-of-favour fullback Daine Laurie “liking” clips on social media of opposition players scoring tries; chief executive Justin Pascoe playing with his phone in the dressing room as Sheens tried to rally his troops at half-time against Brisbane, and sporting track pants while kicking the Steeden before games; or the ham-fisted approach to ageing halfback Mitchell Pearce in a desperate attempt to fix deficiencies in their spine.

And that’s just the past week.
“At the end of the day, I get it; there is a perception that we lurch from one inept decision to another,” Hagipantelis says. “But that’s just not the case.

“Everyone in that club is absolutely committed and qualified to fulfil their roles. Unfortunately, we haven’t enjoyed any semblance of success over the last few years and it manifests itself where a certain perception is created. But perception is not reality.”
As a Tigers fan or member, if you disagree with Hagipantelis, there’s little you can do about it.

Under the corporate structure of the club – which is 90 per cent owned by Wests Magpies and 10 per cent by Balmain – ousting Hagipantelis and his board is nigh impossible. That is, unless you are a debenture holder of the Holman Barnes Group, formerly known as the Wests Ashfield Leagues Club Group, one of the few ways anyone can affect meaningful change.
It effectively means Wests Tigers are a closed shop, with their directors unlikely to be challenged regardless of how poorly the team performs.

It could be argued that at Parramatta and Canterbury members have historically had too much say. Only two years ago, Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson and several of her staunchest supporters stepped down to avoid an extraordinary general meeting called to oust them. All it took to trigger the move was a petition with 116 signatures.
Small cliques of Parramatta Leagues Club members have also had huge influence on the composition of the football club board. The result was a period of damaging factionalism, most notably when Denis Fitzgerald, Roy Spagnolo and Steve Sharp jockeyed for power.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis.Credit: Getty
“The other extreme, when it’s entirely determined by vote, it becomes a popularity contest,” Hagipantelis says. “I don’t think that’s necessarily in the interests of the club either.”
In Parramatta’s case, the salary cap scandal was the circuit breaker the club desperately needed. The NSW government stepped in, sacked the board and appointed Max Donnelly as an administrator. The move brought a period of relative stability to the Eels, culminating in last year’s grand final appearance.
“If there’s a need to change the board, and you want to upgrade the constitution, that’s great,” Donnelly says.
“If you want to bring in a skills matrix [requirement], I would suggest the problem for every club will be that some of the incumbent board won’t meet the criteria. Therefore, they would be sacking themselves and a lot of boards don’t want to do that.”

Plans were afoot for the Wests Tigers Action Group – a supporter group formed on Facebook – to allow fans to vent frustrations during Monday’s game. Those plans have been aborted after the group’s administrator decided not to proceed. It will save Tigers officials from the embarrassment of having a section of their fans turn their backs in the 11th and 12th minutes to symbolise the number of years it has been since they tasted finals football.
While the action won’t go ahead, many of the concerns the group raised are shared by other long-suffering supporters.
‘There is a perception that we lurch from one inept decision to another. But that’s just not the case.’
Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis
Whether the Tigers board has the football nous required to dig itself out of its predicament remains to be seen.
Some of the same directors who presided over the sackings of Sheens, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and recruiter Warren McDonnell have also rubber-stamped their return. In Marshall’s case, he is being groomed to take over as head coach from Sheens from 2025, although the pressure on the veteran premiership-winning mentor is increasing after a disastrous start to the current campaign.

“We have got to fix this, we have got to turn this around,” says Hagipantelis, whose law firm, Brydens, is also the club’s major sponsor.
“We have made enormous organisational and structural changes over the last 12 months, we’ve committed to a particular pathway forwards and there’s no turning back now.
“What’s happening at the moment is not acceptable to the club or our members and supporters.
“At the moment, things appear dire, I agree with that. But we’re not giving in, we’re not giving up on our coaching structure, the players or the roster we have. We have arguably the most talented roster we’ve had since 2005, so no one is giving up. We are going to persevere and see this through.”
But what if things don’t get better?

Related Article​

Sean Russell in action for the Eels.

NRL 2023

‘He’d be so proud’: Tragedy and family driving Eels flyer Sean Russell

There’s every chance that will be the case given the Tigers face the Eels at Accor Stadium on Monday. There will be a brief respite courtesy of the bye the following week, followed by difficult assignments against Manly and Penrith. There is every chance the winless streak will continue.
“The only alternative is for someone to fall on their own sword,” Hagipantelis says.
“If someone was able to convince me that on-field performance would improve with the termination of Justin Pascoe, for example, I would recommend it to the board of directors.
“People should not diminish the responsibility of the board in determining these things. Recommendations as to recruitment and retention, for example, are elevated to the board to sign off on.

“There are things the CEO has autonomy over, there are others he has to elevate to the board for approval. We are all accountable.”
Stream the NRL premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now.
Sports news, results and expert commentary.

simmo05

Bench
“There are things the CEO has autonomy over, there are others he has to elevate to the board for approval. We are all accountable.”

Isn't that the point though? The board is totally not accountable because they can't lose their positions. How can you keep the board accountable if you can't vote them out? Hence the decade of snot that has been served up

I'm sure most have you have seen this and in a way it is nothing new, but....

Why Tigers’ top cats are going nowhere while side sinks to new lows​

NRL clubs, particularly those near the bottom of the table, often suffer from either too much democracy or a lack thereof.

Wests Tigers are an example of the latter.

Unlike western Sydney counterparts Parramatta and Canterbury, whose dissatisfied members have churned and burned through countless board members in recent decades, the directors running the embattled joint-venture outfit are almost impossible to remove.
“That is right, there is no lever as such for members of the Wests Tigers to be able to engage, or in any way initiate change, at board level directly,” Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis concedes.

“I perfectly understand the frustration of supporters and members in that respect, but given that is the corporate structure, there is nothing that can be done insofar as accountability that is answering by way of an election. There are no elections, as such, held by Wests Tigers.”
It is another reason card-carrying Tigers members and fans are becoming disenchanted. The side hasn’t played finals football since 2011, the longest drought of all NRL clubs. There was a feeling they’d hit rock bottom last season when they claimed the wooden spoon for the first time after finishing 16th.

However, the introduction of the Dolphins, coupled with a 0-5 start to Tim Sheens’ second stint as coach, resulted in the club dropping to 17th.
Poor performances on the field have coincided with a string of incidents off it recently: the commemorative Anzac jersey debacle, where a picture of American soldiers was used; out-of-favour fullback Daine Laurie “liking” clips on social media of opposition players scoring tries; chief executive Justin Pascoe playing with his phone in the dressing room as Sheens tried to rally his troops at half-time against Brisbane, and sporting track pants while kicking the Steeden before games; or the ham-fisted approach to ageing halfback Mitchell Pearce in a desperate attempt to fix deficiencies in their spine.

And that’s just the past week.
“At the end of the day, I get it; there is a perception that we lurch from one inept decision to another,” Hagipantelis says. “But that’s just not the case.

“Everyone in that club is absolutely committed and qualified to fulfil their roles. Unfortunately, we haven’t enjoyed any semblance of success over the last few years and it manifests itself where a certain perception is created. But perception is not reality.”
As a Tigers fan or member, if you disagree with Hagipantelis, there’s little you can do about it.

Under the corporate structure of the club – which is 90 per cent owned by Wests Magpies and 10 per cent by Balmain – ousting Hagipantelis and his board is nigh impossible. That is, unless you are a debenture holder of the Holman Barnes Group, formerly known as the Wests Ashfield Leagues Club Group, one of the few ways anyone can affect meaningful change.
It effectively means Wests Tigers are a closed shop, with their directors unlikely to be challenged regardless of how poorly the team performs.

It could be argued that at Parramatta and Canterbury members have historically had too much say. Only two years ago, Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson and several of her staunchest supporters stepped down to avoid an extraordinary general meeting called to oust them. All it took to trigger the move was a petition with 116 signatures.
Small cliques of Parramatta Leagues Club members have also had huge influence on the composition of the football club board. The result was a period of damaging factionalism, most notably when Denis Fitzgerald, Roy Spagnolo and Steve Sharp jockeyed for power.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis.Credit: Getty
“The other extreme, when it’s entirely determined by vote, it becomes a popularity contest,” Hagipantelis says. “I don’t think that’s necessarily in the interests of the club either.”
In Parramatta’s case, the salary cap scandal was the circuit breaker the club desperately needed. The NSW government stepped in, sacked the board and appointed Max Donnelly as an administrator. The move brought a period of relative stability to the Eels, culminating in last year’s grand final appearance.
“If there’s a need to change the board, and you want to upgrade the constitution, that’s great,” Donnelly says.
“If you want to bring in a skills matrix [requirement], I would suggest the problem for every club will be that some of the incumbent board won’t meet the criteria. Therefore, they would be sacking themselves and a lot of boards don’t want to do that.”

Plans were afoot for the Wests Tigers Action Group – a supporter group formed on Facebook – to allow fans to vent frustrations during Monday’s game. Those plans have been aborted after the group’s administrator decided not to proceed. It will save Tigers officials from the embarrassment of having a section of their fans turn their backs in the 11th and 12th minutes to symbolise the number of years it has been since they tasted finals football.
While the action won’t go ahead, many of the concerns the group raised are shared by other long-suffering supporters.

Whether the Tigers board has the football nous required to dig itself out of its predicament remains to be seen.
Some of the same directors who presided over the sackings of Sheens, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and recruiter Warren McDonnell have also rubber-stamped their return. In Marshall’s case, he is being groomed to take over as head coach from Sheens from 2025, although the pressure on the veteran premiership-winning mentor is increasing after a disastrous start to the current campaign.

“We have got to fix this, we have got to turn this around,” says Hagipantelis, whose law firm, Brydens, is also the club’s major sponsor.
“We have made enormous organisational and structural changes over the last 12 months, we’ve committed to a particular pathway forwards and there’s no turning back now.
“What’s happening at the moment is not acceptable to the club or our members and supporters.
“At the moment, things appear dire, I agree with that. But we’re not giving in, we’re not giving up on our coaching structure, the players or the roster we have. We have arguably the most talented roster we’ve had since 2005, so no one is giving up. We are going to persevere and see this through.”
But what if things don’t get better?

Related Article​

Sean Russell in action for the Eels.

NRL 2023

‘He’d be so proud’: Tragedy and family driving Eels flyer Sean Russell

There’s every chance that will be the case given the Tigers face the Eels at Accor Stadium on Monday. There will be a brief respite courtesy of the bye the following week, followed by difficult assignments against Manly and Penrith. There is every chance the winless streak will continue.
“The only alternative is for someone to fall on their own sword,” Hagipantelis says.
“If someone was able to convince me that on-field performance would improve with the termination of Justin Pascoe, for example, I would recommend it to the board of directors.
“People should not diminish the responsibility of the board in determining these things. Recommendations as to recruitment and retention, for example, are elevated to the board to sign off on.

Great post.

Pretty much confirming the unaccountability of the board.

Lee rubbing our noses in it saying the opposite.

Lee is the chairman of a club that’s on its knees, is out of ideas and can’t recruit or coach to save itself.

He is an incompetent and singularly selfish individual, not satisfied with lording it over the masses in his pissant ego nurturing ferari but unsatisfied, has to piss on members of this club singing his own praises while the rest of us suffer.

None of the unelectable board member parasitical flogs will step down because they are too loaded up with self importance, ego and perks, when the reality is they can’t manage to save themselves.

Lee has a f**king nerve appearing in the media and telling us to suck eggs.

These vile boof headed self loving cretins don’t deserve a run a lemonade stand let alone a club.

f**k them and everything they stand for.

They obviously don’t want the club to thrive and their hatred of the membership and fans knows no bounds.

8C07C35C-89D4-4AD3-BA47-87AB0B9DA279.jpeg

Stop your war on the wests tigers fans and members.

We hate you.

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
Well when you’re run by people who have a history of losing then you’ll always get the wrong results. If you follow the Western Suburbs Facebook page it’s Lidcombe Oval this, battlers that and Victa mowers.

Tigerm

First Grade
Well when you’re run by people who have a history of losing then you’ll always get the wrong results. If you follow the Western Suburbs Facebook page it’s Lidcombe Oval this, battlers that and Victa mowers.
I was sorta thinking about this, can anybody advise how west’s were run prior the merger? ie was it similar to how it’s run now?
From memory, Balmain agreed to the merger with them as they had the finances but this quickly turned around when Balmain went bust and wests Ashfield saved the merger? Was this right.

Don’t get me wrong, I am forever grateful to the west side for saving us.

I’m not sure it’s about where we’ve been on our journey, it’s about the present.

We need to change it to have a future.

The ties that bind, Balmain and Western Suburbs, we will not let this board tear us apart.

Phil Gould

Juniors
“There is a perception that we lurch from one inept decision to another,” Hagipantelis says. “But that’s just not the case.”
The proof is in the pudding, buddy. Same sh!tty pudding, year after year after year. This guy has a god complex and thinks reality is whatever he wants it to be. I like how he says “it ain’t so” but then offers no alternative explanation…because there is none. Lurching from one inept decision to another is absolutely perfect, he actually got something right!

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m not sure it’s about where we’ve been on our journey, it’s about the present.

We need to change it to have a future.

The ties that bind, Balmain and Western Suburbs, we will not let this board tear us apart.
You need to understand the past to see how to change the future, my question was to enquire if this is how Wests always operated as they were (arguably) not the most successful club in the past and may explain why we have gone down this management path now, as it seems an unusual structure for a board imo, from what I see, it's not as if they are putting in huge money like Lee is, so why are these guys there?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Tiger Ted

Bench

just our luck:(
Swap brooks for a functioning steering wheel like Hastings & we realistically win 2-3 games.The perverse has-been sheens is in massive denial constantly talking up the paragon of imbeciles Brooks.Of all the carastophic blunders the morons at concord have made over the last decade sheens’s one where he preferred brooks over Hastings has had the most adverse consequence.A close 2nd in monumentally horrendous judgement calls was the appointment of the 3 coaching stooges.

Latest posts