What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Fordy20

Juniors
Perhaps the Titans are taking a stand against treating players like Ming vases – they shatter when dropped. (It’s been reported the Titans believed former coach Justin Holbrook was not firm enough with players after losses.) Nothing irks fans more than losing players walking from the field smiling.

At least the Titans kept Hasler’s appointment secret from the media, compared with Wests Tigers who, according to a News Corp report, appointed Sheens as Maguire’s replacement after a recommendation from their most senior sports journalist. Again, it’s rumoured Fulton’s appointment is designed to buy media influence, given the cache of the Fulton name.

Hopefully, it is more to do with his relationship with player managers. If Fulton plays hardball with the influential agents, particularly Isaac Moses who is perceived to have too much influence over the football club, it may stop Wests Tigers from being a “transit lounge”.

This was the term given to the Roosters by former coach Jack Gibson when players signed with the Eastern Suburbs club and waited until offers emerged from stronger ones. But it will need a strong leader to unite Fulton and Marshall. Former AOC president John Coates, a passionate Magpie, was lobbied to replace the NRL-endorsed Marina Go as president of the West Tigers but declined, owing to Olympic commitments.

It took nearly a half century for the Panthers to realise the nucleus of a strong team is home-grown talent. Wests Tigers potentially have an even bigger catchment area in the south-west. Sheens, who went to school at St Gregory’s, Campbelltown, and lived in Penrith, found himself lost in the south-west urban sprawl when driving past and had to stop and consult his car’s sat-nav.

Hagipantelis recognises the club’s ultimate future is in the south-west and hopes the development of the Badgerys Creek airport site will be the stimulus for government to build a new stadium on the Campbelltown site, with corporate facilities. Funds totalling $40 million have already been allocated for a centre of excellence and athletic track.

But in the interim, the Rabbitohs have an office in Liverpool and visit local schools. I drove to Campbelltown last weekend and noticed South Sydney car stickers dominate.

Wests Tigers need authoritative leadership combined with a westward move to overcome their inner-west romantic existence. Otherwise, their future is the same as Scarlett’s last line in Gone With The Wind: “Tomorrow is another day."

weretiger

Juniors
Yes, thanks for posting that Fordy.
Masters might be as old as Gone With The Wind but gee he writes well and makes sense.
yes he does write well but he has always been on the west side of the merger and in this case he fails to mention where the money comes from to run the club which comes from Wests but Wests Ashfield which is inner west, Balmain have no influence on anything which he conveniently leaves out to my knowledge nothing comes from campbelltown until this changes the move out west will be at a snails pace

Fordy20

Juniors
Yes, thanks for posting that Fordy.
Masters might be as old as Gone With The Wind but gee he writes well and makes sense.
It's refreshing to read to something as well written as this rather than the dot point crap dished out by Murdoch drones.

When the Wests Tigers board heard that Fulton may revoke the McDonnell offers, they instructed Pascoe to ensure this doesn’t happen. This is the same board whom former broadcaster Alan Jones recently called upon to resign, using the hackneyed cliche, “a fish rots from the head.” So, if the players identified by McDonnell and the very capable deputy Shannon Gallant are cut from Wests Tigers pathways and development program, is it the fault of the board, or another example of management delay?

Jones saying "the fish rots from the head down" might be a hackneyed expression, but these expressions become cliched for a reason. More often than not, they are true. It's especially true in our club's case. Masters appears to be blaming management in this instance, but he misses the forest for the trees.

Masters conflates management with governance. It's an easy mistake to make. A board should be concerned with governance, the long term wellbeing of the club, leaving the day to day running to management. It's easy to see why Masters makes the mistake of conflating management and governance. What his example points out is that the board are acting like management. They are actively intervening in the day to day running of the club, just like they have done sinces the JV's inception.

I could go on and on about the history of the JV and why this happened, but I reckon most people are problen sick to death of me harping on about it. The bottom line is, the directors cannot be held accountable for their actions and until the governance model is reformed so they can be held accountable, nothing will change.

DJDL

Bench
I don't understand the 'coup' of signing Scott Fulton as recruitment manager.
A cursory glance at the Sea Eagles will show every single team, from NRL to Harold Matts, is in the lower half of their respective tables.

That's not really a ringing endorsement for his abilities to assemble a strong group of players across all age groups.

I know he has a famous name and all, but what's the attraction?

And sorry, I don't mean to come in here and troll.
I'm just constantly dumbfounded at what is happening over your way.

Bukowski

Juniors
A cursory glance at the Sea Eagles will show every single team, from NRL to Harold Matts, is in the lower half of their respective tables.

That's not really a ringing endorsement for his abilities to assemble a strong group of players across all age groups.

There's rumours that Hadley convinced Lee that Fulton would be a great signing.

We are even more amazed!

We’ve had a series of underperforming recruiters or if you ask them, underperforming coaches.

When something is broken you have to try to fix it.

Not telling Tim about Fulton was a genuine sign that the club is not on board with Tim.

He was footy manager, supposed to oversee and have his hand in everything and after coaching, he was meant to return to that role. Now he’s being cut out of the loop.

That’s what happen when you lose so many games.

Madge got the same treatment.

Hopefully the hollers approach is true.

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘Not only wrong, but defamatory’: Tigers in turmoil as Fulton-Marshall rift widens
By Michael Chammas
July 16, 2023 — 2.45pm

The Wests Tigers are on the brink of civil war after Benji Marshall’s manager was forced to deny a suggestion that his client owned a share in the management company trying to lure Aidan Sezer to the club next year.

The allegation was made on radio on Sunday morning by Peter Peters, the godfather of new Tigers recruitment manager Scott Fulton, who has been at loggerheads with assistant coach Marshall since his controversial appointment two months ago.

The latest point of conflict revolves around Marshall’s desire to pursue Sezer, which is at odds with Fulton’s intention to sign Penrith back-up playmaker Jack Cogger.

Marshall’s manager, Matt Desira, of ARIA Management, has been in dialogue with the Tigers for weeks about bringing Sezer back to the NRL next year. The former Raiders half is currently playing for Leeds in the Super League.

While Desira manages out-of-favour fullback Daine Laurie, his only connection to head office at the club is Marshall, who was one of the company’s first clients when the agency started in 2019.

Desira denied he had business connections with any other Tigers official. He vehemently denied what he interpreted were allegations made against him and Marshall by Peters on Sky Sports Radio.

“Benji Marshall doesn’t and never has had a stake in ARIA management group,” Desira told this masthead. “Any suggestion that is the case is not only wrong, but defamatory. I have spoken to Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe and chairman Lee Hagipantelis and have assured them that Benji doesn’t have a stake in the business.”

Desira was responding to comments made by Peters, claiming that he had been told that a Tigers official had a 15 per cent share in the management company trying to sign Sezer at the club.

“Before I go any further I want to declare that Scott Fulton is my godson before people jump on that bandwagon and say I’m just supporting him. I’m not, I’m telling it as I see it,” Peters said.

“Aidan Sezer has been a client of the long-time highly respected manager Sam Ayoub for a long, long time. Currently, the deal with the Tigers, if it goes through, is being organised by another agency [ARIA management]. I’ve been told today - it’s a bit of a bombshell - that a current high-profile Tigers official is alleged to have 15 per cent share in the company trying to lure Sezer unbeknown to Sam Ayoub, who still thinks he is managing him.

“Now, Sam Ayoub has a lot of clout in a lot of clubs and also at the Tigers. Young [Jahream] Bula, the star fullback at the moment, is a Sam Ayoub client. I wouldn’t be getting him offside if I was Wests Tigers.”

This masthead approached Peters for clarification. “I never stated who the official was,” Peters said. “It’s up to the NRL to investigate it.”

This masthead has spoken to Pascoe, who confirmed that Desira had been in contact with the club on Sunday morning.

“If the suggestion made on radio today was in some way meant to implicate Benji, then we have received absolute assurance from Benji’s management that such an implication is not only erroneous but defamatory,” Pascoe said.

The comments made by Peters haven’t gone down well with the Marshall camp, who already have concerns about his working relationship with Fulton.

Desira held a meeting with the club a few weeks ago to raise concerns about Fulton, who was appointed without consultation with either head coach Tim Sheens or assistant Marshall, who is scheduled to take over the head coaching role in 2024.

Nutz

Bench
Why can't we read positive good news about the WT. I'm sick of it tbh.
I used to love reading, listening and watching rugby league media but because of WT toxic culture and perpetual stuff ups, I can't engage in it anymore.
It's depressing, annoying and just makes me soooo angry.
Let's try and find that nugget of gold of positive WT media and post that.
We might have to wait a while though.
I just don't see the point of running on a broken ankle, give it a rest....have a beer and chill.
Well that's what I've been doing anyway.
The best thing about NRL Fantasy is it gives me an interest in what usually is a better game to watch. It also makes you look out for raw talent and cash cows. ;)
I also spread my squad over all the teams so I'm not affected so much by byes and I get to follow my players in every televised game. It's a hard life but when your retired its all goooood.

Nutz

Bench
How does the media know about this "emergency meeting" tomorrow between Scott Fulton, Benji Marshall and the board tomorrow, a meeting that doesn't include Tim.
Why is this broadcasted for the whole world to hear about.
See, I'm over it! Nothing but dramas. Always dramas and bad news.

Tigerm

First Grade
because Lee leaked it. same as always.

updated: allegedly
Careful, but you saved yourself in the end.

I’m not here to defend Lee, but he is head of a large legal firm, it he’s asked a question, I don’t think he can lie for the club, if in fact he said anything?

Last edited:
It’s not defamatory.

We are coming dead last with a dodgy foreseeable future.

I’m happy as Larry to see chaos reign supreme and the tensions spill over bringing about change.

The alternative is snuggle, kisses and snouts in trough while we perish.

If a Tigers official is sneaking about trying to sign players so he can make a quick buck, it wouldn’t surprise me.

All bets are off under this dopey management.

Nutz

Bench
Careful, but you saved yourself in the end.

I’m not here to defend Lee, but he is head of a large legal firm, it he’s asked a question, I don’t think he can lie for the club, if in fact he said anything?
TM he has lied, last year when interviewed on SEN he said the club was strong and is going places in 2023.
Unless of course he meant we'll get the spoon again in record fashion???

I think the end is near for our coach, if this is true?

He’s only got a few games left anyway.

We probably need him to head back to the uk, hire hollers, dump Marshall and give Fulton as much latitude as we can manage.

Tim has been on the nose for awhile now. The other article said the Fulton deal was done awhile ago. At least before we taught Penrith a few manners.

Latest posts