What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ranking the clubs fullbacks

jk13

First Grade
Just cause the Dugan can't feature in the all stars next year, people shouldn't degrade his status

Tone83

Juniors
Actually I should have had duges instead of tomkins, tomkins is still an unknown and I agree kind of a baseless selection. Duges is arguably the 8th best fullback in the nrl, congrats to the duges.

natheel

Coach
lol - what did he do to you, kidnap and torture your kitten?

The bloke hasn't even played NRL yet. Lets wait till he actually does before we appraise him one way or the other me thinks.

Replying to a bloke who got upset because Tomkins wasn't rated higher than he thought (his post got deleted)

hardbaby

Coach
I agree 100%, Hayne should be a walk up starter and at fullback every year for the blues. It's typical of the selectors though who continue to pick him out of position.

They pick him out of position because he is so good he can play anywhere. Look at his performance at centre in the World Cup. To beat QLD we need to pick the best 17. Hayne would be one of the first players picked but I'd have Dugan at fullback and Hayne on the wing.

shiznit

Coach
Replying to a bloke who got upset because Tomkins wasn't rated higher than he thought (his post got deleted)
:lol:

That's hilarious... You have NFI what your talking about...

I could care less where he ranked Tomkins... Go and ask any warriors fan.... I've been been tougher than anyone on Tomkins.

My post was targeted at the person who posted it...

Joely01

Bench
They pick him out of position because he is so good he can play anywhere. Look at his performance at centre in the World Cup. To beat QLD we need to pick the best 17. Hayne would be one of the first players picked but I'd have Dugan at fullback and Hayne on the wing.

He doesn't see enough ball at wing. Why not Dugan to wing?

Moony

Juniors
I'm a knights supporter and I even I don't rate boyd. I don't know why he gets picked over and over for Australia

firechild

First Grade
Peta Hiku - impressed me alot filling in for Brett Stewart at manly when he played, think he will be a starter in the future

Hiku will most likely play his career in the centres, not at fullback. He's a pretty slim chance of getting the nod to replace Stewart ahead of Gutherson. Hiku has plenty of talent but I just don't see him as a creative player like the modern fullback has to be.

perverse

Referee
Boyd is a class act player, but not elite like Slater, Inglis, Hayne (sometimes). He's like the David Peachey or Luke Patten of the current era... with a bit less heart than either of the aforementioned.

Tone83

Juniors
Way less talent than peachey had. Luke Patten is more like it, and it's fittingly an insult.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
that's because it's true. Stewart is a great finisher, has great speed, and has scored a lot of tries, but unlike Dugan who can create Stewart is a finisher at best

:shock:

Brett Stewart had 17 try assists in 2013

What a truly, truly stupid comment.

Do you even watch the game??

:lol:

Tone83

Juniors
Yeah I hate stewart but he has created something from nothing so many times it's not funny, probably his most notable quality. A finisher is someone like a morris or boyd or ash graham or merrit, stewart is a lot more than that.

Someone

Bench
Dugan still has alot to do imo to be in the same catergory as the likes of Slater, GI, STewart, Hayne. all those players have won comps or dally m's.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Ranking the clubs fullbacks is a difficult task as injury and form will result in players sliding up and down the list. When it comes to picking the order of players based on ability, it becomes even more a debatable topic for mine.

If I was picking fullbacks on ability alone I'd go something like this:

1) Inglis (potential to be the best fullback in history. It's a shame that it took so long for him to be chosen as the clubs #1 fullback.

2/3)Slater/Hayne - Hayne is the complete package when it comes to being a fullback. Even in a hopeless team, he's their only shining light.

4/5 - Stewert/Dugan - Both on their day can carry a team and be the X factor that they need.

After the top 5 the list becomes difficult to judge. Boyd would be in their somewhere. It's just a shame that he isn't a complete fullback. He offers pretty much anything the other big name players do, except that he lacks the desire to play the game at a high intensity. If he played the game in a similar mold to Slater (gets to the ball quickly and runs it back hard), then he could very well find himself higher up on the list. Unfortunately if he isn't prepared to do it by this point in his career, then it is unlikely that he'll reinvent himself.

perverse

Referee
Just not a class act person.
No... he's certainly quite a precious little princess at times. Hardly a grub, on or off the field, though. There's much worse things to be than smug.

I don't even really know why I'm defending the bloke, I was slamming him proper for the back half of last year for being a pea heart. One thing I'm certain of though, is that when he pulls his socks up, the bloke can play - and play bloody well.

Latest posts