What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rap

Danger

Juniors
I'm not talking like nothing. I just stated that I like because of his old school sound. I'm well aware other rappers out there have also done that but, like you said because they are underground artists they don't get no mainstream love.

I gotta say though I got nothing against underground artists but I think these days especially on the net its the 'cool' thing to do to like underground artists over mainstream. no doubt there are there are a HEAP of talented underground artists however I think alot of mainstream rappers who don't deserve the credit they are due beacuse they will forever be comparedto acts like Nas or Jay Z or Scarface or Biggie.

Fair enough champ, I mistook your comments. I just hear alot of people who talk about blokes they heard on the radio then think they know everything about hip hop when in reality, they don't know sh!t... So yeah, disregard my earlier comments.

I however dont believe Game has an oldschool sound at all. Sure, he's bitten Ice Cube/Eazy E's NWA swagger and name drops them every third bar, but his style is completely different. He uses a lot more wordplay than oldschool West Coast artists used to (old school being early 90s). I think he gives the mainstream a degree of credability, because although he's been known to, he doesnt just write songs for girls or wack nightclubs. he comes across street, raw and actually makes sense with his rhymes unlike a Lil Wayne or a Young Jeezy. I would love to hear Game spit with the likes of Ill Bill, Chino XL, Royce 5'9", Crooked I and, all beef bullsh*t aside, Ras Kass. i think you would hear some great material produced.

Godz Illa

Coach
Got the N.A.S.A disc recently. Not bad, quite schizophrenic but expected that really with the huge, eclectic list of guests. A few songs are worthwhile though... the KRS-One/Fatlip track, the Kanye/Santogold one, M.I.A's spot is cool, but the pick is probably Money feat. David Byrne & Chuck D.

Big L's which is featured on "The Big Picture" album, is a personal favourite.

The Big Picture?

Why don't you pick up Harlem: A Freestyle History instead which is an entire CD of Freestyles, and Jay-Z gets embarrassed on two tracks. And if you do you will hear atleast 75% of the Big Picture where is where they cut vocals from.

NASA CD was okay, nothing special. My friend hyped it up so much. One track was banging, might have been the Method Man one, IDK.

Souls of Mischief new song is officialy the dopest thing in the game right now.

LESStar58

Referee
i guess i'd start a thread in regards to rap music in general.

anything that anyone would like to ask or say about anything or anyone in the rap industry is welcome.

i would first like to say that i never knew about the flooding in rza's basement until bobby digital (how ironic) mentioned it in another thread.

i mean, is there anything at all that was salvaged?

i want to know more.

Bobby, spill your guts.

* Public Enemy
* Digital Underground
* Jurassic 5
* Dilated Peoples
* The Roots
* early Black Eyed Peas
* Run DMC

... that is all.

You are easily impressed if you think "Born Like This" is 'great.'

Del's new sh*t was alright. Dude had it up as a free download a couple of weeks ago.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
What do my fellow Kiwi's think of Con Psy's (or should I call him David Dallas?) new track? You don't often hear this said about hip-hop, but it's charming, lol. And I love Devolo singing, it cracks me up but I love it. He's NZ's Nate Dogg lol.

What do my fellow Kiwi's think of Con Psy's (or should I call him David Dallas?) new track? You don't often hear this said about hip-hop, but it's charming, lol. And I love Devolo singing, it cracks me up but I love it. He's NZ's Nate Dogg lol.

I must say I don't like David Dallas at all bro. He seems like a cocky wanker who thinks he's better than he is. With lyrics like "See I be the T.I.P and you's Lil Flip" - Flip would actually rap rings around him.

Devolo though - his voice is off the chains, he needs to keep singing his own hooks...and D-Konz hooks if and when they bring out some new sh*t.

fortae said:
The verses deserve better. That beat must be for people with short attention spans ... bubblegum.

I wouldn't call it bubblegum...i'd call it Southern.

Last edited:
I can't say much but R&B has killed Hip-Hop. The 90's and late 80's housed the greatest era for Rap music. Now its a penny-full joke.

Danger

Juniors
I can't say much but R&B has killed Hip-Hop. The 90's and late 80's housed the greatest era for Rap music. Now its a penny-full joke.

I would have to disagree, while most of the mainstream stuff is pretty crap, there are still alot of good artists out there. It's just that most people don't take the time to look for it or are unwilling to listen to music from someone they haven't heard of.

Latest posts