What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Glenn01

Juniors
1. Money has got nothing to do with it, the club signed Widdop, he didn't choose what the club was going to pay him. It all comes down to the game plan as to why he is struggling.

2. Just because someone is good in the under 20s does not make them the best thing since sliced bread. Evander Cummings was the exact same player as him, probably better and look how his career went. I hope Dufty makes it but the expectation people are placing on an untried player is unbelievable.

Your reply justifies my statement where people let their emotions cloud their judgment

1. Well the former and present coach have both called Widdop "a marquee playmaker". At what point does the "marquee playmaker" have to take responsibility for the attack?

No, the problem is that McWanker has been demanding more from Widdop and Widdop just doesn't have the ability. Hence why he seems so bad last season and in the CC. If he were able to just stay out of the game as much as possible, just catch and immediately pass no matter the situation and maybe put two or three kicks in a season that result in tries. Probably due to some freakish skill by Duges or by some ridiculous opposition mistake. Or if he were able to just catch and immediately pass to Duges or Frizz or JDB who were able to beat 4 or 5 defenders and score, BennyV and etc would be doing handstands, saying it was all because of Widdop and expressing surprise that Widdop wasn't being mentioned as a future immortal.

Widdop and his fan boys were able to get away with that for far too long but their intrepid hero's game is now so bad, it's pretty much impossible to praise it now. All they can do, as you are doing, is embellish the reality.

Of course you are right about it not being Widdop's fault accepting the money he was offered but he can still earn every cent of it in the NSW Cup.

2. Evander Cummins wasn't instrumental in screwing up 3, going on 4 seasons. Good luck to him. He did far more for STI than has or than will Widdop.

Eastview

Juniors
1. Well the former and present coach have both called Widdop "a marquee playmaker". At what point does the "marquee playmaker" have to take responsibility for the attack?

No, the problem is that McWanker has been demanding more from Widdop and Widdop just doesn't have the ability. Hence why he seems so bad last season and in the CC. If he were able to just stay out of the game as much as possible, just catch and immediately pass no matter the situation and maybe put two or three kicks in a season that result in tries. Probably due to some freakish skill by Duges or by some ridiculous opposition mistake. Or if he were able to just catch and immediately pass to Duges or Frizz or JDB who were able to beat 4 or 5 defenders and score, BennyV and etc would be doing handstands, saying it was all because of Widdop and expressing surprise that Widdop wasn't being mentioned as a future immortal.

Widdop and his fan boys were able to get away with that for far too long but their intrepid hero's game is now so bad, it's pretty much impossible to praise it now. All they can do, as you are doing, is embellish the reality.

Of course you are right about it not being Widdop's fault accepting the money he was offered but he can still earn every cent of it in the NSW Cup.

2. Evander Cummins wasn't instrumental in screwing up 3, going on 4 seasons. Good luck to him. He did far more for STI than has or than will Widdop.
1. Mary is the problem. You say he demands more from Widdop but how has he changed his gameplan to get the results he wants? He hasn't. llawarras love child is f**king clueless and out of his depth. He should never of been appointed in the first place.

2. Whats Dufty and Cummings got to do with Widdop? You must be an aspiring politician to completely ignore the point I made and then trying to change into something that supports your argument which is way off topic.

getsmarty

Immortal
2. "Evander Cummins wasn't instrumental in screwing up 3, going on 4 seasons. Good luck to him. He did far more for STI than has or than will Widdop."[/QUOTE]

Please enlightlen us as to when Evander played First Grade for the Dragons? I must have missed it. His Rep honours are N.S.W under 18's Rep...that sure trumps England international by a long shot as well as premiership winner.

Please, just give it a rest Vas.

Glenn01

Juniors
1. Mary is the problem. You say he demands more from Widdop but how has he changed his gameplan to get the results he wants? He hasn't. llawarras love child is f**king clueless and out of his depth. He should never of been appointed in the first place.

2. Whats Dufty and Cummings got to do with Widdop? You must be an aspiring politician to completely ignore the point I made and then trying to change into something that supports your argument which is way off topic.

1. As numerous other posters have alluded to, STI have 2 major problems. Gareth Widdop and Paul McWanker. the team won't be a serious, consistent force in the competition until both are gone.

2. You are the one who brought Dufty and Cummins up in relation to Widdop.

Glenn01

Juniors
Please enlightlen us as to when Evander played First Grade for the Dragons? I must have missed it. His Rep honours are N.S.W under 18's Rep...that sure trumps England international by a long shot as well as premiership winner.

Please, just give it a rest Vas.

Are you: a. Not reading the messages in full but replying anyway b. trying to annoy me on purpose by acting so stupid c. Really that stupid

Eastview

Juniors
1. As numerous other posters have alluded to, STI have 2 major problems. Gareth Widdop and Paul McWanker. the team won't be a serious, consistent force in the competition until both are gone.

2. You are the one who brought Dufty and Cummins up in relation to Widdop.
I bought up Cummings as an example who was just as good or even better than Dufty that didnt make it in first grade so people shouldnt be hailing him as the next immortal like they are just yet, nothing to do with Widdop

Eastview

Juniors
If you put JT, Sean Johnson, Mitchell Pearce, Adam Reynolds etc in place of Widdop with the current structures and game plans they would look just as bad

getsmarty

Immortal
I bought up Cummings as an example who was just as good or even better than Dufty that didnt make it in first grade so people shouldnt be hailing him as the next immortal like they are just yet, nothing to do with Widdop

Yet Vas/Glenn/Sigurd Quoted "2. "Evander Cummins wasn't instrumental in screwing up 3, going on 4 seasons. Good luck to him. He did far more for STI than has or than will Widdop.

I was replying to this comment...anyways I have better things to do with my time than be drawn into the vortex of Vas.

Glenn01

Juniors
If you put JT, Sean Johnson, Mitchell Pearce, Adam Reynolds etc in place of Widdop with the current structures and game plans they would look just as bad
If any of them were paired with Widdop, you can be absolutely certain they would come across as much poorer players than they do now.

pinkmoon

Juniors
The issue with Widdop is simple...

He is not an organiser, he is a runner of the footballer.

However, when he dislocated his hip, he lost the zip that made him a threat with the ball. A lot of players come back from injuries but a dislocated hip is just about as bad as it gets...it's a death sentence for a footballer. Chris Lawrence had the same injury and never regained his speed either; so much so that he was shifted to the backrow to compensate.

The biggest question mark I had over Widdop when he first signed, was whether he could overcome this injury and regain his speed. The answer is a resounding no. Without the speed, he is simply a very average first grader. Because we paid top dollar and because he came from Melbourne, we expect more, but he is a very limited footballer in terms of talent. He tries extremely hard but without the zip and the step to get him through the line, he is borderline useless.

Having a muffin for a coach doesn't help the situation, but Saints pack is impressive and there are some handy players in the backs so for the attack to struggle this much, the finger needs to be pointed at Widdop and whoever else directs the attack.

Glenn01

Juniors
Are you high? Can you read? I said in place of Widdop, not pair them with Widdop
Yes. Barely but pretty decent in 5 languages. English and..... Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic:p (Joke. Please don't flip out on me.)

On a more serious you made a hypothetical statement and I replied with another. What's the problem?

The issue with Widdop is simple...

He is not an organiser, he is a runner of the footballer.

However, when he dislocated his hip, he lost the zip that made him a threat with the ball. A lot of players come back from injuries but a dislocated hip is just about as bad as it gets...it's a death sentence for a footballer. Chris Lawrence had the same injury and never regained his speed either; so much so that he was shifted to the backrow to compensate.

The biggest question mark I had over Widdop when he first signed, was whether he could overcome this injury and regain his speed. The answer is a resounding no. Without the speed, he is simply a very average first grader. Because we paid top dollar and because he came from Melbourne, we expect more, but he is a very limited footballer in terms of talent. He tries extremely hard but without the zip and the step to get him through the line, he is borderline useless.

Having a muffin for a coach doesn't help the situation, but Saints pack is impressive and there are some handy players in the backs so for the attack to struggle this much, the finger needs to be pointed at Widdop and whoever else directs the attack.

Well said but was he that good at Melbourne? Unlike with Cronk, Slater, Smith, Inglis, Folau and etc I don't ever remember thinking he was a really good player. And the way Bellamy raves about "wanting to build a team around him" and how "they (STI) got a good one" after he had signed with us makes me very suspicious Bellamy never rated him highly.

chemics

Juniors
wish I could upload a photo of Widdop standing with Moylan around the premeirship trophy from todays NRL launch (twitter) ,his body language said it all,( why the f#$% am I standing here!! not a hope in hell of winning this!!) looked totally disinterested

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
wish I could upload a photo of Widdop standing with Moylan around the premeirship trophy from todays NRL launch (twitter) ,his body language said it all,( why the f#$% am I standing here!! not a hope in hell of winning this!!) looked totally disinterested
Yes chemics and in his interview he said, quote, unquote, we just hope to remain competitive. Talk about rolling over and dying. Get some mongrel Gareth and grab those goolies. How about of, " we are going to fooking surprise you punters. We played like fooken shit on the weekend but it won't happen again. We are here to fooken win as many games as we can. If you write off the dragons, you can get fooked too. We are coming fooken for you", in his finest north England mongrel voice. The bugger should be getting anti anger lessons to fire up. Not exactly eloquent but, we need a lot of mongrel to overcome the worst coaching in the Nrl.

nontime111

Juniors
I actually meet Gareths parents they live in the wide bay area in Qld and had nothing nice to say about Mary.

Lets say some home truths came out and wasn't surprised about any of them.

wow?? amazing thanks!! maybe the players do HATE the inept bastard as much as we do! and hell go soon hopefully!
its the only thing stopping us I thin, Mary.... we have SO many great players its sickening we have such an awful coach
Maybe even Widdy will improve also if we get another coach!

j0nesy

Bench
He is severely out of form, has been for a year. When do you stop calling it a form slump and say he just doesn't have it anymore? Can't blame Mary for his form, as tempting as it may be to do so. Mary is not the one grubbering balls into to opposition legs. Sorry, I'm just very frustrated with Widdop.

Glenn01

Juniors
No real surprise.....the body language reflected by the two at press conferences is a giveaway that there is a great divide.

Are you joking? Widdop thinks Paul McGregor is the best thing since sliced bread! The incompetent moron not only won't drop Widdop but has made hm captain. I'm sure Widdop likes to try to pretend, in a very subtle way, his form is due to McGregors coaching, and last year it was due to Marshall and Rein and the poor outside backs, and the year before due to the poor forwards and before that due to Steve Price, but he knows he is a dud, hopelessly out of his depth better than any of us.

This situation reminds me of Dragons supporters saying things like "Well he must be good because after we signed Widdop, Bellamy said he was devastated and wanted to build a team around Widdop and said "We (SGI) got a good one and etc". Are you people so simplistic you can't see this? One doesn't have to have the intellect of Objective View to see this!

BELLAMY IS A RIVAL COACH, FFS!! He is ruthless and will do and say anything to weaken his clubs competitors. McGregor is just a moron. That is a fact but doesn't mean so many Dragons supporters have to try and match McGregor in that department.

This is a surrealistic nightmare! How many seasons have to be wasted???? Dump McGregor and drop Widdop to the NSW Cup and lets see this team rise again to where it belongs.

Latest posts