What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Depends what criteria you are using. To my way of thinking rugby league is not better off than it was in 1995. The only improvement has been the Melbourne Storm. The rest has been making up for mistakes (reinstating of the Rabbitohs & Gold Coast ) and continuing on with festering problems as a result of carving up the competition .(reduced rugby league footprint in the regions from Wollongong-Sydney & Central Coast plus the embarassing continuation of the Broncos monopoly of Brisbane.) To my way of thinking rugby league is not better off than it was in 1995.

My criteria as usual are the actual numbers that matter and that paint a picture of where the game is at:

• Crowds: Higher now than at any point in the 90's on aggregate and average
  • Memberships: Higher now than at any point in the 90's
  • Participation: Higher now than at any point in the 90's - and yes, whether you like it or not women's RL and touch NRL count as they play a key role in getting Government funding for our sport and getting more of the community involved in the game. We would be mad not to involve those groups. Todd Greeburg spoke recently about the need to include touch in our juniour systems. Like it or not, that will be a hit with soccer mums and get more kids involved. That is a good thing.
  • TV Ratings: Higher now than at any point during the 90's
  • Revenue: Higher nwo than at any point during the 90's
  • The game internationally is much bigger and wider spread than it was in the 90's
I'd love to hear your criteria and how you would paint a story about how the game is not bigger now than it was in the 90's. BTW the storm are not the only club that have grown their attendances, revenues, TV ratings and fan bases since the 90's, every club has.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we had 7 of top programs on TV than ratings weren't any better on TV.

If you take into account this was happening 30 years ago. Wow

A record TV deal - $90m

Unlike what others think the SL war really farked us up.

Yes, the SL war did set us back, no doubt. But it's not all doom and gloom. You talk about a 90m TV deal which was amazing back then. We now have a $2 billion TV deal and finished last year as the most watched sport on TV in Australia with interstate Governments falling over each other paying insane money to host one Origin match.

I get the nostalgia from the 90's, it was great but don't listen to the BS bad news brigade in the media - the game is bigger than ever right now at a time when other sports' domestic leagues are really falling out of relevance in the public eye (Union and Soccer mainly)

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Absolute garbage!The superleague war was a combination of disrespect by clubs that should have known better and defending the greedy position of the Broncos in Brisbane. News ltd didn't care if the fabric of the game was hurt or not! Their owner doesn't care for rugby league. Their position is to capitalise on the revenue streams the competition gives currently and make sure it doesn't get too big (in a way that other people will take note from other parts of the world ) Basically sustaining a policy of containment over the flagship competition of rugby LEAGUE in Australia. It's a if :"Lets make sure the secret (rugby league)doesn't get out and if it does do it in a bad way." Essentially making sure another code (union)continues on with growing it's worldwide relevance and at the same time containing and constraining rugby league.

I can agree with some of that but it has nothing to do with the fact that anything beyond 18 teams has not been shown to be sustainable.

Still waiting for that link BTW

Stallion

First Grade
My criteria as usual are the actual numbers that matter and that paint a picture of where the game is at:

• Participation: Higher now than at any point in the 90's - and yes, whether you like it or not women's RL and touch NRL count as they play a key role in getting Government funding for our sport and getting more of the community involved in the game. We would be mad not to involve those groups. Todd Greeburg spoke recently about the need to include touch in our juniour systems. Like it or not, that will be a hit with soccer mums and get more kids involved. That is a good thing.
  • The game internationally is much bigger and wider spread than it was in the 90's
I'd love to hear your criteria and how you would paint a story about how the game is not bigger now than it was in the 90's. BTW the storm are not the only club that have grown their attendances, revenues, TV ratings and fan bases since the 90's, every club has.[/QUOT

Lol. If such critirialto were not up their would extreme issues! Their's a phenomenon called population increase that you have ignored! Also others have pointed out that the rugby league was in a far better position on various criteria in 1995! Yet you ignore this and continue on with you ignorance and destructive agenda! ? You are a bad dude!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lol. You are truelly mislead and delusional. Another contributor has looked into your deceiving aggregate claim and shot you down in flames! Yet you continue on with your destructive rhetoric? Amazing!

Which contributor was that? And how have they shot down in flames that the aggregate attendance in 2018 was larger than in 1996 (and 1995, and 1994 for that matter)? You can't shoot facts down in flames my friend, that is the beauty of them. Also, 2012 was the largest aggregate attendance in history.

Do you have any figures to the contrary or will you just throw words like 'delusional' and 'destructive' around because you know you don't have them and that the attendances really are bigger now than they were back in your 90's nostalgia buble?

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, the SL war did set us back, no doubt. But it's not all doom and gloom. You talk about a 90m TV deal which was amazing back then. We now have a $2 million TV deal and finished last year as the most watched sport on TV in Australia with interstate Governments falling over each other paying insane money to host one Origin match.

I get the nostalgia from the 90's, it was great but don't listen to the BS bad news brigade in the media - the game is bigger than ever right now at a time when other sports' domestic leagues are really falling out of relevance in the public eye (Union and Soccer mainly)

Are you aware of things like inflation and population increase!? My word you are the used car salesman!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
personally I think it would be doomed to fail, but with the suggestions of moving a Sydney team to Brisbane, I was wondering what Sydney club, if any, had the most support up there and would have the most success (ignoring whether or not they are going well in Sydney)?

It would fail - we don't want a second hand Sydney club, especially not at the expense of promotion of a local club with history like the Redcliffe Dolphins (if that is they way they decide to go).

taipan

Referee
Easts and Souths will never move as they have a strong brand and corporate backing. Parramatta are their own city, Canterbury are a well off club. Penrith have strong backing from a leagues club conglomerate. Of the six clubs I mentioned would be unlikely to be moved St. George is the only one I know of that appears to struggle financially.

If finances and corporate backing are the main criteria then Manly, Cronulla and the Dragons are probably in the biggest trouble.

The Tigers had a strong brand as did the Dragons, they ended up being part of mergers.
Again reliance on Leagues clubs in the future is no iron clad guarantee, as the Dragons found out many years ago, and the Sharks and the Tigers.
I believe Parra, Penrith, Souths, West Tigers are safe.
Should Allianz get the rebuild Easts are safe as.The Dogs not so sure, despite a strong Leagues club.

Finances are the most important criteria ,but one of many in the criteria requirements.
It may well end up ,if all the Sydney clubs get their sh*t together in time, that the code goes to 18.
If uncle Nick eventually goes to the playing field in the sky ,who knows the impact.

The Commission may insist on the Tigers playing at Campbelltown and Parra stadium.Easts to play X number of games on the CC.The Sharks to play X number in Adelaide and/or Allianz.Who knows what compilation they will come up with .
If the code continues with the South Pacific push, there surely will be plenty of players to fill another 2 teams plus what's on offer in the 2nd division.

Every time there has been an expansion attempt, there has been some sort of stuff up.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are you aware of things like inflation and population increase!? My word you are the used car salesman!

Yes, well aware of inflation. Are you suggesting that the $90 million in 1994 would have been bigger than $2 billion now? 9 pretty much cleared the bank account to secure RL for another TV deal so we wouldn't have been any further in front even if the SL war never happened.

In terms of the other metrics though, the growth growth of the game is pretty much in line with population growth (33% vs 39%) but we have opened up much more Government funding, more participation and areas of participation (women's & touch), plus increased memberships massively.

I'll ask you again and please give a straight answer: are you seriously suggesting that the game in the 90's was bigger than it is now? And by bigger, I don't mean more Sydney clubs in the top flight...

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

@Stallion

Population increase doesn't account for a massive upsurge in membership, increased sections of the population participating (women's & touch) and increased government funding.

Don't be so negative about the game you love, move on from 1997. The game is bigger than it was then and that is a good thing. It could be worse, we could be in the position the A-League and SuperRugby are in; rapidly fading from the public eye. We are not, we have bucked the trend and are bigger than ever. Don't believe the negative dribble in the media about the game, they have an agenda. Be happy and celebrate that RL is the most watched sport in the country at the moment and we are on the up.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yes, well aware of inflation. Are you suggesting that the $90 million in 1994 would have been bigger than $2 million now? 9 pretty much cleared the bank account to secure RL for another TV deal so we wouldn't have been any further in front even if the SL war never happened.QUOTE]
I just have to ask, do you mean $2 Billion, not $2 Million? Because $90mil is bigger than $2mil. I only ask because $1mil is barely enough to buy a house in Sydney so I'm not sure how you can run a National sports competition on it

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yes, well aware of inflation. Are you suggesting that the $90 million in 1994 would have been bigger than $2 million now? 9 pretty much cleared the bank account to secure RL for another TV deal so we wouldn't have been any further in front even if the SL war never happened.
QUOTE]

I just have to ask, do you mean $2 Billion, not $2 Million? Because $90mil is bigger than $2mil. I only ask because $1mil is barely enough to buy a house in Sydney so I'm not sure how you can run a National sports competition on it

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, well aware of inflation. Are you suggesting that the $90 million in 1994 would have been bigger than $2 million now? 9 pretty much cleared the bank account to secure RL for another TV deal so we wouldn't have been any further in front even if the SL war never happened.

In terms of the other metrics though, the growth growth of the game is pretty much in line with population growth (33% vs 39%) but we have opened up much more Government funding, more participation and areas of participation (women's & touch), plus increased memberships massively.

I'll ask you again and please give a straight answer: are you seriously suggesting that the game in the 90's was bigger than it is now? And by bigger, I don't mean more Sydney clubs in the top flight...

I genuinely believe rugby league had more relevance and was more progressive in 1995.

Stallion

First Grade
No they are not.
If anything they will re-locate a Melbourne club (prob Kangaroos) to Tassie.

There will not be any more teams.

That's not what I've heard! And regardless what's the issue with rugby league going to twenty teams. As far as I'm concerned bigger footprint means more relevance and more fans plus more players!

Stallion

First Grade
My criteria as usual are the actual numbers that matter and that paint a picture of where the game is
I'd love to hear your criteria and how you would paint a story about how the game is not bigger now than it was in the 90's. BTW the storm are not the only club that have grown their attendances, revenues, TV ratings and fan bases since the 90's, every club has.

Underachievement must be your yardstick!

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion

Population increase doesn't account for a massive upsurge in membership, increased sections of the population participating (women's & touch) and increased government funding.

Don't be so negative about the game you love, move on from 1997. The game is bigger than it was then and that is a good thing. It could be worse, we could be in the position the A-League and SuperRugby are in; rapidly fading from the public eye. We are not, we have bucked the trend and are bigger than ever. Don't believe the negative dribble in the media about the game, they have an agenda. Be happy and celebrate that RL is the most watched sport in the country at the moment and we are on the up.

You idiot. Membership wasn't in existence in those days. This has been noted before by others but you continue on with your misinformation. You would have to be the most disrespecful and destructive contributor on this website! Astonishingly negative in a smiling assassin way! Your whole thread is negative!

Stallion

First Grade
Which contributor was that? And how have they shot down in flames that the aggregate attendance in 2018 was larger than in 1996 (and 1995, and 1994 for that matter)? You can't shoot facts down in flames my friend, that is the beauty of them. Also, 2012 was the largest aggregate attendance in history.

Do you have any figures to the contrary or will you just throw words like 'delusional' and 'destructive' around because you know you don't have them and that the attendances really are bigger now than they were back in your 90's nostalgia buble?

tri_colours informed of the 7 out of ten top tv shows were rugby-league in 1995. LEAGUE X111 informed that 6 games were not played back then and that impacted on overall aggregate crowd numbers. On top of that stadium infrastructure and capacities were very different! So continue to dribble as if people unawares of your fake / innapropriate information condone/accept your misinformation. You have wasted plenty of people's time and this thread is an example of such toward rugbyleague .Shame on you!

Last edited: