What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

tri_colours

Juniors
I could'nt agree more on that point. Melbourne teams are provided millions, paid by the AFL, outside of the grant. And I would be pretty certain in saying there highest rating games come from a Melbourne team and another capital city team.

Melbourne and Brisbane attract good ratings in the NRL . However there are almost 50 Th/Fri night games in a season.

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I could agree more on that point. Melbourne teams are provided millions, paid by the AFL, outside of the grant. And I pretty sure I would be pretty right in saying there highest rating games come from a Melbourne team and another state capital team.

Melbourne and Brisbane attract good ratings . However there are almost 50 T/F night games in a season.
They’re also one city teams who have a game every second week in their home city, and majority of the time are playing against a Sydney team.

taipan

Referee
After the crowd at the Warriors v Manly game at Christchurch,I'm now thinking( even talking Wellington into account) a 2nd NZ team would struggle in the union dominated country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
After the crowd at the Warriors v Manly game at Christchurch,I'm now thinking( even talking Wellington into account) a 2nd NZ team would struggle in the union dominated country.

Didnt same game get 17k last year? You'd have to ask why the drop off. NRL reputation in tatters after all the bad media of the off season? City not up for a game after the atrocity of last week? Weather? Why 5k less in one year? What high and low crowds show is potential for good or potential for poor, like anything in life it comes down to which potential you are able to realize.

Even as disappointing as it was it still rates on par with this weekends games so far, such is the low bar for crowds in NRL.

taipan

Referee
Didnt same game get 17k last year? You'd have to ask why the drop off. NRL reputation in tatters after all the bad media of the off season? City not up for a game after the atrocity of last week? Weather? Why 5k less in one year? What high and low crowds show is potential for good or potential for poor, like anything in life it comes down to which potential you are able to realize.

Even as disappointing as it was it still rates on par with this weekends games so far, such is the low bar for crowds in NRL.

That's why I question the commitment.I don't think the scoreline against the Warriors will help either.
The atrocity would have had some effect I agree, but Christchurch is not like Auckland population wise and business wise.
High and low crowds happen with all clubs in Sydney ,weather, scheduling ,and opposition involved play their part.Hence the argument relocating because a club has had a bad year, is full of holes.

ANZ is hardly entertainment central ATM with club supporters.That still hinders crowds.Campbelltown with rain didn't help.Neither did the poor crowd at Nth Qld, nor at Suncorp.IOW not just Sydney.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They do but those teams actually have significantly more fans that support them financially, which helps, a lot! And a variable grant system that means they take from the rich to give to the poor and the likes of st kilda can be bailed out by the afl every year.

Ps just had a quick look and the two highest rating TV games so far are Storm v broncos and broncos v cowboys, which kind of goes against your claim it needs so many Sydney clubs to keep tv ratings up.

Bingo!

The narrative that the Sydney clubs are the current day driver of the NRL is false. Yes, some are; Souths, Eels, Dogs, Dragons - but not all. The major rivalries in the game today based on ratings and attendances are Storm/Broncos/Cowboys/Warriors in various combinations.

Stallion

First Grade
Bingo!

The narrative that the Sydney clubs are the current day driver of the NRL is false. Yes, some are; Souths, Eels, Dogs, Dragons - but not all. The major rivalries in the game today based on ratings and attendances are Storm/Broncos/Cowboys/Warriors in various combinations.

How dumb and ignorant. The Sydney NRL clubs have massive supporter bases around Australia. You keep coming with this destructive agenda!? Don't answer. Heard your reckless comments before and they get no better.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How dumb and ignorant. The Sydney NRL clubs have massive supporter bases around Australia. You keep coming with this destructive agenda!? Don't answer. Heard your reckless comments before and they get no better.

Just for giggles, how many fans do you think Penrith or Manly have around Australia?

Stallion

First Grade
Just for giggles, how many fans do you think Penrith or Manly have around Australia?

Manly Warringah would be as big as Parramatta. This reflects the clubs successful years in the 70's ,80s and 90s. Penrith : not as much however they have had grandfinal success in the 90's and early 2000s period.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Maybe so but that doesn't make what I said untrue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly Warringah would be as big as Parramatta. This reflects the clubs successful years in the 70's ,80s and 90s. Penrith : not as much however they have had grandfinal success in the 90's and early 2000s period.

So how many is massive?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Some Sydney clubs probably do have fans around the country but that doesn't mean that the best attended rivalries with the highest ratings aren't the ones involving expansion clubs; namely Brisbane, Melbourne and to a lesser extent North QLD & NZ Warriors.

Stallion

First Grade
Some Sydney clubs probably do have fans around the country but that doesn't mean that the best attended rivalries with the highest ratings aren't the ones involving expansion clubs; namely Brisbane, Melbourne and to a lesser extent North QLD & NZ Warriors.

Some!? You are f**king kidding! They have immense fab bases around Australia due to the high rating tv exposure of three decades 70s, 80s &90s .Wow @ You’re so not with it! ?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Haven’t popped into this thread in a while...

You guys sorting this shyte out?

I’m sure everyone is keeping an open mind..

Stallion

First Grade
Haven’t popped into this thread in a while...

You guys sorting this shyte out?

I’m sure everyone is keeping an open mind..

No open. mind on a destructive discourse. Sorry but calling a spade an idiot is deservongoing of the recklessness and disrespect from some of these dudes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some!? You are f**king kidding! They have immense fab bases around Australia due to the high rating tv exposure of three decades 70s, 80s &90s .Wow @ You’re so not with it! ?

Massive, immense, fab? Come on give us a number in your estimation.