What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm stating that 10000 odd at a union game should be at least 10000 at a rugby league game. Giving other sports a free kick isn't smart but you can't won't work this out! It's been stated before. Relevance of the code is more than token games. Local and historically recognised clubs like the Bears are an absolute asset. They bring more fans to the top flight than you assert. Your lack of knowledge and feel for the rugby league and what makes it tick is showing again!

The NRL average season attendance is 15k. I don't see what your point is, it far outweighs the Shute Shield average season attendance of around 2k.

Are saying that the 10k people (that only happens two or three times a year mind you) shouldn't be at the Shute Shield at all and should be at an NRL game? You do know that it is likely that most of these are Union fans and always have been right? Northern Sydney is Union heartland also. What's your proposal to go to the ground, put a gun to their head and force them to attend RL games instead?

Or, are you suggesting that these 10k fans (that only show up max three times a year) are disgruntled bears fans? Don't make me laugh, there was a 17 year gap between the demise of the bears and the relative growth of the Shute Shield.

My unanswered question for you remains: what is stopping the bears from doing what the Shute Shield and Newtown are doing from below the first teir?

Stallion

First Grade
Of course, but if someone hasn't played it, it certainly doesn't disqualify them from being a fan and having an opinion.

Never stated that. But it does show a perspective that is not within rugby-league culture. You realise walking the walk compared to just talking the talk does matter?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Never stated that. But it does show a perspective that is not within rugby-league culture. You realise walking the walk compared to just talking the talk does matter?

Lifelong female fans / members that did not have the opportunity to play in their day or even men that didn't want to play the game are still within RL culture.

mongoose

Coach
Moving teams out of Sydney makes little sense. Moving Warriors to Perth and GC to Brisbane would be wiser than moving Sydney teams.

Neither of those options would be wise. Why would you relocate from an area (Auckland) that produces close to 25% of the playing talent? Gold Coast again... There is a lot more upside to having a team there. A city of 600k in RL heartland should have an NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's correct .But that may not be the case with new stadiums . in place and upgraded out suburban grounds upgraded to NRL standard.I repeat ,there are people who claim there is oversaturation in Sydney,and there are people who don't believe that is the case.
Those who believe that ,are either out of town club supporters, or those who are ATM in a position of financial and or membership strength.
There are people who believe we should only expand into Qld and not go to non heartland areas, as the Suns and GWS have shown it to be too expensive and crowd issues..

The suns and GWS were fostered on two areas with little interest in AFL, little wonder they have struggled (though GWS have a membership on par with most NRL clubs it seems).
Brisbane2 and Perth are chomping for a club and there will be no need for vast sums of money to back them up and make them relevant.

But based on the figures I cited for Brisbane hypothetically, adding another team could mean an oversaturation there or indeed if the Broncos lose a number of fans to the new team, and the new team does not get the numbers to attend that they expect. .
TV viewing figures in Brisbane are massive per pop compared to Sydney suggesting their is a very strong latent RL base of supporters there. As the AFL showed in Perth and Adelaide introducing rival clubs in a sports mad city only generates more interest. [/QUOTE]

The TV audiences have hardly grown in Sydney, with rationalising by removing the Bears, and having joint ventures.In fact crowds have not,Bears crowds have not jumped on board other clubs in any numbers, else it would have been reflected in crowds for the likes of the Sea Eagles,Roosters or Tigers.
Some of the joint venture crowds at times have been embarrassing.When Souths were flicked, where did their crowds go? Not to other Sydney clubs.
Rugby league in effect like a big gum tree, ripping away at the roots.Remembering of course local derbies which attract crowds.

TV audiences have grown despite rationalization of Sydney, attendances havent but as you have said stadiums have hardly been conducive and their is an apapthy to NRL in Sydney in seems, another reason dropping a couple to bring in cities with more interest long term is a good thing.

Which brings me to the Storm. I am for their existence and introduction, but one wonders what the situation will be with a few years of poor performances, crowdwise and Tv wise.Their fans don't like certain time slots as do Sydney club fans, and this affects crowds enormously.

Who knows, they may drop off to around 12-13k if crap from the 18-19k when successful but lets be honest you've got Manly playing last night for a top 4 spot that could only draw 8k so its not like the bar is very high!

Mate I've been following rugby league since the late 70s,I've noticed trends, crowd fluctuations,SL wars, joint ventures etc and read and heard about the effects in addition.It's not a case of "no reason to think".When SL war came ,I know of Shark's fans who refused to have anything to do with Murdoch League, and some who were Dragons' fans who simple do not attend because of the loss of the singular St George identity.Look at their crowds now? I've been to the SCG when club games were packed.not now.The 200-300k viewers will be further unenthused, with even less Sydney club supporters because a club was removed.
There are plenty of entertainment choices and venues these days.You can't take fans or people for granted.

AFL would have loved for Nth Melbourne to move, probably St Kilda as well when they last expanded but both refused and like the NRL now they dont need to as the AFL bails them out of their losses. Not to mention AFL has the footprint it wants and needs for the next 2-3 decades so has no need to do anything in terms of expansion or relocation for years to come.

I have no doubt the NRL would lose the majority of a relocated or relegated team, but if the new club generates much greater interest and money, well thats business and long term beneficial to the game as a whole.

VictoryFC

Bench
Neither of those options would be wise. Why would you relocate from an area (Auckland) that produces close to 25% of the playing talent? Gold Coast again... There is a lot more upside to having a team there. A city of 600k in RL heartland should have an NRL team.

I wasn't advocating either. I'm just saying that moving Sydney teams is not a good strategic policy for the game. I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm in favour of expansion to 18 teams with no one moving.

taipan

Referee
The suns and GWS were fostered on two areas with little interest in AFL, little wonder they have struggled (though GWS have a membership on par with most NRL clubs it seems).
Brisbane2 and Perth are chomping for a club and there will be no need for vast sums of money to back them up and make them relevant.

TV viewing figures in Brisbane are massive per pop compared to Sydney suggesting their is a very strong latent RL base of supporters there. As the AFL showed in Perth and Adelaide introducing rival clubs in a sports mad city only generates more interest.

TV audiences have grown despite rationalization of Sydney, attendances havent but as you have said stadiums have hardly been conducive and their is an apapthy to NRL in Sydney in seems, another reason dropping a couple to bring in cities with more interest long term is a good thing.

Who knows, they may drop off to around 12-13k if crap from the 18-19k when successful but lets be honest you've got Manly playing last night for a top 4 spot that could only draw 8k so its not like the bar is very high!

AFL would have loved for Nth Melbourne to move, probably St Kilda as well when they last expanded but both refused and like the NRL now they dont need to as the AFL bails them out of their losses. Not to mention AFL has the footprint it wants and needs for the next 2-3 decades so has no need to do anything in terms of expansion or relocation for years to come.

I have no doubt the NRL would lose the majority of a relocated or relegated team, but if the new club generates much greater interest and money, well thats business and long term beneficial to the game as a whole.[/QUOTE]

The Suns and GWS .GWS were foistered on a city that had an AFL team since 1982 ,thus there was some sort of AFL presence .The Suns had a prior entry on the GC with the Bears.
The point is teams in non heartland area that either do poorly or have been parachuted in ,do not make up for teams lost in heartland areas.No matter what you say, from afar.
Yes they are chomping for an NRL club, just like the Sydney NRL clubs are chomping to remain in the comp, and doing their best to stay in.
TV viewing in heartland areas, is no guarantee of bums on seats.The Broncos cannot fill their stadium as it is .Yes they get crowds that Sydney clubs would love, but 25-28,000 from 2m, compares to the Titans (if you will )average 12,000 on 600,000.Hell most Sydney clubs get a better pro rata within their home areas.

You need to check the ups and downs of TV audiences over the years.Pay Tv is doing far better ,because viewers can watch not only other clubs ,but their own Sydney clubs as well live.Many people are shat off with Nein. And Sydney viewers have shown this to be the case,Hence no doubt FTA loses to Pay.
You keep saying cities with more interest.Heartland yes.
The Storm is an example, of non heartland despite all their semis and G/Fs ,they get SFA coverage in the Melbourne media compared to the Swans.So the interest is subdued by a Vic press who is sodden with fumbleball.
And if the Storm had not been privatised, would the NRL have stepped in to financially underpin them?They did for the Titans and Knights and that ended up costing them some big bikkies.

And what happens if the Pirates get a swag of low crowds after the initial novelty wears off with poor performances, ditto Brisbane 2 .
You see mate you can get sh*t crowds in Sydney that's naturally not a good look, but you can get them outside of Sydney ,and that's also a sh*t look.You know yourself when there was sh*tty weather in Perth, an NRL match drew a poor crowd there .

The AFL would have loved for a joint venture between Hawthorn and another club, and we saw what happened.The AFL are now realists ,they don't want any more disenchantment.All clubs have all seater stadiums to help.
The AFL have been in Sydney for 37 years, with all the money they have poured in, their TV ratings in Sydney are crap.GWS and Suns drain large sums out of the purse.Lions have lost money for a number of years in a row.
You can throw all the ifs and buts around, but if you rob Peter to pay Paul, and Paul is no better than Peter, then you are p*ssing in the wind.The status quo is in play.
That's why I am for an 18 team comp.
Because it is far easier to be dispassionate about Sydney clubs from afar, than at the coalface.The coalface where many big Australian businesses are domiciled.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
[/QUOTE]

Existing established clubs are not fodder! Simply add the expansion clubs.It's not rocket science!

Stallion

First Grade
Lifelong female fans / members that did not have the opportunity to play in their day or even men that didn't want to play the game are still within RL culture.

Tell you what isn't! The vast amount of schools that used to play rugby league in NSW! It's dropped bigtime over the past few decades. Meanwhile union still propagated in most elite private schools along with other codes like AFL getting a start but still no rugby league. You will state this is nothing to be concerned with. It's clear rugby-league is losing out in this scenario . The apathy continues!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Tell you what isn't! The vast amount of schools that used to play rugby league on NSW! It's dropped bigtime over the past few decades. Meanwhile union still propagated in most elite private schools along with other codes like AFL getting a start but still no rugby league. You will state this is nothing to be concerned with. It's clear rugby-league is losing out in this scenario . The apathy continues!

Can you put a number on this vast number of NSW schools that have stopped playing league?
We accept that elite schools don’t play so no need to bang on about it in your response.

Stallion

First Grade
Can you put a number on this vast number of NSW schools that have stopped playing league?
We accept that elite schools don’t play so no need to bang on about it in your response.

Part of your issue/approach is that you do accept the elite schools not playing rugby league . The numbers of schools not playing rugby league are growing every year. I'm aware of schools many schools in Newcastle that used to play rugby league but are not doing so these days ( particularly in the Catholic sector lately)

Pommy

Coach
Part of your issue/approach is that you do accept the elite schools not playing rugby league . The numbers of schools not playing rugby league are growing every year. I'm aware of schools many schools in Newcastle that used to play rugby league but are not doing so these days ( particularly in the Catholic sector lately)

But you have no figure to quantify the term vast?

Stallion

First Grade
Can put it into Prmary school figures for this year compared to five years ago in my local area.The Knights knockout had just 3 Catholic schools participating this year. It was about ten in previous years. Twenty three Catholic primary schools exist in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie area. Knights knockout was won by Valentine Public over Singleton public (bigger schools comp) & Dudley public beat Fingal Bay public in the medium size schools comp. The teacher/coach of the Dudley team noted the reduced participation of the Catholic schools.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a shame the nrl dropped publishing state registered player numbers in its annual report. It was the only place you could get a true picture of growth or reduction of grass roots.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tell you what isn't! The vast amount of schools that used to play rugby league in NSW! It's dropped bigtime over the past few decades. Meanwhile union still propagated in most elite private schools along with other codes like AFL getting a start but still no rugby league. You will state this is nothing to be concerned with. It's clear rugby-league is losing out in this scenario . The apathy continues!

Do you have a source for this claim? Also, completely off topic.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Interesting to note a couple of figures when we are talking about expansion areas coming in at the expense of traditional Sydney clubs:

• 1999 was the last season that the Bears competed in the NRL - the league average attendance was 13,937
  • 2000 when the bears were removed the league average increased to 14,366 climing to an eventual peak of 16,423 in 2012
It is very hard to argue based on that, that losing the Bears hurt the NRL when you consider that Melbourne not only covers the lost Bears' attendances but also more than covers them in Corporate sponsorship, TV ratings and allows for a bigger footprint in the game. I know Melbourne weren't a direct replacement for Norths but it shows that relegating certain teams that are no longer up to NRL level doesn't actually harm the game in the short, medium or long term when looking at the bigger picture.

Further evidence that it is the expansion teams, not the traditional clubs that will drive the game forward is the SL / ARL split season where most of the non-Sydney clubs were in SL and most of the Sydney clubs were in the ARL:

SL season average: 12,347
ARL season average: 9,915

Here are the top drawing clubs of 1997:
  • Brisbane 19,298 - SL
  • North QLD 17,539 - SL
  • Parramatta: 15,647 - ARL
  • NZ Warriors: 15,442 - SL
  • Adelaide: 15,330 - SL
Only one Sydney club in the top 5 and Adelaide showing what is possible if we make the hard decisions and do what is best for the game as a whole and focus on the bigger picture.

Last edited: