What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
OMG. Even you have conceded that another club in Brisbane is a must do! That's why they get Primetime most weeks! The Sydney clubs you so despicably deride are why clubs like Brisbane and elsewhere are in the competition! You actually don't understand that the general public understand this. It's clear you don't but they are not people with eyes and ears painted on. They are immersed in a local sports culture that respects and values tradition,history, longevity and local rivalries. YOU DON'T!

Can I just get this right... Brisbane gets bigger crowds and TV ratings because it is undersupplied by NRL clubs. We 100% agree on that fact.

Now, let's take that same logic and apply it to Sydney. The great clubs of Sydney get lower crowds and TV ratings than they should because the city is oversupplied by NRL clubs.

Well done Stallion, you are learning

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No great achievement, however it gives the networks more advertising opportunities in Australia's largest market . And if we got rid of some of these teams it would give
the networks less advertising opportunities.

I notice the Broncos didn't fare that well here.

Broncos v St George (Syd) 244k (Bris) 208k

Broncos v West (Syd) 194k (Bris) 202k

Broncos v Souths (Syd) 237k (Bris) 193k

Broncos v C’Bury (Syd) 207k (bris) 188k

Broncos v Parra (Syd) 193K (Bris) 194k

Broncos v sharks (Syd)215 (Bris) 204k

Broncos v East (Syd)151k (Bris)141k

Broncos v Penrith ?????????????????

Broncos v Manly (Syd) 171k (Bris) 151k

Cherry picking is nice and all, but are you trying to claim with the above that they are not the highest watched club in the NRL in terms of TV ratings?

Re: Sydney - I agree, the big clubs of Sydney are very important to TV and advertising in the country's biggest market. It's just that this rule doesn't apply equally to all Sydney clubs, some are much, much more important than others.

Stallion

First Grade
Beacuse? .... I embarrassed you with facts?

Lol. Ignoramus logic deserves ridicule. Don't like doing so but some people deserve it with their constant ignorance of what matters in this very envied and world renowned competition. All as a result of the rich story of its foundation Sydney clubs.

Stallion

First Grade
Can I just get this right... Brisbane gets bigger crowds and TV ratings because it is undersupplied by NRL clubs. We 100% agree on that fact.

Now, let's take that same logic and apply it to Sydney. The great clubs of Sydney get lower crowds and TV ratings than they should because the city is oversupplied by NRL clubs.

Well done Stallion, you are learning

Lol. Got it wrong again! No surprise though!

Stallion

First Grade
If the NRL were smart they would reinvigorate and strengthen the competition with a reclamation type inclusion of the Central Coast Bears and the readmittance of a second Brisbane team. This would give the NRL a very solid foundation going forward with an extra game. But it's too sensible for those in charge or having input into the future of the NRL. Let it wither in the vine instead and give other codes the ascendancy. That's the go ! Isn't it?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
nrl has done everything it can do to help the clubs out by giving Clubs a massive grant increase. Despite this leg up there are some clubs in very precarious positions. It is up to the clubs to thrive or get out of the way. If they can’t do it with a $13mill grant / $10mill salary cap / football Dept cap, then its hard to see they ever will.

Stallion

First Grade
nrl has done everything it can do to help the clubs out by giving Clubs a massive grant increase. Despite this leg up there are some clubs in very precarious positions. It is up to the clubs to thrive or get out of the way. If they can’t do it with a $13mill grant / $10mill salary cap / football Dept cap, then its hard to see they ever will.

Not interested in that chatter. And NO it has not done anywhere near enough. For a start fixing up the mess from superleague has not been done! South Sydney are back and so is the Gold Coast. Get the Bears and Brisbane 2 back and its getting better! You will find that if the NRL loses well established clubs they will also lose the advantage they have over other codes. Game over!

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
If the NRL were smart they would reinvigorate and strengthen the competition with a reclamation type inclusion of the Central Coast Bears and the readmittance of a second Brisbane team. This would give the NRL a very solid foundation going forward with an extra game. But it's too sensible for those in charge or having input into the future of the NRL. Let it wither in the vine instead and give other codes the ascendancy. That's the go ! Isn't it?!
I have to admit that I don’t completely agree with this. I see you’re very passionate about the NSW clubs (as am I) and in particular the bears but I just don’t think the Bears are an option whilst the Sea Eagles exist. I only say this because Manly could essentially make a name change to encompass that north shore/central coast region.... they could even do the diabolical thing of calling themselves the Northern Eagles again.

By all means, happy to see the Bears back if Manly fall off the perch and have them take the Central Coast and Northern Sydney. Have the Roosters absorb the Penninsula. I just don’t see both existing in the NRL at the expense of making the game span across the continent to WA.

As far as Brisbane 2 or whatever they’ll be called, I’d say it’s almost a certainty to happen. I just don’t think you can bring back the Bears at the expense of a footprint in the West.

You can call me a blasphemer, disloyal, ignorant or whatever; and I truly think the Bears were hard done by in their initial merger with Manly, but much like diehard Illawarra and Magpies fans, we need to move on from the bygone era.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
It’s going to happen sooner or later. There’s a few clubs grimly hanging on by their fingernails,
In your opinion would it be best for Sydney teams to relocate to expansion areas or just drop out of the NRL altogether to be replaced by a Perth or a Brisbane2 etc?

Stallion

First Grade
I have to admit that I don’t completely agree with this. I see you’re very passionate about the NSW clubs (as am I) and in particular the bears but I just don’t think the Bears are an option whilst the Sea Eagles exist. I only say this because Manly could essentially make a name change to encompass that north shore/central coast region.... they could even do the diabolical thing of calling themselves the Northern Eagles again.

By all means, happy to see the Bears back if Manly fall off the perch and have them take the Central Coast and Northern Sydney. Have the Roosters absorb the Penninsula. I just don’t see both existing in the NRL at the expense of making the game span across the continent to WA.

As far as Brisbane 2 or whatever they’ll be called, I’d say it’s almost a certainty to happen. I just don’t think you can bring back the Bears at the expense of a footprint in the West.

You can call me a blasphemer, disloyal, ignorant or whatever; and I truly think the Bears were hard done by in their initial merger with Manly, but much like diehard Illawarra and Magpies fans, we need to move on from the bygone era.

The way I see it if Manly exists it is complemented by the Bears existence on the Central Coast. We differ. Think the localism is a strength.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In your opinion would it be best for Sydney teams to relocate to expansion areas or just drop out of the NRL altogether to be replaced by a Perth or a Brisbane2 etc?

That’s a tough one. Pros and cons to both options. Personally I’d rather see a much higher profile second division with clubs aiming for 8- 10k fans and operating on budgets of around $5mll, elegised and with much greater media attention.
Teams dropping into that league are much more likely to be able to sustain interest and jrs in the game in their area than moving interstate and risk of an area becoming disenfranchised with RL.

Having said that if you’ve got a total virgin area you desperate to have in an nrl club in, say Adelaide or NZ south, then there are advantages to a established brand moving in and starting strong from day one,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not interested in that chatter. And NO it has not done anywhere near enough. For a start fixing up the mess from superleague has not been done! South Sydney are back and so is the Gold Coast. Get the Bears and Brisbane 2 back and its getting better! You will find that if the NRL loses well established clubs they will also lose the advantage they have over other codes. Game over!

You might not be, but the annual reports are there to see in their glory detail. Nrl won’t cut anyone but if that many mouths can be sustained time will tell. Adding another nsw mouthi to a starving table is the epitome of stupidity.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The way I see it if Manly exists it is complemented by the Bears existence on the Central Coast. We differ. Think the localism is a strength.
Yeah, agree to disagree. I think the localism WAS a strength in its day. The merger killed that though and to be fair, the localism and rivalry there isn’t anything in comparison to what Roosters V Souths have. It might have been a good thing had both clubs stayed in the comp but I think now the Bears have been gone far too long. We’ve got a generation about to come through who have no idea about the Bears and the history there and I think the new NRL tag line of “a new era” speaks to that. They want to go forward and so I just don’t see the Bears in their plan anything soon.

As for one of the other posts here. I think new cities (Perth, Adelaide, even Bris 2 to a lesser extent) need a brand new licence/team to back, not a relocated one. I think if any of the Sydney clubs were to rebrand or move to outer areas (ie. Dragons go to Wollongong instead of staying in Kograh, Manly adopt the Central Coast, or the Tigers permanently move to Campbelltown) thenthats the kind of relocation I’d see happening. You can consolidate greater Sydney without adding more clubs, but I think the future of expansion needs to be in new markets or expansion of the smaller presence in others (metro Brisbane/Melbourne).

Stallion

First Grade
Yeah, agree to disagree. I think the localism WAS a strength in its day. The merger killed that though and to be fair, the localism and rivalry there isn’t anything in comparison to what Roosters V Souths have. It might have been a good thing had both clubs stayed in the comp but I think now the Bears have been gone far too long. We’ve got a generation about to come through who have no idea about the Bears and the history there and I think the new NRL tag line of “a new era” speaks to that. They want to go forward and so I just don’t see the Bears in their plan anything soon.

As for one of the other posts here. I think new cities (Perth, Adelaide, even Bris 2 to a lesser extent) need a brand new licence/team to back, not a relocated one. I think if any of the Sydney clubs were to rebrand or move to outer areas (ie. Dragons go to Wollongong instead of staying in Kograh, Manly adopt the Central Coast, or the Tigers permanently move to Campbelltown) thenthats the kind of relocation I’d see happening. You can consolidate greater Sydney without adding more clubs, but I think the future of expansion needs to be in new markets or expansion of the smaller presence in others (metro Brisbane/Melbourne).

It's not adding more clubs in Sydney.It's actually reclaiming lost territory. DON'T think abandoning northern Sydney with 1.2 million people is a wise idea!?Easily enough population for two clubs covering the Central Coast and northern Sydney.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
It's not adding more clubs in Sydney.It's actually reclaiming lost territory. DON'T think abandoning northern Sydney with 1.2 million people is a wise idea!?Easily enough population for two clubs covering the Central Coast and northern Sydney.
Why don’t manly move to the north Sydney oval and be known as the north Sydney sea Eagles or just eagles?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why don’t manly move to the north Sydney oval and be known as the north Sydney sea Eagles or just eagles?

Because like stallion and dinosaurs they are stuck in the past and think being a localised suburban club will keep them relevant. Reality is they are currently a nsw Cup club punching just above their weight.

tri_colours

Juniors
Cherry picking is nice and all, but are you trying to claim with the above that they are not the highest watched club in the NRL in terms of TV ratings?

Re: Sydney - I agree, the big clubs of Sydney are very important to TV and advertising in the country's biggest market. It's just that this rule doesn't apply equally to all Sydney clubs, some are much, much more important than others.

I could have shown you more Brisbane v Sydney matches. They all have similar results. But the simple fact is, its not relevant. What is relevant though is that Sydney , with a potential viewing audience of over 4.5million is the most attractive area, to the networks in this country..