What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAVALAWA speed freek or bulldozer

possm

Coach
Disagree
For their price they are doing just fine.
You cannot have everything in life!
CC
I'd be happy if we totalled the salary of Dugan, Macdonald and Nightingale and then spent the same on Dufty and two big fast first grade wingers. As it stands only Dufty has real speed out of our back 3.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Probably an analogy that many wouldn’t expect, but Ravalawa reminds me of Steve Waugh’s batting.

Waugh used to turn “blind” while running between wickets result in numerous run outs.

After a hit up, Ravalawa simply turns his back on play (similar effect of turning “blind” in cricket) and jogs half arsed back to his position apparently oblivious that the game is in progress.

(Does he feel it’s stopped for his benefit?)

He’s not that quick either.

Sorry, I’m not on sold him. Ravalawa is mediocre at best; a poor man’s Eto Nabuli.

Saints should be aiming higher with its recruiting process.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Love Ravi!!
amazing raw as all hell prospect!
Hell learn to catch because he is learning to ENJOY winning!
and hell score us heaps of tries aswell, hes a tiny Meninga to me, did you see the look on his face when the crowd was cheering after he scored? he LOVES the attention he will be a superstar for us and a cult fave for years, get better and better until the talk will be " remember when he first played early on in his career he had loose hands " and the reaction from everyone will be ' wow cant remember that!!'
GO RAVI!!
just catch those damn balls by not taking your damn eye of the thing and youll be a GUN for YEARS!

GO DRAGONS !! what a turnaround, love all the newies, cant wait to see KERR get amongst em now aswell and a tad of ROBSON OH YEAHHH!!!

Coughs....round five.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Periera is great, reminds me of a more coordinated Nightingale at times. He's a player in the same category as Josh Mansour. Not so fast, but strong and very smart. Has great footy IQ as shown by his positioning

Agreed...Peirera is an honest performer, who, like Nightingale, plays well beyond his weight.

I’d like to see him improve his aerial skills.

Crush

Coach
Probably an analogy that many wouldn’t expect, but Ravalawa reminds me of Steve Waugh’s batting.

Waugh used to turn “blind” while running between wickets result in numerous run outs.

After a hit up, Ravalawa simply turns his back on play (similar effect of turning “blind” in cricket) and jogs half arsed back to his position apparently oblivious that the game is in progress.

(Does he feel it’s stopped for his benefit).

He’s not that quick either.

Sorry, I’m not sold him. Ravalawa is mediocre at best; a poor man’s Eto Nabuli.

Saints should be aiming higher with its recruiting process.
You'll come around on Ravalawa Jimmy.
Just as you are warming to Cameron McInnes.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just hope that he is not lining up against Jorge Tufua (?) the real bulldozer , he one player that can knock others out of the way ever so easily.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I'd be happy if we totalled the salary of Dugan, Macdonald and Nightingale and then spent the same on Dufty and two big fast first grade wingers. As it stands only Dufty has real speed out of our back 3.

I'd prefer two wingers that can jump and contest a bomb from Hunt or Norman. This attacking option happens a lot more than the runaway try.

Unfortunately our wingers/centres don't seem to know when we are putting up the bomb and we rarely compete in the air near the try line. Mary give then a quick maths class and after 5 tackles expect the bomb to go up! or l;ook at the ref and if he/she raises their arm, get ready to sprint.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I'd prefer two wingers that can jump and contest a bomb from Hunt or Norman. This attacking option happens a lot more than the runaway try.

Unfortunately our wingers/centres don't seem to know when we are putting up the bomb and we rarely compete in the air near the try line. Mary give then a quick maths class and after 5 tackles expect the bomb to go up! or l;ook at the ref and if he/she raises their arm, get ready to sprint.
lol you think mary knows how to do maths? hahaha ur kidding he doesnt even know how to control a team without 6 assistant coaches

getsmarty

Immortal
ravalawam-try-190328702-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Ravalawa travels light from Fiji to bright lights of NRL
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

When rookie St George Illawarra winger Mikaele Ravalawa arrived from Fiji to begin his NRL career he had nothing more than a backpack with a change of clothes and his football boots.

Ravalawa, who was recruited by the Raiders in 2017 after being spotted playing rugby union in Christchurch, recounted his introduction to Australia as he spoke about his hopes of establishing himself at the Dragons beyond his current two-year contract.

After landing at Canberra airport at the start of the 2017 season, Ravalawa was met by Raiders welfare manager David Thom.

"We went down to the luggage room and we were waiting there for a while," Ravalawa said.

"I turned around to him and asked what are we waiting for, and he just said ‘we are waiting for your luggage’.

"I said ‘sorry, I don’t have any luggage. I have just got my backpack here’. It was just a small backpack."

Ravalawa’s backpack contained nowhere enough to survive a Canberra winter.

Under Lights - Anzac Round edition: Ben Hunt

"I just had some clothes – just one spare undies, one pants, a shirt and my rugby boots. That’s all," he said.

"When I got there it was getting cold and I was like, ‘oh, it’s freezing’. Straight after my first payment I went shopping and I started buying warm stuff like jumpers."

The former Fiji under 18s rugby sevens captain had little knowledge of rugby league or interest in the NRL but after winning Canberra’s under 20s player of the year in 2017, earning selection in the Bati’s World Cup squad and making his debut for the Dragons in round one that has changed.

Gradually improving with each NRL appearance, the 21-year-old has scored three tries in his last two matches against Newcastle and Canterbury, made 19 line breaks and is averaging 136.5 running metres in five games.

Fiji teammate and former South Sydney utility James Storer, who lives in Wollongong, has taken Ravalawa under his wing since he joined St George Illawarra and the pair regularly go fishing together.

"I know James from when I went to the World Cup," Ravalawa said.

"He just came down to the beach to play touch. I went there and saw him there. The next morning, we went spear diving and caught some fish.

"He is a good bloke. He just told me to contact him if I wanted anything. He always helps others and treats them in the same way."

After having to rely on teammates to take him to training in Canberra, Ravalawa is enjoying living near WIN Stadium, where the Dragons host Manly on Saturday night.

"It’s like way different moving from Canberra to Wolllongong than coming from Fiji to Canberra," he said.

"In Canberra I lived like 30 minutes away from the stadium.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Bulldogs

"The weather in Wollongong is pretty much like back home and it is so nice. The stadium is near the sea and you breathe good air at training.

"The first time coming here I was so nervous. I didn’t really know some of the big Aussie players like Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims and Paul Vaughan. I had just heard of them and seen them on TV but everyone has welcomed me.

"I am here for a few years and if I play good I will probably go for them again."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/17/ravalawa-travels-light-from-fiji-to-bright-lights-of-nrl/

nontime111

Juniors
Can someone please tell me what is this fascination with length of the field trys?

I mean, how many are scored each round from each team from the wing?

Our game (McGregors game) plan does not facilitate spreading the ball from within our own half, never mind our own 20m. 5 hit ups and kick, thats our play.
We only look at spreading once we get over (or close enough to) the half way line. So, a bullocking run from Rava or JP or Aitken and even Lafai is our play.
Safety first from within our half, attack in theirs.

Our real only hope of a long range try would be similar to the Ben Hunt to Dufty try last year, where the opposition dropped the ball, thats really it.

Just another point, our wingers are being used more frequently as an extra forward, carting the ball up, hardly the place for a sleek ferrari. Our wingers more the Landcruiser type.
and thats ok.....weve always been an original mob thats why we bleed red and white.....look at NIGHTINGALE! how gangly and unconventional he looked but DAMN a FERRARI!! Nights sums us up as a club.... and I LOVE IT!

Glenn012

Juniors
and are both SO new to this game and with MASSIVE potential, watch em keep getting better n better n better!!
Pereira isn't young. He has been playing great but I don't think he has any more upside to his game. If he can maintain this level for a few years, that will be great. As long as it doesn't come down to an Aitken-Lomax situation where one guy performing relatively well is keeping a guy with much more potential who is ready for NRL now on the bench or in the ISP.

I would like to see Ravalawa get into the clear to see how fast he really is. He runs hard and took a few really good bombs against his taller Bullgrubs opposite last week. Seems to have tremendous potential.

Glenn012

Juniors

Ravalawa took a few excellent bombs in defence last week. if he can do it in defence against one of the tallest wingers in the competition, I don't see any reason he can't do it in attack.

Latest posts