What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ravawala

Frank Facer

First Grade
Field at left centre would provide us with Roberts type speed. He would have a much better passing game than Roberts. The more I think about the idea of Field at left centre, the more I would like to see how it would go.

Marsters is another one who could step up and take the left centre spot. I would be even interested to see him get a run on one of the wings this year.

possm

Coach
Field at left centre would provide us with Roberts type speed. He would have a much better passing game than Roberts. The more I think about the idea of Field at left centre, the more I would like to see how it would go.

Marsters is another one who could step up and take the left centre spot. I would be even interested to see him get a run on one of the wings this year.
How is Master's defence?

gitano

Juniors

Oh dear.

Frank Facer

First Grade
How is Master's defence?
I haven't seen much of Marsters, but I did like the cameo in the trials. Some players rise to the occasion when the are given a run in first grade. Some players actually perform better around better players. Reports on this forum were that Garrick's form in reserves wasn't good enough, especially his defence, but he has been given a shot by Manly and has held his spot all season. Many say that Field's defence isn't good enough for first grade, but he has gone alright in the few chances he has had.

Marsters has played fullback, so he should be alright under the high ball. He has a big build and I read an old report that he is fast too. There were big wraps on him early last year, or even the year before. As I said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run on the wing this year.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He has put together a couple of really good plays, he has a big body and can bring the ball back. He also has surprisingly good vision in attack probably from playing sevens. I dont think he is there yet but he shows some good signs however, if he cant keep showing continual improvement a call needs to be made. I think he is worth a go so long as we dont keep the experiment going too long if its obvious he isn't up to it.

He’s had eight games to prove his worth...Ravalawa is RUBBISH!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The fact is we have 4 genuine Reserve grade wingers , The worst in the NRL to choose from . Last year BMoz , Ferguson and Oates were on the market and we ended up with what we have .

When we let BMoz go he was still as good as any in the world and to this day have never come close to replacing him . A clever club like the Roosters lose Ferguson and replace him with BMoz . We lose McDonald and replace him with the likes of Ravalawa , Maranta , Pearson .

Oates is again on the market talking to clubs . Pay him what he wants and get rid of the plodders and useless centres like Aitken to cover the costs .

I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve said that SGI has failed to replace Morris since the end of 2014.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It is not Norman's salary I am worried about, it is Widdop's salary. I hold the opinion he should have been granted the release on the condition that he leaves before the commencement of the 2019 season. I can guarantee that if these funds were coming out of Millwards pay packet, he would have let Widdop go.

So with the salary of Dugan, Widdop, Macdonald, Nightingale, we could have signed at least two good winger fullbacks and retained Garrick and Herbert. With Saab and Lomax ready to embark on the first grade career, we would then have enough quality backs to rely on.

In the forwards we needed to retain Robson and rotate Kerr and Timm through the bench. Young Ford is another young backrower who could be rotated through the bench to take the load off injured T Sims, Frizell and Lawrie.

You’re assuming that a brace of good wingers (plus a fullback) would want to come to SGI with McGregor as “coach”.

LINESPEED

Juniors
You’re assuming that a brace of good wingers (plus a fullback) would want to come to SGI with McGregor as “coach”.

Agree
So that’s why ATM we’d more or less have to look from within

Go with the juniors & f*ck the hacks & journeymen - as we have a first rate nursery IMO

But of course Waterboy’s penchant is for journeymen & hacks because giving them redemption & lovingkindness guarantees their loyalty - which shores up Waterboy in shed politics

The ars*hole must think we’re stupid as well

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
I think Rav needs a full season in reserves to learn the basics of the game. He has size, speed and strength. Having him and Periera alongside Dufty for kick returns is very handy. But he struggles with some of the basics including ball handling, positioning and under the high ball. We cannot carry three players (Dufty, Lomax, Rav) learning their trade in the backline. Of the 3 Rav has to go.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I really wish I could watch all the reserve games so I could comment on players like Masters, Timm, Kerr, Pearson, Saab etc. Etc.

From the little I have seen, I am not convinced some are ready yet, but surely we could blood some guys and find out? It’s not like the full 17 at the moment are irreplaceable...

possm

Coach
I haven't seen much of Marsters, but I did like the cameo in the trials. Some players rise to the occasion when the are given a run in first grade. Some players actually perform better around better players. Reports on this forum were that Garrick's form in reserves wasn't good enough, especially his defence, but he has been given a shot by Manly and has held his spot all season. Many say that Field's defence isn't good enough for first grade, but he has gone alright in the few chances he has had.

Marsters has played fullback, so he should be alright under the high ball. He has a big build and I read an old report that he is fast too. There were big wraps on him early last year, or even the year before. As I said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run on the wing this year.
Would you choose Masters over Pereira, Rava, Maranta and Saab?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think Rav needs a full season in reserves to learn the basics of the game. He has size, speed and strength. Having him and Periera alongside Dufty for kick returns is very handy. But he struggles with some of the basics including ball handling, positioning and under the high ball. We cannot carry three players (Dufty, Lomax, Rav) learning their trade in the backline. Of the 3 Rav has to go.

Does Ravalawa possess speed? I’m yet to see it. As previously mentioned, I don’t believe he has any game awareness, which is pivotal for any winger.

possm

Coach
He's still the most reliable of all the backs and he and Jordan are working well together, especially defensively. There are far bigger problems in the squad.
I don't disagree with you. That is why I'm promoting the idea for bringing in a new left centre and possibly a new right winger; both of first grade quality and both with speed to burn.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Would you choose Masters over Pereira, Rava, Maranta and Saab?
I haven't seen much of Marsters. I have seen nothing of Saab and nothing of Maranta since he got here. I would like to see Marsters get a run ahead or Rava right now.

denis preston

First Grade
I haven't seen much of Marsters. I have seen nothing of Saab and nothing of Maranta since he got here. I would like to see Marsters get a run ahead or Rava right now.

Frank , we have players such as Trimm, Kerr , Pearson &Field who deserve a t least a go in the NRL to see how they perform and they should be way ahead of Masters & Maranta in the peaking order. Both are slow and in Masters case an abysmal defender. He should be told that he won't get a chance until he fixes it.If defense is 90% attitude than obviously his is bad.He is just great with the ball in hand though.

Old Timer

Coach
Plays like a rugby 7’s player thus the great inside pass and also questionable reads in defence.
Has more potential than others and actually shows signs of improvement which means he should hold his spot for the near future.

Walpole

Juniors
I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve said that SGI has failed to replace Morris since the end of 2014.
I wish I had a dollar for every time one of our forum selectors picked a bloke out of position or one they hadn't even seen play.