What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 12: Raiders @ Cows

thickos

First Grade
After an improved but still unrewarding showing last week, do we hold any hope of scoring a big away upset against the Cowboys?

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah, pray for a Queensland origin win (I would be anyway). Our best chance is for them to be on such a high after winning origin that they cant focus on a club game, and a fairly unimportant club game in their eyes too.

paulquinn49

Bench
Yeah I go for QLD aswell, I'm just hoping they get so tired after the win that they are rested for the game.

Roy Rover

Juniors
I think we've got a real chance of causing an upset.
There's probably no better time to play them up there.

I remember last year Jason Smith making an early return from Injury and getting over the cowboys last year. Hopefully somethign simmilar can happen again

dubby

Bench
I am scared. Scared because they will target our Howell and Purtell wings.
(Matt Sing vs Purtell? puh-leeze.)
Bowen will be drawing them in all game, just watch Howell running in all the time as he usually does to try and cut off the man with the ball.
The Cows can score at will, and if our boys don't number up......we will be hammered.
It will also be alot warmer in Townsville, this may come into affect.

Paullyboy

Coach
Imagine if it was a day game in Townsville. Us letting in 200 would be a conservative estimate

nickraider

Juniors
It's probably the best time to be playing them after origin. Hopefully Thurston, Bowen and co will be a little deflated after Qld's win ;-) and will be a bit off their game. The weather could go against us too. Probably be about 25 degrees. Still here's hoping. We really need to win this one.

reptar

Juniors
No chance. Even if they're down on their game, we'll be close but lose it marginally.

If they're on the game, AFL scores will occur.

Unless, of course, we can actually select some backs that can defend.

Panjabi

Juniors
Aside from the players backing up for the Cowboys another thing in the Raiders favour is that Graham Murry and Neil Henry will both be on Origin duty this week.

aussies1st

Staff member
Team for this week

1 Clinton Schifcofske (c)
2 Craig Frawley
3 Phil Graham
4 Adam Mogg
5 David Howell
6 Todd Carney
7 Lincoln Withers
8 Andrew Lomu
9 Simon Woolford
10 Troy Thompson
11 Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12 Jason Croker
13 Alan Tongue

INTERCHANGE
14 Marshall Chalk
15 Ben Jones
16 Michael Hodgson
17 Jason Williams
18 Terry Martin
19 Alan Rothery

At long last, Purtell is gone.

hrundi99

First Grade
Howell on the wing could be an interesting experiment...

I like that team, but where's Thurling?

Timbo

Staff member
Bout frigging time.

Hang on-WHERE THE f**k IS THURLING!!!

ARGH.

Raider_69

Post Whore
one step forward - purtell gorn
two steps back - no thurling and howell retains

welcome to the elliott 5 year plan

Macko8

Juniors
see this is the kinda line-up which upsets raiders fans.
and im just scratching my head like everyone as to why elliot hasnt included thurling in the team. Thurling HAS to be one of the first forwards picked.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Would like to have seen Thurling in the team, but at least this is the best backline (with the glaring exception of our missing 5/8) that I have seen all year.

Not sure that we'll make much of a dent in the Cowboys, but this is a team that should win as many as it loses, anyway.

thickos

First Grade
Look the backline is definitely looking stronger, Frawley back in was a no-brainer - can't believe he got dropped anyway!

Howell is an untouchable so no point bitching about his retention - but Thurling should definitely feel hard done by.

I feel the forward pack has the wrong balance - I don't rate Williams at all, too many workers - get Tilse and Weyman in ASAP.

reptar

Juniors
Guys,

Just thought about a possible solution for our 5/8 problem next year. As Elliott's last official act as coach of the Raiders, he will announce the signing of Terry Lamb. It's felt although the pace of the modern game has changed, that him taking up a position in the team will help develop our younger players.

And if Terry Lamb isn't available, surely Cliff Lyons can keep the cigarette merchants at Bruce solvent.

dubby

Bench
Raider_69 said:
one step forward - purtell gorn
two steps back - no thurling and howell retains

welcome to the elliott 5 year plan

:lol: It's funny cos its true!

Elliots 5 year plans are like Peter Beatties 10 point plans....

Face it guys, Matty loves Howell and he will always be in the team bar injury or suspension. :(

Good to see Terry Martin in there. Weyman can't be far away.