What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.13 v Bulldogs - Origin Time

murraymob

First Grade
Stunned to see we are heavy favourites and sitting at-8.5 for the game.How bad are the dogs at full strength To be getting 8.5 start

Girds89

Bench
Stunned to see we are heavy favourites and sitting at-8.5 for the game.How bad are the dogs at full strength To be getting 8.5 start

I like our chances to be honest. We shouldnt be favs but i give us a shot.

I really wanted falls to play 7 with luai at 6 last year when nath was injured.

I think him and sos together will kill it.

Tipping edwards and fish will go to another level with the c next to their name.

Api will be huge too.

If we can shut down burto and his long kicking game we will be ok. Keep them in their own end and they will struggle..

Pretty excited to see how we go.. hoping for a good result because a win would do sos and falls a world of confidence and also mean ivan might not need to rush nath and luai back in later in the series.

I think this game is more important than people think..

Win and the confidence to play the reserve guys through origin period goes up massivley. And the benefit of not overplaying the origin boys is huge.

We saw last year how much backing up and playing injured catches up.

If we can scrap wins through this period with the back up guys and the others dont have to back up than we will be in a real great spot for the back end which will be even harder than last year with everyone coming for us.

Weve already seen this year every time is playing their best for us.

So the origin boys will need their rest.

I almost think this is one of our most important games of the year so far..

Confident in falls, sos and the whole team. I think it will be a real close game but confident we can get it done.

Burton and TPJ are the keys. Shut down the kicking game and pangais offloads and i think we will get it done.

Nealo 12

Bench
I like our chances to be honest. We shouldnt be favs but i give us a shot.

I really wanted falls to play 7 with luai at 6 last year when nath was injured.

I think him and sos together will kill it.

Tipping edwards and fish will go to another level with the c next to their name.

Api will be huge too.

If we can shut down burto and his long kicking game we will be ok. Keep them in their own end and they will struggle..

Pretty excited to see how we go.. hoping for a good result because a win would do sos and falls a world of confidence and also mean ivan might not need to rush nath and luai back in later in the series.

I think this game is more important than people think..

Win and the confidence to play the reserve guys through origin period goes up massivley. And the benefit of not overplaying the origin boys is huge.

We saw last year how much backing up and playing injured catches up.

If we can scrap wins through this period with the back up guys and the others dont have to back up than we will be in a real great spot for the back end which will be even harder than last year with everyone coming for us.

Weve already seen this year every time is playing their best for us.

So the origin boys will need their rest.

I almost think this is one of our most important games of the year so far..

Confident in falls, sos and the whole team. I think it will be a real close game but confident we can get it done.

Burton and TPJ are the keys. Shut down the kicking game and pangais offloads and i think we will get it done.
Well Pangai won’t be there apparently

Original Name

Juniors
I would've played Smuggys man Salmon at 6. Unless they are actually intending him to play some decent minutes on an edge/middle this week, seems pointless giving him another 10 mins here and there. Why not try and give him a decent run at 6 so if we do cop and injury in the halves or backs and is needed in a semi, he's actually played more than 3 minutes in that position all year.
Salmon's in the side to cover centre/five eight in case of injury. That's his purpose not to play five eight the next game when we came name Falls or SOS.

martielang

Bench
Salmon's in the side to cover centre/five eight in case of injury. That's his purpose not to play five eight the next game when we came name Falls or SOS.

So why wouldn’t you give Salmon time in those positions when you have the opportunity to do so? Rather than playing Falls who is 4th choice and won’t get a sniff unless we get some significant injuries.

snickers007

Juniors
So why wouldn’t you give Salmon time in those positions when you have the opportunity to do so? Rather than playing Falls who is 4th choice and won’t get a sniff unless we get some significant injuries.

My guess is that you take stability whenever you can get it. Falls and SOS have had 9 games together as a pair. SOS and Salmon have 0.

It's the same reason why we have Chris Smith come straight in to cover Martin - our bench can remain unchanged.
If Fish or Leota were out, Eisenhuth comes straight in, rather than Sorenson starting, Eisenhuth to the bench.

You move as few pieces as possible to plug the gaps.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
It’s what Ivan has said is his main taking point from last year during origin. Minimise changes.

We’ll be better for it this time. Will we win? No idea but we’re definitely not losing by 20.

martielang

Bench
My guess is that you take stability whenever you can get it. Falls and SOS have had 9 games together as a pair. SOS and Salmon have 0.

It's the same reason why we have Chris Smith come straight in to cover Martin - our bench can remain unchanged.
If Fish or Leota were out, Eisenhuth comes straight in, rather than Sorenson starting, Eisenhuth to the bench.

Pretty short term view from the club IMO. So when Luai or Cleary go down early in a semi, we rely on a player who hasn't played 5/8th in over 2 seasons and averages about 10 mins per game? Doesn't make sense to me, you may as well run with a second rower in his place on the bench then. Great opportunity to give him a run and blow the cobwebs out and would give @Smug Panther 80mins to unfairly criticize him rather than 8.

maple_69

Bench
Absolutely the right approach. We're plugging weaker players into these positions obviously but guys that are really well versed in the role, which frees the remainder of the regular squad to do their job, ideally just at a higher level than usual. That still leaves Fish, Api, Kikau, Leota, Tago, May, Sorenson & Edwards (who are currently close to the form players in their positions outside of the Origin squads) to play to their strengths, while the Dogs best players aren't because of how flawed their side is.

I noticed we had Salmon slot into backline shifts a few times against the Cows/Storm (can't remember which) and he was atrocious. No interest in him as an NRL halves option, he's a sturdy enough edge forward for 15 minutes and can be a mediocre halves/edge plug when injuries strike. Ideally we upgrade that position when the right player emerges.

I agree with previous sentiment, this is a huge game for the club. We're slowly ticking off a heap of the question marks that have separated the Chooks/Storm and us. The next is definitely being able to performing without key guys. Building that next man up mentality which we already see emerging with Tago, May, Sorenson, Burton etc all being plugged in and exceeding expectations from day one. The last true test I think will be navigating Api's exit. If we're still a juggernaut this time next year, I'd be confident we'll be up here for many years.

Nealo 12

Bench

Salmon has been used as a bit of an edge runner when he's come on , I think the club sees he's naturally suited to that roll.

snickers007

Juniors
Pretty short term view from the club IMO. So when Luai or Cleary go down early in a semi, we rely on a player who hasn't played 5/8th in over 2 seasons and averages about 10 mins per game? Doesn't make sense to me, you may as well run with a second rower in his place on the bench then. Great opportunity to give him a run and blow the cobwebs out and would give @Smug Panther 80mins to unfairly criticize him rather than 8.

The approach you have described above is exactly what we did last year. And it was a nightmare.

Salmon's role is to be ready for anything - just like May was last year. Sometimes it will be 15mins in the middle of the game to cover a HIA, other times it will be 75mins to cover a game ending injury. If and when he's needed, he'll be ready.

Also, he's averaging 27mins this year.

Iamback

Coach
If Ivan played Falls last year like he should of he'd be 10 games in.

That said NSW Cup has been playing NRL team structure.

The right side is what concerns me

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Gee you'd think from some of the comments about Salmon, you guys must know so much more than the actual coaching staffs.

So Salmon is the flavour of June by the looks of it.