What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 15 v Knights

Munky

Coach
I wouldn't mind a designated player on a five man bench.

The player subbed out for them cannot return at any point.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't think it's purely a coincidence that the Panthers Dynasty started when this rule came into effect.

We take advantage of it both in attack and defence and do so better than any other club.

Yes we do. Also I noticed when watching the Newey game, the brains trust have worked out how to get an advantage 99% of the time with the short kick off.

This is one of the many reasons why I rate Cleary and co. Their ability to evolve with changing rules. Using the back 5 backs after kick off to rest the forwards for defence. Utterly brilliant.

Penrith appear to be above the pack in working out how to make the best use of rules changes and adaptions.

CCJohnC

Juniors
It's a better game with the 6 again.

Too many games ruined by teams slowing the game down prior to 2020.
My thoughts are that the 6 again are a major cause of the injuries we are seeing. By playing without a break puts more and more strain on the body. As far as previous slowing the game down that was up to the referee to control.

age.s

First Grade
An obvious culprit for speeding up the game in an unhealthy way is the restart from a kick for touch. Add the scrum back in and there's a 15 odd seconds rest as a reward for a savvy kick if a team needs it.

My problem with 6 again is a lot of the infringements feel pretty arbitrary, but I suppose that was true of penalties too. Captains challenge is really good imo. Saves loads of poor decision howlers and is overall great theatre.

John Hamblin

Juniors
The game is getting faster every year. This is not sustainable. One easy fix is to reduce the number of interchanges to six then eventually four. The game is better when there is more fatigue.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The game is getting faster every year. This is not sustainable. One easy fix is to reduce the number of interchanges to six then eventually four. The game is better when there is more fatigue.

I agree. I fell in love with the game where there were 2 on the bench. Blokes that had played the previous cup game. You were only interchanged for injury. Once off you didn't come back on.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I agree with this.
18th player elevated is a no brainer.
I don't like any system where coaches can fake players being injured for an interchange. That's why I think just having a bigger bench is the answer. Allow teams to carry a half and and back plus 4 forwards

Fangs

Coach
My thoughts are that the 6 again are a major cause of the injuries we are seeing. By playing without a break puts more and more strain on the body.

Injuries more than likely yes along with other things. If its about player safety then its a fair point as its a huge topic today (24 games a season, Origin plus international football isn't sustainable).

As far as previous slowing the game down that was up to the referee to control.

The Roosters won the premiership while also conceding the most penalties in the game in 2013. Those two things shouldn't go together but it was critical to their success.

You'd remember back then all the ref bullshit as well ('Wait for my whistle'...'Yep mate there's your mark'...'Captains over here please' etc). They have improved a lot in this area, especially around drop outs and quick taps. But I don't want a return to those days. I find all neutral games far more enjoyable since we moved to 6 again.

It's a better game with the 6 again.

Too many games ruined by teams slowing the game down prior to 2020.
I agree BUT,

Being retired, I watch every game, every week, multiple times and it is quite easy to see that the Storm are reverting back to the bad old days of wrestlemania.

An obvious tweak to something has happened and they just seem to be getting away with the rubbish in the tackle again. The reactions from Christian Welch whenever he gets pinged for something is telling me that he thinks he should be getting away with it for some reason or another.

Melbourne on top of the ladder again without plenty of star power most weeks, and with a bunch of mixed quality players is rather baffling.

But then again, when the AFL is going good in Sydney, the Storm inevitably goes well in Melbourne...I wonder why!

WestyLife

First Grade
I agree BUT,

Being retired, I watch every game, every week, multiple times and it is quite easy to see that the Storm are reverting back to the bad old days of wrestlemania.

An obvious tweak to something has happened and they just seem to be getting away with the rubbish in the tackle again. The reactions from Christian Welch whenever he gets pinged for something is telling me that he thinks he should be getting away with it for some reason or another.

Melbourne on top of the ladder again without plenty of star power most weeks, and with a bunch of mixed quality players is rather baffling.

But then again, when the AFL is going good in Sydney, the Storm inevitably goes well in Melbourne...I wonder why!

Every team wrestles including ours.

Every team wrestles including ours.
But nothing like the Storm.

The six again rule was created to stop the rubbish, then they added the inside 10, then they added the inside the 40 is a penalty, then they added the 3 strikes on your own line and the next is a sin bin.

It is so subjective and totally allows the referee to be somewhat bias. Where they are given on the field, what tackle they are given on, it's all relevant but the statistics just show a number nothing else.

Melbourne do it until they can't hang on anymore and give away the six again, they are reconditioning the referees IMO.

Fangs

Coach
I agree BUT,

I can't point at rubbish in the play the ball and say it's a result of the 6 again rule.

That kind of thing exists in spite of our rules. Every club wants an advantage and we aren't too bad at the wrestle either just quietly.

I'd also add that the 6 again rule wasnt just about stopping rubbish. It was mainly about having less stopages and keeping the ball in play. It's one of the key problems with union and they are just sitting on their hands watching the sport crumble in the southern hemisphere.