What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.3 v Broncos

Panther Pete

Juniors
I noticed he did a big backflip from his comments after the game. Kevie is kidding himself talking about where is the duty of care to the players when you consider he had Walsh warming up on the sideline and wanted him to go back out and play after getting stitched up and with a swollen eye socket! The fact is it was an accident. The only way Taylan could have avoided contact in that situation was to disappear.

WestyLife

First Grade
I noticed he did a big backflip from his comments after the game. Kevie is kidding himself talking about where is the duty of care to the players when you consider he had Walsh warming up on the sideline and wanted him to go back out and play after getting stitched up and with a swollen eye socket! The fact is it was an accident. The only way Taylan could have avoided contact in that situation was to disappear.

To add to this the point of running the play they did is to draw the defender at Walsh to create space. I could see it being deemed reckless with a fine or single week suspension but it was an accident during pretty normal rugby league circumstances.

Panther Pete

Juniors
To add to this the point of running the play they did is to draw the defender at Walsh to create space. I could see it being deemed reckless with a fine or single week suspension but it was an accident during pretty normal rugby league circumstances.
I suspect if Taylan had the head clash with a fringe first grader no one would care. It’s only become such a big deal because it was Reece Walsh.

I don’t know; I know it was an accident, but it was forceful contact with the head of an attacking player that left them with a facial fracture. It was careless high contact.

I am personally of a view that May is a very lucky boy not to be spending a week or two on the sidelines.

As for Walters’ contribution, he has a point but of course he is deflecting.

maple_69

Bench
i think there needs a to be a clear distinction for incidental head contact caused by aggressive defence. I don’t think May did anything wrong but I’m fine with there being consequences when you go in hot and things go south. They just need to be distinct from charges for more overtly reckless or avoidable incidents.

My preference would be a 5 minute bin be introduced. For accidental head contact and repeated minor infringements like 3 ruck offences. Having a back and forward in the squad as 18th/19th man and more easily triggered would be the other part. Ultimately the aim should be to avoid games being ruined by these incidents and keeping the consequences to the game should be part of that.

Broncos lose Walsh for the game, can activate Sailor and play against 12 for 5 mins seems like a fair outcome for an unfortunate incident caused by May defending aggressively. Avoids the post game bitching as well.

i think there needs a to be a clear distinction for incidental head contact caused by aggressive defence. I don’t think May did anything wrong but I’m fine with there being consequences when you go in hot and things go south. They just need to be distinct from charges for more overtly reckless or avoidable incidents.

My preference would be a 5 minute bin be introduced. For accidental head contact and repeated minor infringements like 3 ruck offences. Having a back and forward in the squad as 18th/19th man and more easily triggered would be the other part. Ultimately the aim should be to avoid games being ruined by these incidents and keeping the consequences to the game should be part of that.

Broncos lose Walsh for the game, can activate Sailor and play against 12 for 5 mins seems like a fair outcome for an unfortunate incident caused by May defending aggressively. Avoids the post game bitching as well.
I agree with all this until the last sentence. There will always be bitching.

mxlegend99

Referee
This high contact take IMO is such a bad take on it. Taylan hit Walsh with force body on body. Their bodies colliding and stopping in an instant caused both their heads to go forward and smash into each other and Walsh came off second best.

Head clashes happen. Taylan had one with Edwards later on. The only way a headclash should be penalised is if you lead with the head like Dylan Napa / Nate Miles used to do. Tw bodies colliding with heads clashing after that force shouldn’t be penalised or punished. Sanity prevailed though from MRC.

What Taylan did was a pretty standard attempt at shutting down an overlap in that situation. players often try to hit body on body and wrap the ball up on contact or atleast knock it down.

edit
Would be happy for these instances to activate the 18th man. But i dont believe a player should be penalised and/or binned for a headclash.

Pjf04b

Juniors
The play involving Walsh is designed to draw a defender out of the line to shut down the man with the ball. If they are both moving at speed they are going to collide. If duty of care is an issue shouldn‘t the attacking player also have to attempt to avoid the collision.

This high contact take IMO is such a bad take on it. Taylan hit Walsh with force body on body. Their bodies colliding and stopping in an instant caused both their heads to go forward and smash into each other and Walsh came off second best.

Head clashes happen. Taylan had one with Edwards later on. The only way a headclash should be penalised is if you lead with the head like Dylan Napa / Nate Miles used to do. Tw bodies colliding with heads clashing after that force shouldn’t be penalised or punished. Sanity prevailed though from MRC.

What Taylan did was a pretty standard attempt at shutting down an overlap in that situation. players often try to hit body on body and wrap the ball up on contact or atleast knock it down.

edit
Would be happy for these instances to activate the 18th man. But i dont believe a player should be penalised and/or binned for a headclash.
Agree to disagree on this one; I think defender has a responsibility not to hit the attackers head.

I do think though that your argument is a valid one (I just don’t agree). I think what would be good is for the NRL to come out and clarify what they want defenders to do in that situation. Sans outlawing the dummy from the game, unless we want the defender to jump out of the way there will be a collision in that situation. How does the NRL want that collision to happen?

In reading the comments from Payten on ‘‘tis incident, it seems like they want players to do what May did; stop the tackle and try to get into a ‘neutral’ position (my term, not his). This involved May standing up straight, which increased the risk of the head knock. The alternative is bracing yourself for the tackle and getting low, and we have seen lots of players get sanctioned for that. So it appears that is the element they are trying to remove from the game.

I would go the other way (ie get defenders to get low) but I think the NRL just needs to clarify what it is after and the reasons for it.

MugaB

Coach
It was a head clash in a contact sport. The only ones whining are Broncos supporters like Brent Read. And salty rival fans that are jealous of our success.
Brent read is a storm supporter, but he does love his origin FB

MugaB

Coach

Garbage, its 10 mins blanket rule or nothing, next itll be its not quite worthy of a 5 or a 10, lets make a 7 min bin... f**k all that, 10, keep it simple folks