What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Eels v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 20/5/22

crocodile

Bench
I dont think we have the speed out wide to pull that off unfortunately.

Maybe Waqa if 100% fit. But who else opacic isnt quick. Simmonsonn is ok but not super quick. Penisini and Gutho both have similar gears can run all day not lightning quick.

But no one else has speed to burn like say Addo-Carr. When he was at Melbourne and munster would do the chip across field in there own 20 for Addo-Carr pretty regularly.
Simmonson is actually a noted speedster. Unfortunately, we don't use it.

Pazza

First Grade
I wonder how Bailey would do as a centre. Playing wing at parra really is a bash and barge thing

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I’m still a happy man this morning. Manly were absolutely up for that last night. No chance we’d have worked our way back into it a couple of years ago. In fact, probably get 30 put on us.

I think we really miss Waqa Blake (no laughing at the back there!). He’s got plenty of speed and takes some tough runs coming out of our end.

We haven’t hit our straps yet this season and to me that’s a good thing. We’ve come out blazing the last few seasons and fallen short. It’s now time to string a couple of good results together and push up the ladder.
Up The Eels

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What do we do when the opposition is always offside or has really good linespeed

Just one out stuff?

Offloading or shifting keeps them honest.
The trick is to outlast them. They’re using up more energy getting their whole defensive line up and back at speed. You just need to get to your kick and let them wear themselves out. Eventually some defenders start to lag and that’s where their line speed becomes a staggered defensive line. That’s when you use the ball. You absolutely don’t want to be passing to a dude who gets smashed as soon as he catches it.

JokerEel

Coach
He also shot out unnecessarily when Penisini had the guy covered. He doesn’t have a feel for the game.

I am certain that no one coaches our wingers on how to defend. When Manly scored off the kick in the second half, it was the last tackle and he was standing in line with Will he needed to be back a meter or 2.

strider

Post Whore
I am certain that no one coaches our wingers on how to defend. When Manly scored off the kick in the second half, it was the last tackle and he was standing in line with Will he needed to be back a meter or 2.
You think no one instructs our wingers to rush in? They all seem to do it alot ... i reckon if they were getting no guidance they would just be holding their ground.

I think we play a compressed middle, which means space out wide, and our wingers are encouraged to try and rush in to counter the resulting overlaps ..... BUT it isnt working so well alot of the time.

But if we spread more maybe we would leak points through the middle more?

crocodile

Bench
yeh, granted, but he ran up out of the line and made a pretty bad read I thought
It turned out that way. He saw an overlap looming and tried to snuff it out. That was dumb. He should've just let the runner go around Turbo and the inside men come across. Trouble is they don't always move across leaving our wingers 2 on one. Many tries are scored against us this way. It ended up being scored anyway so buggered if you do and stuffed if you don't.

crocodile

Bench
You think no one instructs our wingers to rush in? They all seem to do it alot ... i reckon if they were getting no guidance they would just be holding their ground.

I think we play a compressed middle, which means space out wide, and our wingers are encouraged to try and rush in to counter the resulting overlaps ..... BUT it isnt working so well alot of the time.

But if we spread more maybe we would leak points through the middle more?
Exactly, the middle defenders don't move across quick enough or don't at all. Poor Fergo used to get the blame for it all the time. He's gone now and it still goes on. A lot of times the winger has no choice.

Parra

Referee
Exactly, the middle defenders don't move across quick enough or don't at all. Poor Fergo used to get the blame for it all the time. He's gone now and it still goes on. A lot of times the winger has no choice.

Players like Turbo are good enough to read this. Either way the winger looks like he's made a mistake.

yy_cheng

Coach
I feel that sides know that if they out muscle us they have a very good chance of winning. Hence they are getting offside and giving away alot of penalties in our 40

lucablight

First Grade
Just a small update.

My son ended up sending Mitch Moses a message on Instagram thanking him for converting the goal that ultimately won the game.

This morning Mitch privately responded to him.

What a champion!!!

Eels forever!!!
My condolences for your father. I wish you and your family all the very best. Very heartwarming to hear Mitchell respond to your young fella like that.

Pazza

First Grade
At this point I find it hard to blame any individual player for issues on our edges. The team has been coached to employ this up and in style of defence for years now encompassing many different players and combinations.

It can be effective but against elite edge ball players like turbo, latrell, k Bromwich, C Walker it's just too easy for them to get around. It would be nice against these sort of players to be less aggressive and slide.

Latest posts