What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Parra v Manly GAME DAY THREAD at BankWest 23/5/21

Noise

Coach
It's a really popular notion on here to lay the blame at Waqa Blake, or Dylan Brown's feet - but Paulo, and RCG were outplayed by their bench counterparts, and Arthur was the invisible man in attack.
Paulo 18 runs for 152m, 5 tackle busts 27 tackles, 4 missed
RCG 17 runs for 145m, 1 tackle bust, 23 tackles, 2 missed

Which of their bench counterparts outplayed them?

Keppie 14 runs for 124m, 3 tackle busts, 35 tackles, 10 missed
Sipley 15 runs for 121m, 4 tackles busts, 19 tackles, 1 missed

Eelementary

Post Whore

Paulo and RCG missed 7 tackles between them.

Paseka and Tapau missed 6.

Our bench missed 7 tackles - theirs missed 2.

I am surprised that Paulo and RCG's numbers were that good - the viable impact they were making was poor.

But I do agree that Moses, and Arthur's, decision-making was terrible.

We had plenty of possession, and territory, in the first half to make a game of it, and our last tackle plays were very poor.

I just don't think our pack controlled the ruck too well.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I swear
When Waqa clutches at thin air
Garrick just scored
This games going f**ked
Lucky I bet my money against us
and I swear...

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm no fan of Waqa Blake, but a few tries that were scored down that side were not his fault; Garrick's try in the second half, for instance. Blake stayed on his man, but Ferguson inexplicably came infield.
Nah, have another look mate, Waqa was sucked in by the decoy, and Fergo was left with a two on one and ten metres to defend, he went for Turbo and the intercept and missed, he was on a hiding for nothing.

That one wasn't all Waqa though, Arthurs was slow getting across and Matterson tried to solve the problem on his own by targeting Schuster, but the problem started with Arthurs and ended with Waqa's shit read.

2:43

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-eels-v-sea-eagles-1215886/

Waqa was left on the ground appealing for being taken out by his poor read,.

Noise

Coach
That's only because he comes out of the line to disrupt the attack, which often forces him into low percentage tackle attempts. It's one case of the stats not being relevant.

He has been very poor this year, in both attack and defence. Though 2/3 of his games have been since returning from injury, defending outside a teenager.

Fantasy points (because they're a solid shorthand):
2020: 24.9 per game (22 games)
2021: 13.0 per game (3 games)
He’s not doing anything different in defence this year than he was in the back half of last year.

Those fantasy point are pretty poor for both years.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I thought we made mistakes because of frustration caused by an inability to get over so we started attempting high risk plays.

na, how do you get frustrated by not even getting a chance to set up for a play.....

If we were getting frustrated we would be making stupid errors coming out of our own half which we never did.......we easily got good field position........

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

keppie started played 70 mins. 10 missed tackles, yeah if we hold the ball we get him on the edge......

Bandwagon

Staff member
na, how do you get frustrated by not even getting a chance to set up for a play.....

If we were getting frustrated we would be making stupid errors coming out of our own half which we never did.......we easily got good field position........

We definitely were getting frustrated by their goal line defence.

The fact we managed to play so much in their half and couldn't score is a lot of the reason why, not an argument against.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Nah, have another look mate, Waqa was sucked in by the decoy, and Fergo was left with a two on one and ten metres to defend, he went for Turbo and the intercept and missed, he was on a hiding for nothing.

That one wasn't all Waqa though, Arthurs was slow getting across and Matterson tried to solve the problem on his own by targeting Schuster, but the problem started with Arthurs and ended with Waqa's shit read.

2:43

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-eels-v-sea-eagles-1215886/

Waqa was left on the ground appealing for being taken out by his poor read,.

Admittedly, I only saw the game live (I haven't seen the replay yet).

Fair enough.

I agree with most of you - Waqa Blake's defence is awful.

I'd have no problems with him if he stuck to a tackle every once in a while - but he seems to both completely miss the tackle, and fall off when he makes contact.

At this stage, I'm not sure he deserves to be in our 17.

IFR33K

Coach
Admittedly, I only saw the game live (I haven't seen the replay yet).

Fair enough.

I agree with most of you - Waqa Blake's defence is awful.

I'd have no problems with him if he stuck to a tackle every once in a while - but he seems to both completely miss the tackle, and fall off when he makes contact.

At this stage, I'm not sure he deserves to be in our 17.

Or our squad of 30. He’s horrible and doesn’t even seem like he’s improving.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Or our squad of 30. He’s horrible and doesn’t even seem like he’s improving.

I thought he may make a better winger, than centre - but Ferguson (for all his flaws) is still a handy winger, and would be a better finisher than Blake, imo.

I think Waqa needs go back to NSW Cup for a few weeks to find his mojo.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We definitely were getting frustrated by their goal line defence.

The fact we managed to play so much in their half and couldn't score is a lot of the reason why, not an argument against.

na, I counted 12 stupid errors if their half which had nothing to do with their defence which didn’t allow us to build pressure like:

- RGC forward pass
- matterson offload attempt off the ground
- gutho stupid pass to the wing
- matterson stripped
- Moses stupid pass to the swinger
- Mahoney off side
- Cartwright kick
- Sivo knock on
- gutho shit short kick
- Moses had a couple of shit kicks
- Moses knock on

there were others too,......

so many lost opportunities......

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wouldn't blame Jrthur too much. His assignment was basically put on the 6 Jersey and try to look like a footy player. Such was his personal game plan tonight.
I thought Ice tried his guts out.
Tom O was strong.
Nrown did his best to inspire.
I was disappointed when Sivo was extended. His highlight reel is great but he's never stretched out in his 3 years at Parra and obviously never will. Lazy as f**k.
Talk of 're signing Fergo is hopefully just that. He has to go.
I hope fans now start to appreciate what Drown does for this team.
Why is Paulo no longer creating offloads? Very rare lately where once were plentiful.
I've been to more games than I can count as a 57 year fan and tonight was a first for me. I've never before heard our own fans screaming at the Referee for one of our players, Waqa, to be sent off.
Sitting behind the posts watching plays unfold I'm totally gobsmacked how ineffective our team is defending sweep plays to the edges. Just like the Bunnys game last year, every opposition play had success.
Moses was diabolical tonight.
Gutho left his brain in his locker.
Im glad Rheed got a 10 minute 32 second rest finally.

IFR33K

Coach
na, I counted 12 stupid errors if their half which had nothing to do with their defence which didn’t allow us to build pressure like:

- RGC forward pass
- matterson offload attempt off the ground
- gutho stupid pass to the wing
- matterson stripped
- Moses stupid pass to the swinger
- Mahoney off side
- Cartwright kick
- Sivo knock on
- gutho shit short kick
- Moses had a couple of shit kicks

there were others too,......

so many lost opportunities......