What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Parra v Tigers GAME DAY thread (23/7/20)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Geez that was another scratchy start, but the difference was from last week we took advantage of the Tigers negative play, taking the two points, when 6 points ahead with plenty of time.

That Campbell Gillard try was outstanding, started with a nice offload from Davey. That's when it all changed.

Add to that the Moses chip and chase try.

There's nothing better than seeing those two tries tonight. Old footy heads would've got out of their seats tonight.

Look overall it was a decent performance, they definitely needed a win and will have an extra couple of days to back up the next game.

RCG was outstanding once again.

I feel for Fergo not getting a try yet, we don't seem to go down that side much.

eels_fan

First Grade
Wasn’t pretty but I think some of the comments on here reading back are a bit harsh.

surface was an ice slick and the ball not much better.

moses good in his first match back

First 10mins again sloppy and slow

think the flatness at times is just an accumulation of the 5 day turnaround from a hard slog last week and a long run of tough games.

few days off now With a long 10 day prep to freshen up into a day game which will hopefully be fine/sunny and and I think our attacking spark will come back.

Crazy though that despite the win we’ll likely move down the ladder this week and end up 3rd.

eels_fan

First Grade
Oh, and RCG and Paulo are the form front rowers in the comp but still probably won’t get picked for origin as Freddy and Brandy have both said incumbency is first choice, Which to me is stupid...

I thought Fergo was outstanding - I caught him revving the team up before half time, and the way he looked after Matto was a true veteran move.

He is brilliant - and his put down for his no try was absolutely filthy.

Moses was rusty, but good - once he gets his game fitness back, he will be even better

Mahoney was outstanding - played some real heads up footy, gave crisp service, and tackled his arse off.

Harry Grant is a gun, but I wouldn't swap him for Grant, tbh - I thought Grant was flashy, but Mahoney plays a game that will get you wins.

agree with most you said there but disagree on Mahoney he had another poor game and his service from dummy half was pretty poor again. He doesn’t have much of a running game so he needs his passing game to be son song and he was off with that today. Watch Grant out there today reminded me of Cam Smith. Grant will be a great player. He is level ahead of Mahoney

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
agree with most you said there but disagree on Mahoney he had another poor game and hide service from dummy half was pretty poor again. He doesn’t have much of a running game so he needs his passing game to be son song and he was off with that today. Watch Grant out there today reminded me of Cam Smith. Grant will be a great player. He is level ahead of Mahoney

Where do you think Mahoney sits in a comparison with every 9 in the comp?

Where do you think Mahoney sits in a comparison with every 9 in the comp?

He’s behind

Smith
Friend
Korisau
Grant
Cook

he’s not even in their league to be honest. He probably mid table. Not saying he’s a terrible player but def overrated by our fans. I like his desire but needs to Inprove his running game. And tonight his passing game was poor again.

JokerEel

Coach
Can see a few players given a rest next week.

Matto wont play
Nathan Brown
Sivo

RCG & Paulo wont play long minutes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
agree with most you said there but disagree on Mahoney he had another poor game and his service from dummy half was pretty poor again. He doesn’t have much of a running game so he needs his passing game to be son song and he was off with that today. Watch Grant out there today reminded me of Cam Smith. Grant will be a great player. He is level ahead of Mahoney

I certainly rate Grant, but I don’t think Mahoney was as poor as some say.

Grant made more eye-catching plays, but Mahoney made more 1%er plays.

I think both are terrific talents.

eels_fan

First Grade
Mahoney and Grant are both leap years ahead of Friend.

I also believe Mahoney is ahead of Grant on experience, defence and kicking game.

If Grant was not on loan linked to Cam Smith he’d be getting 2% of the media attention he gets now. He offers no more than Mahoney other then a better running game.

I’d have Smith, Api, Hodgson & Cook ahead of Mahoney.

TheRam

Coach
Harry Grant was eye-catching with his attack, but I thought he was a bit lazy in defence.

Mahoney made an error, or two, but defended very well, provided crisp service, and made some great heads up plays.

Mahoney is a gun.

I don't know what game you watched but I watched a game where Grant made 57 tackles and while his pack where in the hunt was a magician around the ruck.

Mahoney started off slow, but then found his feet when we started to make space and and finished very strongly.

Split decision. They are both guns and both top notch defenders in the middle, but they should both ease up on the defense. As for with ball in hand, they play a different style of game.

He’s a lunatic. Making metres still playing 60 straight minutes. I was happy we signed him because I thought he’d add a bit of experience. I didn’t think we’d be getting one of the best middle forwards in the game. It’d be hard to leave him out of origin if he keeps these kind of performances up. In saying that though, Paulo wouldn’t look out of place either. Klemmer, RCG, Paulo and either Vaughan or Saifiti is an outstanding middle. Add Jake and Murray as smaller middles and we should absolutely dominate QLD this year.
Well you can count out Vaughn. No one talks to that merkin.

TheRam

Coach
Mahoney and Grant are both leap years ahead of Friend.

I also believe Mahoney is ahead of Grant on experience, defence and kicking game.

If Grant was not on loan linked to Cam Smith he’d be getting 2% of the media attention he gets now. He offers no more than Mahoney other then a better running game.

I’d have Smith, Api, Hodgson & Cook ahead of Mahoney.

What the hell are you watching. If Harry Grant was playing behind a pack like ours, the guy would be unstoppable. He is the best dummy half in the game bar C. Smith on form at the moment. The only reason he will probably not play SOO is because it is his rookie year.

Mahoney is also a great talent, but at this stage if I had to pick which player had the most arrows in his quiver I would have to sat Harry, But Mahoney's long pass with precision from the ruck is second to none. Those passes kill tight defense and give us a quality and consistent weapon that other teams don't have.

We need to capitalise on it more.

Did anyone notice how much better we were once we had a Laney on both sides of the ruck? It would have been very difficult for the defence to number up.

IFR33K

Coach
I thought Fergo was outstanding - I caught him revving the team up before half time, and the way he looked after Matto was a true veteran move.

He is brilliant - and his put down for his no try was absolutely filthy.

Moses was rusty, but good - once he gets his game fitness back, he will be even better

Mahoney was outstanding - played some real heads up footy, gave crisp service, and tackled his arse off.

Harry Grant is a gun, but I wouldn't swap him for Grant, tbh - I thought Grant was flashy, but Mahoney plays a game that will get you wins.

sorry mate, not being critical of fergo as he may still be hampered by injury, but I thought a lot of his hit ups he was just going thru the motions.

As for grant vs reed, I’d take grant in a heartbeat. He was really troubling us in the first half and the reason they jumped to a lead. Good defence, excellent service and a great running game. A lot of balls from reed didn’t find the mark last night.