What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd15 2024: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium June 15th

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep there are plenty of teams crippled with injury. Roosters were missing a bunch players last night too - Smith, Sualii and Young.
'Crippled' is obviously subjective. It implies you've lost players who are impossible to replace.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you would suggest a short drop out aimed towards the best centre in game and a known great catcher (Crighton last week) is the way to go?
See I would say kick the short drop outs to Brosnon Xerri.
The thing about short dropouts is that they are a set play, and teams practice to optimise their own personnel. So they do what will give them the best returns over the largest spread of opponents. Once you start worrying about what the opposition can/will do you are moving away from focusing on your own strengths. So sure Xerri isn't as good in the air as Crichton, but choosing to kick to Xerri means we are now kicking away from our own preferred side. This is why teams "focus on their own game". It's a cliche but repetition in training maximises your execution under pressure.
I would also put up bombs to our best catchers or tallest players. That beeing LANE and Matterson.
I would not force a line drop out with 40 seconds to go in the half. May as well gamble and run it.
I would not go for a field goal for a 3 point lead either.
But I'm just a simple IDOT
I would also make great decisions under pressure from the comfort of my keyboard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What would you know Hindy, you aren’t from Perth. same as what would Brandy know. He’s a dick but he rightly called that our kick chase is garbage and we leak points that way. But what would he know, he doesn’t know how to read stats…
I'm from Perth and love stats but I agree our effort areas are poor, including our kick chase.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So I rewatched the 2nd half making a point to record Moses’ involvement as he seems to be copping it. Whilst I thought he didn’t set the world on fire, I didn’t think he was too bad.

My overall observation was that we predominantly went left and gave Drown more good ball (rightly so as he played well in the second half).

For what it’s worth, here is the record I made of our sets in attack:

1st: Moses involved in 4th tackle sweep. Drown ends up scoring in this set

2nd: Moses passes in a 2nd tackle shift. We receive a penalty.

3rd: Passes for a 3rd tackle shift. Also shifts out to Penisini in space off a Paulo offload.

4th: Involved in a 4th tackle shift. Last tackle attacking kick average as it was not deep enough.

5th: Helped out at dummy half for two plays. Good long kick on last is caught on their 10m line.

6th: Lussick on 🤮. Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Shifted on the last and then ends up with the ball again. Very good grubber should have pinned Roosters in goal but shithouse chase meant they made metres.

7th: Dummy half on the 2nd. Good long kick caught on 10m line.

8th: Doesn’t touch the ball. We were dominated rucking it out and didn’t make the 30m line. Excellent long kick gets us out of trouble and is caught on 20m line.

9th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. 4th tackle short ball to Carty, then receives offload, runs the ball and then passes long which finds ground that we end up knocking on. **First poor contribution from Moses**

10th: Not involved as we were trucking it out from our own 10m. We drop the ball on the 4th.

11th: Rucking it out again but we receive a penalty.

12th: Ineffective inside ball to Carty on the 4th. Decides to run it on the last and throws a hospital ball to Drown who is caught on the last. **second poor contribution from Moses**

13th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Also involved in 4th tackle shift that was ineffective. Very good attacking kick on the last that should have resulted in a drop out but Asi gets a touch on it for a knock on.

14th: We drop the ball on the 2nd.

15th: Involved in a 3rd tackle shift which results in good metres. Starts 4th tackle shift which also results in good metres. Throws a ball on the last creating space for Penisini which almost results in Blaize scoring.

So there you have it. Two poor options but not exactly terrible across 40minutes.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
So I rewatched the 2nd half making a point to record Moses’ involvement as he seems to be copping it. Whilst I thought he didn’t set the world on fire, I didn’t think he was too bad.

My overall observation was that we predominantly went left and gave Drown more good ball (rightly so as he played well in the second half).

For what it’s worth, here is the record I made of our sets in attack:

1st: Moses involved in 4th tackle sweep. Drown ends up scoring in this set

2nd: Moses passes in a 2nd tackle shift. We receive a penalty.

3rd: Passes for a 3rd tackle shift. Also shifts out to Penisini in space off a Paulo offload.

4th: Involved in a 4th tackle shift. Last tackle attacking kick average as it was not deep enough.

5th: Helped out at dummy half for two plays. Good long kick on last is caught on their 10m line.

6th: Lussick on 🤮. Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Shifted on the last and then ends up with the ball again. Very good grubber should have pinned Roosters in goal but shithouse chase meant they made metres.

7th: Dummy half on the 2nd. Good long kick caught on 10m line.

8th: Doesn’t touch the ball. We were dominated rucking it out and didn’t make the 30m line. Excellent long kick gets us out of trouble and is causing on 20m line.

9th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. 4th tackle short ball to Carty, then receives offload, runs the ball and then passes long which finds ground that we end up knocking on. **First poor contribution from Moses**

10th: Not involved as we were trucking it out from our own 10m. We drop the ball on the 4th.

11th: Rucking it out again but we receive a penalty.

12th: Ineffective inside ball to Carty on the 4th. Decides to run it on the last and throws a hospital ball to Drown who is caught on the last. **second poor contribution from Moses**

13th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Also involved in 4th tackle shift that was ineffective. Very good attacking kick on the last that should have resulted in a drop out but Asi gets a touch on it for a knock on.

14th: We drop the ball on the 2nd.

15th: Involved in a 3rd tackle shift which results in good metres. Starts 4th tackle shift which also results in good metres. Throws a ball on the last creating space for Penisini which almost results in Blaize scoring.

So there you have it. Two poor options but not exactly terrible across 40minutes.
Sorry buddy I stopped reading after Lussick.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
A lot of clubs have struggled with injuries this year but coped much better. Depth is critical.

New coach needs to work with the club to ensure our recruitment and development pathways improve.
No argument about depth. Completely agree. Not sure if any other team is yet to field a full strength side though. It’s been tough going. Regardless, agree with your points.

I didn't though, if I did the show ignored content disappears. It's also showing just that one post, and not the post right before it if I do click ignore showed content.
I believe Pou added that text in his "signature" during a recent tanty, so he can continue to educate us merkins about resources and luck, lol.

But going by your screen shot, his signature text will seem to always show under his posts - even though the "ignored" post content is hidden.

Parra Pride

Referee
I believe Pou added that text in his "signature" during a recent tanty, so he can continue to educate us merkins about resources and luck, lol.

But going by your screen shot, his signature text will seem to always show under his posts - even though the "ignored" post content is hidden.
It's literally just that one post though that has cracked the code though.