What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd15: Parra v Storm GAME DAY thread (20/8/20)

Delboy

First Grade
After reading all these comments about how bad we were etc, at the game it was completely different. Storm play to a very rigid structure which saw them belt the Roosters last week, the played much the same tonight, fast, hard and direct with some grubby tactics as usual.

so embedded Is the game plan Under Bellyache that nothing much changes except some extra good touches from better players, but they play tough. BA said it’s been all defence at training for the most part as he wants to be able to defend for long minutes, but they will turn their attention to attack in the coming period.

Hindy will literally wet himself if the Riff win tomorrow, but it’s a marathon season not a sprint, if we are still in the top 4 on dry grounds we can give it a shake. Our poor games have been in the wet or on a slippery field, let’s wait and see when the ground firms up.

Certainly was a tough game from the stands, you can hear Contact and see things the tv doesn’t show, and you don’t have to listen to the biased Alexander and others plying their agenda.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
BA was asked whether our players were staying down in tackles looking for the penalty... he said no.
Meantime Bellyache "I don't agree with Brad on that."
Sook.
I agree with Craig. Its what we do.

Arthurs must have learnt it from somewhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Seriously, is there some kind of hate against Parramatta by those blokes or has their IQ dropped?

I thought our game was much better but you can tell there was a lot of work in defence which is important going into these sort of games.

Yes the attack was clunky at times but seemed better than last week, I think they need to improve on not pushing the pass too much.

I don't care how much Parramatta won by tonight, they kept them to nil, they have 7 days to prepare for another tough hit out, ok Souths aren't travelling too well but don't underestimate them, theyre desperate for a spot in the 8.

Well done to the boys. Keep it up.
We made five line breaks. Only our impatience and Melbourne's great scramble kept it close. We would've smashed plenty of teams with that performance.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I thought our attack whilst a little clunky, showed some improvement. It looked like we were very deliberately looking to up the tempo of our game, more bodies in motion, more speed , quicker hands, we just didn't execute at speed as well as we should have.

I also think the width of passes and side line to side line play wasn't a lack of patience, but was a very deliberate tactic to keep the Storm pack moving around, again execution let us down, but it aint the disaster some here are making out.

If our attack is to improve it isn't gonna "click" at training, and it isn't gonna just switch on for a game, it's gotta be done in the game, and under real defensive pressure, over a number of games. The way I see it, if there was a game to play around in attack and start lifting towards the finals it was this one.

We were fortunate enough to face a squad that's still gonna be well drilled in their defensive structures, but less able to capitalise on our errors due to a lack real strike with the outs they had, particularly in the spine.

I'm pretty comfortable with where we are at, with five games to go, when you look at the draw, we aren't likely to overtake the Panthers, but we can afford to drop a coupla games and still finish top four. The Roosters still have to play the Raiders, Knights, Sharks and Bunnies, which means there's four losses locked in for the teams we are competing with for a spot, Souths also play the Storm, and the Raiders play the Sharks, so there's another two loses locked in amongst those sides. We could quite easily get pushed down to fourth, but would have to shit the bed from here to get pushed down to fifth, so we have a fair bit of leeway to try it on a bit with our attack looking to build into the semis.

dazeely

First Grade
17 runs for 169m. Harsh mate.

He has been off for weeks now compared to previous form (yes so have others). Stat's are a good indicator but not everything. Dropped in intensity and making some uncharacteristic errors. I'm not saying dropped but benched. Note: will depend on mrc re Niukore.

We played expansive, we rotated our bench and we kept them to 0.

Considering our last 6 weeks or so, and considering you should always be looking to build towards the finals, it was a good game and very much a step in the right direction.

If we play like that again we will beat the Rabbitohs, and if we play like that the week after we will flog the Warriors. Then it will be time for a real game against Penrith.

hindy111

Post Whore
100% correct.
Too lateral and not enough straight running which keeps the opposition guessing.
Pushing the pass far too often.
Plus his aerial kicking game for Fergo is sooo far off. Need to get that right as Fergo cant catch and plant the ball over the line from 10m out.

Playing garbage. A good kick lands 1-3mrrs out from try line. It makes the opposition contest it and potential to force an error. 3 x yesterday they landed more then 10mtrs out. These where all from close range. The opposition just waits and lines Fergo up and hammers him as soon as feet touch the ground.

He is also just running sideways to Materrson. Needs to work the middle more and make use of our big forwards. And come up with big plays occasionally.
40/20s etc.
Moses looked like he would take Cleary NSW spot or contest it at start of the season. One has getting closer to elite level while the other has gone 2 steps back.

hindy111

Post Whore
After reading all these comments about how bad we were etc, at the game it was completely different. Storm play to a very rigid structure which saw them belt the Roosters last week, the played much the same tonight, fast, hard and direct with some grubby tactics as usual.

so embedded Is the game plan Under Bellyache that nothing much changes except some extra good touches from better players, but they play tough. BA said it’s been all defence at training for the most part as he wants to be able to defend for long minutes, but they will turn their attention to attack in the coming period.

Hindy will literally wet himself if the Riff win tomorrow, but it’s a marathon season not a sprint, if we are still in the top 4 on dry grounds we can give it a shake. Our poor games have been in the wet or on a slippery field, let’s wait and see when the ground firms up.

Certainly was a tough game from the stands, you can hear Contact and see things the tv doesn’t show, and you don’t have to listen to the biased Alexander and others plying their agenda.

I think our team is potentialy best in comp. I don't think we need to play exciting expansive footy. Not the side. We need to run hard and straight and wear the opposition down. That is how we win it imo.
We have a huge side. Big and powerful. Add a bench that hits hard and also powerful.Spread the ball in the last 20.

Last night we had plenty of chances to go from 14 to 20 nil. But we panicked or pushed the pass.
Had we got to 20 it breaks the Storms back. Takes little effort then to go sneak in 2 more tries and its 32-0. In the end you go they ran away with it and its a belting.
Genuinely think had MJ scored that try we drop another 2. We kept letting them in the game and didn't mentaly break them.

Penrith are like a robot. They lack the grit and experience of our side. But they stick to a plan and Nathan will kick you to death. Unsure who fires up in the finals and bashes players. But they do have some x factors like Kikau.
Rooster if reasonably fit along with the Storm still seem a step above everyone. They have bruisers and x factors along with experience.

Canberra are sneaking under the radar. Yes they lost Hodgson but the sqads getting fitter. They are a great chance of top 4. I wouldn't want to get them in finals. They worry me. I get feeling they are one side who will go up a level in finals. Losing a GF like they did leaves a hangover. They are slowly getting over it and in a good position ladder wise.

Latest posts