What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

emjaycee

Coach
It's impossible to know what they thought. But we were rated the fifth most likely, in simple terms. I think the most reasonable assumption is that 'plenty' of bookies thought we could win.
In any case, pointing out that we were about fifth favourite isn't much of a counter to the claim that plenty in the media tipped us to win.
I always thought it was done like...
"Write down who you think will win"
"Ok, so if not Penrith then who?"
"Right, so if not Penrith and not Melbourne, who?"
etc.
etc.

And we were the 5th name written down.

I always thought it was done like...
"Write down who you think will win"
"Ok, so if not Penrith then who?"
"Right, so if not Penrith and not Melbourne, who?"
etc.
etc.

And we were the 5th name written down.
We were an above average chance of winning. I think plenty of bookies would have tipped us to win if such a poll had happened. The fact we were only about double the price of the favourite strongly suggests this.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We were an above average chance of winning. I think plenty of bookies would have tipped us to win if such a poll had happened. The fact we were only about double the price of the favourite strongly suggests this.
Only a small portion of people tipped us from what I can see, but given there are a shitload of people tipping then technically a small percentage of a shitload can still amount to "plenty".

I think you'll find they were closer to 3 times the price of the favourite.

Eelementary

Post Whore
1) Individual player attitude
2) Lack of leadership both on and off the field
3) Inability of the coach to develop a Plan B
4) Lack of attention to detail in either planning or execution of defensive patterns
5) Lack of speed in a number of key positions
6) Lack of killer instinct
7) Lack of self-belief when behind on the scoreboard by more than 12 points
8) Lack of depth in key positions resulting in overplaying spine players despite drop in form

Probably some more I can think of but is that enough for now?

Great post.

However, most of those points are issues that the Head Coach should be responsible for addressing, and has not...

Only a small portion of people tipped us from what I can see, but given there are a shitload of people tipping then technically a small percentage of a shitload can still amount to "plenty".

I think you'll find they were closer to 3 times the price of the favourite.
I think plenty is fine not just in absolute terms but relative. In relative terms it's less accurate but I saw the Panthers at 5.5 and Storm at 6.5, so us at 13 is about double.

strider

Post Whore
Apologist my arse. They just aren't the team people think they are. They need a bit of a rebuild to take out a premiership again. Currently a bottom of the 8 team at best.
They have 6 current State of Origin 2 squad members and 2 NZ internationals

Yeah they are not as strong as they were a few years ago, but they are still stacked

IFR33K

Coach
Sorry MJC, I think IFR33K has got a point here. If we can beat those top 2 teams and we can't be consistent enough to beat the lesser teams (I don't consider Souths a lesser team) then there are no excuses. It's a mental thing, and that's on the coach. He doesn't have the intellect to get them up for the games they should win.

And his tactics and bench rotations are inconsistent and f**king terrible respectively.

His tactics and use of bench are a disgrace. And if theres attitude issues amongst the players that’s also on the coach. It’s his team. He’s been here on 10 years and we’re still chasing our tails.

and if the issue is lack of leadership, we need to ask why? I’m saying the leadership is lacking from the top. The coach.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Great post.

However, most of those points are issues that the Head Coach should be responsible for addressing, and has not...
I'd say the coach, the players and the club all have responsibilities and accountabilities.

By all means get rid of BA. He's had his chance. But it wont be a silver bullet - a new coach will need others pulling their weight if we are to be successful.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
His tactics and use of bench are a disgrace. And if theres attitude issues amongst the players that’s also on the coach. It’s his team. He’s been here on 10 years and we’re still chasing our tails.

and if the issue is lack of leadership, we need to ask why? I’m saying the leadership is lacking from the top. The coach.
Lack of leadership goes higher than the coach (i.e. to the actual top).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think plenty is fine not just in absolute terms but relative. In relative terms it's less accurate but I saw the Panthers at 5.5 and Storm at 6.5, so us at 13 is about double.
I thought I saw Penrith closer to $4 but that might have been later in the season...or maybe I read it after I had plenty of beers.