What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: 8pm EELS v Broncos GAME DAY THREAD @ TIO Stadium - Darwin 21/4/23

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With all due respect... that's a pretty shitty position, that no stats will ever serve to prove.

Why do you need to keep agressively stating versions of the same position every week, in multiple threads, using selective and often tangential stats as support for what really underneath is just your opinion - no different or better than any other merkin's opinion on here? And why do you get so tangled up whenever anyone questions your opinion...
If it bothers you so much why don't you open up in the mental health thread? I'm just concerned for you mate. You know me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’ll try and understand their motivations, at least initially with you mate. I don’t think people come here to be lectured or to have their opinion made to feel menial (which I don’t necessarily agree is your intention); they are here to vent.

They’re here to vent after we’ve played like shit. They’re here to vent after they’ve spent their hard earned and been disappointed. They’re here to have their emotions known and not expose them to their loved ones. They’re upset we haven’t tasted glory in nearly forty years.

Some healthy discussion and seeing others standpoints IS GOOD. I mean, it’s synonymous with an online forum. You put people together and there’s always going to be differing viewpoints.

This said, there’s a time and a place. Your staunch defence for the club is admirable but know that some people just like getting things off their chest. They aren’t always up for a debate.
A reasonable position, and one I already understood. But you have explained it pretty well. If my own motivation is unclear, you must know that when merkins vent I feel like they are kicking my club when it's down. If you don't look at their user names and just read the content it looks like any rival troll who comes in here to laugh at us and put the boot in.

the phantom menace

First Grade
If it bothers you so much why don't you open up in the mental health thread? I'm just concerned for you mate. You know me.
Kid Fail GIF by MOODMAN

No bother... just replying to/disagreeing with your post.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just watching Hodgson's stint again and he does fine until the miss on Mam for their try in 24th minute. Watching that try again and RCG makes the gap falling for the dummy and not trusting Russell? It wasn't all Hodgson as it appeared to me watching live. He had slipped off a coupla tackles but had come again to complete, and made a coupla important tackles in cover after change overs, one on Capewell ( with Moses ) after the early strip, which likely stopped a try, and one on Farnworth after Moses runs on the last he cleans up after a miss, if Farnworth gains his feet there he's off as he's through the line.

His service was fine, was bringing the forwards onto the ball, he got caught poorly and burned a tackle once whilst in attack, but generally decision making was good

What I think we're missing though is Rheed's workrate in the middle, whilst Rheed isn't the greatest in first up contact, he makes contact enough to slow the ball carrier, and it took a lot work off our other forwards in defence, Hodgson's involvement is way lower and we're struggling to compensate. Between the 24th minute and the 31st where he was subbed, he made two maybe three tackles, and had two poor misses for first up contact ( one on Hass so kinda forgivable ). Donkeys had most of the ball in that period, so it's not like there wasn't plenty of opportunity to pad out his defensive stats.

I reckon he's still got plenty to offer us, and given his time out of the game and the nature of his injury, he'll still likely improve as the season rolls on. He's just not ever going to offer us big minutes, and that means we'll have to burn an interchange or two in order to carry him in the seventeen. That's not a big problem in and of itself, lots of teams do it, but the problem there is with Hands replacing him it's not a tactical interchange to up the tempo or offer some other point of difference, it's really just more of the same with a fitter bloke who hasn't got as much craft in his game, replacing a bloke who's tired.

Calls to drop him are way premature, he 'aint gaining anything from NSW cup other than a bit of a rest in a lower standard game, and replacing him with the likes of Jake to do 20-30 would be just dumb. Regardless Hodgson's a far superior option at Dummy half, same with Rein.

On the game we didn't lose it because of Hodgson, we lost it with errors with the ball in hand giving ourselves too much work in D, again around 30th minute one of the commentators mentions we'd had 36% of the ball, and that was all down to completion rates, we gave them cheap ball, and they gave us f**k all. In those conditions with that kinda possession it's no f**king surprise our middle opened up.

yy_cheng

Coach
Hodgo engaged the markers really well for a forward hitup but sometimes when it goes out to the backs he doesn't hit the sweet spot that mahoneys services have which was alot of times right in front of the half

Hodges passes sometimes requires the halves to jump to catch the ball so slows the play down

Dyl has to run on the ball. He is standing more or less flat footed. If you have ever seen kenny plays he's always running into a sterlo ball. So the defense thinks he's gonna run so holds up in the middle

I rewatched the game and mises is flat and moving sideways and he gives it to dyl who is flat and running sideways and eventually the outside backs have no room

strider

Post Whore
In that first game i thought hodgos passes were not sticking cos they were too far infront often, particularly our halves .... but i actually thought it might be a good thing, cos it would make our halves move forward onto the ball more and straighten up ... cos i think alot of our backline spreads are rubbish cos the halves go sideways too much and dont turn the defenders in. ...... but it seems it never helped change things. Instead the passes now go out the back if anything

Bandwagon

Staff member
Hodgo engaged the markers really well for a forward hitup but sometimes when it goes out to the backs he doesn't hit the sweet spot that mahoneys services have which was alot of times right in front of the half

Hodges passes sometimes requires the halves to jump to catch the ball so slows the play down

Dyl has to run on the ball. He is standing more or less flat footed. If you have ever seen kenny plays he's always running into a sterlo ball. So the defense thinks he's gonna run so holds up in the middle

I rewatched the game and mises is flat and moving sideways and he gives it to dyl who is flat and running sideways and eventually the outside backs have no room

Yeah, Hodgson has great soft hands for the shorter pass, but he doesn't consistently have that bullet that get's the first receiver wide and right on the front foot, at least not that he's shown anyways.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Listening to TCTs post Knights game podcast with Michael Buttner. Interesting comment from him when asked his view of the Payne Hass hip drop/ non penalty/sin bin. Buttner touched on experienced referees being required for such bunker appointments.
Its worth noting the Bunker person for that game was Miss "Look at me" Kasey Badger.
Buttners interview was very enjoyable and enlightening. Definitely worth a listen.

strider

Post Whore
Listening to TCTs post Knights game podcast with Michael Buttner. Interesting comment from him when asked his view of the Payne Hass hip drop/ non penalty/sin bin. Buttner touched on experienced referees being required for such bunker appointments.
Its worth noting the Bunker person for that game was Miss "Look at me" Kasey Badger.
Buttners interview was very enjoyable and enlightening. Definitely worth a listen.
Quotas

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Scraping the barrel trying to find someone critical of Kasey Badger. If Buettner was a current first grader he would be destroyed by merkins on here. He was derp personified.

Love how you called him “Buttner” as well. I like big butts and I cannot lie!

JokerEel

Coach
Scraping the barrel trying to find someone critical of Kasey Badger. If Buettner was a current first grader he would be destroyed by merkins on here. He was derp personified.

Love how you called him “Buttner” as well. I like big butts and I cannot lie!

I think there are alot critical of Casey in the Bunker...
She is doing well in the NSW cup game right now.

Buettnet was great for us in 01 but apart from that he was an average first grader.

yy_cheng

Coach
Does the bunker make the call for the sin bin?

I wouldve thought the bunker just gives the information as to what happened and the main ref decides the punishment.

Just like the touch judge calls out or offside and the ref gives the penalty or not

Bandwagon

Staff member
Does the bunker make the call for the sin bin?

I wouldve thought the bunker just gives the information as to what happened and the main ref decides the punishment.

Just like the touch judge calls out or offside and the ref gives the penalty or not

In that case it wouldn't matter, hip drop = sin bin, it's not negotiable under current policy, so as soon as they call yep penalty, hip drop, it's off to the bin.

Hence no penalty, didn't want to be responsible for the Donkeys being down to 11 men.

Latest posts