What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistically where are we at?

antonius

Coach
I watched todays game and came away more convinced than ever that we don't have the players to threaten any more. We had (minus Kidley, and Abes) what amounts to our best team out there today and came away outplayed in every department, the side just doesn't have that spark any more, and if evidence that we need to go into the player market was ever needed it showed today. Matt Gidley is fast dropping down the list of quality centres, Carmont shouldn't even be in the centres, and our wingers just don't have the pace or class. Thaiday may turn out to be the goods there but Quinn, and Hall are not the answer. We need another quality forward as well. Basically we've relied on the old guard, and fringe first graders for too long, sorry to be so gloomy about it, but that's just the way I see it.

IanG

Coach
Nah I have to agree with you Tony. I'm just starting to wonder who you think the club should be chasing after. This is what has resulted in letting too many players go over the last 3 years.

cram

Bench
We are really not going anywhere fast. On top of that you have the reality, well we all knew it, about the clubs finances and inability to run a professional club coming to the fore.

We can compete for a short time but not over 80minutes. Johns, a champion, is fading into a shadow of his former great self and like Barry Toohey said he made some ordinary players look good in the past.

The only positives, for the long term, that I can see is that our Flegg and Premier League side have performed well this season despite the injuries to first grade.

We are in a rebuilding phase, I can accept that, but I doubt we have the capacity to rebuild when we have poor management and no money.

I dont believe that Constantine is the answer, in fact I would hate to see him gain control of the club, however, if Wests dont come on board I dont know what options we will have.

So realistically where are we at? Well we are in big trouble.

Ben

Bench
Tony, I have to disagree with you. I would love to buy King, Cayless and any other quality first grader but it simply won't happen. He should head into the player market and attempt to purchase a couple of key signings but i certainly do not see one player that would be wanting to come to a club where their career will be jeopardised by injuries and successive losses. The club has to do its best with the players we have know and turn these fringe firstgrade players into quality firstgraders. Gidley is probably past his due by date but he is the exactly the type of person we need in the young backline. He had a reasonably good game today today and seemed to be suffering from a groin injury. He is a player that stands up and carts the ball up taking some of the load off the forwards.

antonius

Coach
ben said:
Tony, I have to disagree with you. I would love to buy King, Cayless and any other quality first grader but it simply won't happen. He should head into the player market and attempt to purchase a couple of key signings but i certainly do not see one player that would be wanting to come to a club where their career will be jeopardised by injuries and successive losses. The club has to do its best with the players we have know and turn these fringe firstgrade players into quality firstgraders. Gidley is probably past his due by date but he is the exactly the type of person we need in the young backline. He had a reasonably good game today today and seemed to be suffering from a groin injury. He is a player that stands up and carts the ball up taking some of the load off the forwards.

So what are you disagreeing with? Your saying we should head into the player market!! That's what I'm saying. If we don't then we are at a standstill now and it will only get worse. We have no players coming back that will drastically change what we saw today. So I'm saying we are no longer in a position to compete effectively unless we go shopping. Your post suggest that far from disagreeing you are agreeing, what you are saying is we wont attract anyone here.

Alex28

Coach
1. Seage
2. Thaiday
3. Tighe
4. (maybe Kidley but I'm not convinced)
6. Mullen
7. Johns
9. Buderus
11. Simpson
12. Snowden
13. Newton

14. Abraham (?)
15. Reynoldsen (lets face it - we are stuck with him)

That is a list of players who I consider have had a pretty good season and where they should play in 2006. We badly need:

* a class back
* 2 decent front rowers - one who we can rely on as a leader of the forwards
* a utility player who can be relied on to fill in for both a forwards and backs position.

Lots of gaps to fill besides with the usual list of passengers who fill the player roster every year who are good blokes but just not up to NRL standard...

macavity

Referee
6. Mullen (with an offseason of training)
7. Johns
9. Buderus
11. Simpson
12. Newton

14. Abraham
15. Reynoldson
16. Woolnough
17. Kidley

If we are going on who would be there for us to be premiership material, that is what we have got.

few gaps fellas.

Just ask yourselves who on our roster would make the 17 of the Broncos. The Cowboys? The Roosters?

... the Eels?

The boys are trying hard. They just cant go for 40mins let alone 80. They also seem to have butter on their fingers.

Why?

How do we fix it?

That is about where we are. Because even if we knew how to fix it, do we have the money, or the people, to do so?

so many questions.

no answers on the horizon.

knights_maniac

Juniors
Alex28 said:
1. Seage
2. Thaiday
3. Tighe
6. Mullen
7. Johns
9. Buderus
11. Simpson
12. Snowden
13. Newton

14. Abraham (?)

That is a list of players who I consider have had a pretty good season and where they should play in 2006. We badly need:

* a class back
* a utility player who can be relied on to fill in for both a forwards and backs position.

Lots of gaps to fill besides with the usual list of passengers who fill the player roster every year who are good blokes but just not up to NRL standard...

hehe Reynoldson...what a DUD buy...

Earl

Coach
Hahaha Reynoldson.

Jarrod Mullen has been great. He sh*ts all over Kidley. (Who should play lock, cause all he does is tackle).

Stranger

Coach
Jarrod Mullen has been great. He sh*ts all over Kidley. (Who should play lock, cause all he does is tackle).

:lol: Even other teams fans can see things that the management cant...

RABK

Referee
Alex28 said:
1. Seage
2. Thaiday
3. Tighe
6. Mullen
7. Johns
9. Buderus
11. Simpson
12. Snowden
13. Newton

14. Abraham (?)

* a class back

I agree.

Geez i'd love to sign King and Mason.

RABK

Referee
1. Seage
2. Thaiday
3. Tighe
4. King
5. Cooper
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Smith
9. Buderus
10. Cayless
11. Simpson
12. Abraham
13. Newton

14. Snowden
15. Reynoldson
16. Woolnough
17. Brown

IMO a releastic team....

Stranger

Coach
Realistically? We are f**ked!.

A Coach that can tell skill by the amount they are being paid off a contract and a team without a conditioner with tonnes of injuries every week.... so really they chance of getting hurt is x100 by playing for the knights!

Johns Magic

Referee
1. Seage
2. Thaiday
3. Tighe
4. King
5. Cooper
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Newton
9. Buderus
10. Mason
11. Simpson
12. Abraham
13. Reynoldson

14. Snowden
15. Tolar
16. Woolnough
17. Brown

We NEED a gamebreaker like Mason. In today's game I was just waiting for a forward to smash someone in defence or attack to rile the boys up. It didn't happen.

Last year BK would pump the boys up. This yer there's no one. Go all out for Mason I say.
Cayless is a workhorse in the mould of all our other forwards. We need someone special, and I don't think he'll do the job.

RABK

Referee
We need $700,000 to get King and Mason....

Get rid of Perry. Hughes, Price, Tanner and Witt and we've got it.

LISTEN TO US MANAGEMENT!!!

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
I watched todays game and came away more convinced than ever that we don't have the players to threaten any more. We had (minus Kidley, and Abes) what amounts to our best team out there today and came away outplayed in every department, the side just doesn't have that spark any more,

As I said in another thread, I think the issue is that we're consistently there and thereabouts, but never actually winning anything. Explain to me why we're within a couple of points of the Dragons, but are thumped by Souths, why we put 10-0 on the Broncos, then get beaten by 18, why we consistently get within 4-6 of our opposition, but still can't crack it for a win. Even winning 50% of those close games would have us with three or maybe four wins. That's where we should be, but we're not. Why?

The only answer is: fitness. It's no surprise to me that every week we seem to be competitive at the same stages of each game -- the first 30 minutes of the first half, and the first 20 minutes of the second. Occassionally they change it up a bit, and play well in other segements, but the eventual result is:

1. A loss
2. A 20 to 30 minute window for the opposition to score. And don't the opposition know it......

Ben

Bench
Carl Webb wouldve been a great buy. I even thought he had signed when he was talking up the deal. Then he jumped ship and went to the cowboys. Then again, we probably wouldnt be able to turn the player into the type graham murray has turned webb into.

Latest posts