What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend some music!

Jethro Tull, The Guess Who, Bad Company, Cream, Doobie Brothers, Free, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Small Faces, Steppenwolf, T. Rex

Highly recommend Jethro Tull. Every album is a classic (and the cover of the LP version of "Too Old to Rock & Roll, Too Young to Die" is brilliant).

Would also recommend The Stranglers - a UK punk outfit (preceded The Sex Pistols) and much better in my opinion. Heaps of variety in their discology (compare the gritty 'Peaches' and 'No More Heroes' with 'Golden Brown', 'Skin Deep', 'Strange Little Girl' and the seriously weird 'Waltzinblack').

Azkatro

First Grade
I'd love to hear the names of some other bands/albums for a bit of variety to listen to. I'm into old school rock, led zeppelin, black sabbath, deep purple, guns n roses, acdc, eagles, dire straits, pink floyd, so on and so forth...:music1:

Not having grown up anywhere near that era, i obviously don't have a great deal of knowledge of other similar bands from around this era. So i suppose this thread could be used for anyone wanting to hear some alternative music that would usually go unnoticed. ;-)

So, any recommendations? :D :D
Get your hands on The Who - Live at Leeds, Deluxe edition. I can assure you that will get a few spins in the car.

braz

Juniors
The Sword
Nostradameus

Two very good bands.

The Sword are very good. However they would not be my pick in in stoner metal. Heaps more cooler bans IMO.

Metallica have taken the Sword on tour so they are bound to get a lot bigger profile now.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Edguy (newer stuff is more rockier - Hellfire Club (2004) and beyond)
Lordi
Hardcore Superstar
Sahg

... and obviously Iron Maiden, if that wasn't obvious enough.

sydraider

First Grade
RATT are awesome and still produce it live to this day, De Martini is a seriously underated guitarist. Out of the cellar and Dancing undercover are two great rock albums.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Sword are very good. However they would not be my pick in in stoner metal. Heaps more cooler bans IMO.

Metallica have taken the Sword on tour so they are bound to get a lot bigger profile now.

I don't understand how people can even call them "stoner metal". They're just a great old-fashioned throwback to Sabbath.

braz

Juniors
I don't understand how people can even call them "stoner metal". They're just a great old-fashioned throwback to Sabbath.

Not sure what you mean - the whole stoner rock/metal genre essentially borrows from black sabbath.

So to say they aren't stoner but sound like black sabbath is a contradiction in terms.

braz

Juniors
Listen to old Kyuss or Fumanchu, I hear sabbath all day, just with a lot of fuzz lol.

Now you're talking champ.

Kyuss are in my top 5 bands all time. Absolute epic band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4A2iGgQQk

John Garcia's bands after Kyuss are awesome too (Hermano, Slo Burn, Unida)

Clutch, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Nebula so many awesome bands.

Australia had a good stoner scene about 10 years ago when I was in a band but it seems to have quietened down a lot.