What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend some music!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
RATT are awesome and still produce it live to this day, De Martini is a seriously underated guitarist. Out of the cellar and Dancing undercover are two great rock albums.

Thank you!:D

Invasion though is their best album imo, just amazing sound, structure everything with them on top of the world, love seeing them in vids in those glory years.

Demartini was terrific, Croucier bassist was unreal with a tremendous voice, they had it all.

Munky

Coach
The Sword are very good. However they would not be my pick in in stoner metal. Heaps more cooler bans IMO.

Metallica have taken the Sword on tour so they are bound to get a lot bigger profile now.

They also appeared in a Guitar Hero game played by millions around the world.

Where after being sandwiched between Thin Lizzy & Primus everyone went: Who the f**k are The Sword?

Solid

Juniors
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Bon Iver - For Emma

The Drones - Havilah

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Kings of Leon - Only by the night

This is what i really liked through 2008. Most JJJ listeners will know these well.

sydraider

First Grade
Now you're talking champ.

Kyuss are in my top 5 bands all time. Absolute epic band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4A2iGgQQk

John Garcia's bands after Kyuss are awesome too (Hermano, Slo Burn, Unida)

Clutch, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Nebula so many awesome bands.

Australia had a good stoner scene about 10 years ago when I was in a band but it seems to have quietened down a lot.

Monster Magnet RULE!

They brought sexy back to rock n roll in a time when PC crap dominated, Love the Magnet.

sydraider

First Grade
Thank you!:D

Invasion though is their best album imo, just amazing sound, structure everything with them on top of the world, love seeing them in vids in those glory years.

Demartini was terrific, Croucier bassist was unreal with a tremendous voice, they had it all.

Thats all well and good Sir Ron ;) Nothing However beats Bodytalk!

IMO their best song!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Thats all well and good Sir Ron ;) Nothing However beats Bodytalk!

IMO their best song!

The Golden Child dude, i love that scene in the movie and all you hear is bidy talk and their sitting watching the film clip.

Here's a bit of trivia for you, Ratt were the first band they asked to do the soundtrack to TopGun, they rejected it, story of their lives, they f**ked up so many golden oppotunities.

At home now listenining to 'closer to my heart' by ratt of Invasion, amazing song, never get sick of it.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
This is your in trouble, cellar track, most amazing live song i've ever heard, quaility is brillanthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9kZEgWT3E&feature=related

I'd love to hear the names of some other bands/albums for a bit of variety to listen to. I'm into old school rock, led zeppelin, black sabbath, deep purple, guns n roses, acdc, eagles, dire straits, pink floyd, so on and so forth...:music1:

Mate I have no idea most of what has been written, but I'll write some up.
Alice Cooper is a given. If you like Dream Theater (I saw that was mentioned) try Shadow Gallery and Transatlantic.

Old school...T-Rex as well?

braz

Juniors
They also appeared in a Guitar Hero game played by millions around the world.

Where after being sandwiched between Thin Lizzy & Primus everyone went: Who the f**k are The Sword?

Correct - Freya was the song but I think it was a cover from memory not the original.

Priestess were on GH3 with a really cool song called Lay Down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWGIJX2_14

And even better is Guitar Hero Metallica will have Demon Cleaner by Kyuss which is one of my favourite songs ever. Not to mention all the other Metal goodness - can't wait!

braz

Juniors
Monster Magnet RULE!

They brought sexy back to rock n roll in a time when PC crap dominated, Love the Magnet.

MM do indeed kick arse. Saw em live the night before my 21st bday at the metro in sydney in '99.

Awesome gig. They had strippers on stage, Wyndorf set his guitar on fire.

It was pure cheesey rock and I loved every minute of it! They have some really solid albums my favourite being Dopes to Infinity.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not sure what you mean - the whole stoner rock/metal genre essentially borrows from black sabbath.

So to say they aren't stoner but sound like black sabbath is a contradiction in terms.

I'm well aware of that.

What I meant is that I would rather see the respect paid to Sabbath and see people call The Sword a throwback to Sabbath rather than stoner. I was being nitpicky is all.

Brutus

Referee
Deerhunter
The Swirlies
Gary Young, Steve Malkmus, Scott Kannberg, Steve West, Mark Ibold & Bob Nastanovich
No Age
Mice Parade

LESStar58

Referee
I'd love to hear the names of some other bands/albums for a bit of variety to listen to. I'm into old school rock, led zeppelin, black sabbath, deep purple, guns n roses, acdc, eagles, dire straits, pink floyd, so on and so forth...:music1:

Not having grown up anywhere near that era, i obviously don't have a great deal of knowledge of other similar bands from around this era. So i suppose this thread could be used for anyone wanting to hear some alternative music that would usually go unnoticed. ;-)

So, any recommendations? :D :D

X... quite possibly the greatest band to come out of LA. I really only started listening to 'em over the last year but I'm in love with 'em. John and Exene are awesome writers which is really the central strength of the whole band.

www.xtheband.com