What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red V Forum

beecww

Juniors
Sailor and Gasnier spoke briefly but basically said they understood everyone's frustration and they had spoken to the players and assured everyone that they are not happy with the situation. They both said everyone needs to get behind the club as these are tough times but we'll pull through. There was a questions session where Doust basically got hammered.

Phil Rothfield was there. His article will be in the paper on Wednesday. I spoke to him after the gig, he said St George had the most passionate fans by far. Someone asked him why he always wrote negative things about the Dragons, he just shrugged them off

Thanks again. Hope he reports accurately.

Mr Red

First Grade
Full praise to Doust for showing up, even though he knew he would be in for a rough night. Give credit where credit is due. Leaders of the club need to be leaders through both good times and the bad times..

Mr Price on the other hand being a no-show... i am appalled... what a way to further distance yourself from the already angry supporters..

BennyV

Referee
From reading the Twitter feed and Jubilee Ave, seemed like a very interesting experience. A few good answers covered in a lot of spin! Good times

Mr Red

First Grade
If Price wont show up when a true leader needs to be accountable there is no other option or avenue for the supporters to let their feelings be known but at the game.
Banner time - Dice Price.

Elias1983

Coach
Perhaps he was ordered not to show by Doust?

Either way I agree, he should have been there.

It shows a couple of things IMO

A, They know what he is doing is not good enough because you can bet some fans were going to grill about his "plan" or style of play.

B, Does Price honestly think that it's just the last pass or execution that is letting us down? what about our ruck speed? what about the fact that the opposition get through our middle with ease? lack of intensity?

IMO it was Doust who told him to stay away.

jenninga

First Grade
Full praise to Doust for showing up, even though he knew he would be in for a rough night. Give credit where credit is due. Leaders of the club need to be leaders through both good times and the bad times..

Mr Price on the other hand being a no-show... i am appalled... what a way to further distance yourself from the already angry supporters..

I agree with you about Doust facing the music,however as much as we are all angry with the situation,Price didn't have to show.
Having Doust there was enough and he knows how we all feel and he will make the bigger decisions.
All Price would have heard is ,please resign,drop Stanley, Fien,Rein and Prior,your a dickhead etc.Nothing productive.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I was there last night and they also said the following:-

- They are still finalising their roster for next season in terms of players and I am sure he said coaching as well as they all get reviewed at the end of the season so I don't think Price is as safe as people think especially if he continues.
- Halves is a position they are looking to strengthen.
- Hasting's father is in town and they are looking to sign him up and have offered him a fairly good contract for a 17 yo. He is playing in some tournament at the moment and will continue talks when he finishes that.
- Cummins is there till 2014
- Weyman tyhey are waiting to see how he goes with injuries cause he has had a few which is a fair call.
- Kyle Stanley they mentioned something about cutting him and seeking compensation from the Salary cap auditor on his salary being excluded from this years cap because of the injury but got knocked back. They decided to stick with him instead.
- Doust does not pick the team or has any involvement it is up to the coaching staff
- Young does not have an issue with player managers and spends a heap of time in his day talking to them
- Dugan contract talks continue and will determine alot of how they will use up the cap so it looks like he is being offerd a fair chunk of the cap
- Mentioned Quinlan but can't remeber what they said about him, I think he is there till 2014.
- Rangi is a no go they wanted him before June 30.
- Sam Williams was mentioned but pretty sure they tried but could not get a release from the Raiders. From memory did not mention aanything about next season.
- Soward cam up and they more or less said it was not because of teh perfomance against the DOgs but previous performances that made Price drop him to the Cutters. They mentioned training issues as well. He asked for a release and they oit of respect gave him that. The way I saw it he and Price just did not get on and he approached DOust for release and it was granted. I would not blame DOusty for that.

People were asking questions at the end of the sessin and most related to coaching e.g selecting juniors, etc. I felt sorry for Doust because as he stated earlier he has no input into player selection so could not answer those questions, hence why Price should have fronted and I think Doust may have realised that he should have demanded he turn up.As said above the club is not happy with how it is going and hopefully that will act on it appropriately.

They blamed the roster a bit (even Gaz said the roster was not as good) which I did not like rather than the coach. 10 of those blokes in the roster were good enough to get us to a grand final and now they are no good. WTF? Then they tell us to support the team when they are supporting the coach more than the players. I would rather them say we had 1 bad coach than 17 bad players. Doust has done a top job retaining so many of our players that won a Grand Final and given him a great roster but rather than give themself a wrap say that they have given Price a weak side and it's not all his fault. They say he inhertited a aging roster? Well he replaced them with young guys and only has Cooper and Fein who are over 30. And if the squad is that bad then why release a player who played for NSW at 5/8 (TO get that spot he must have been the best 5/8 in the comp and that was only in 2011 , 2 years ago). Obviously the coach did not know how to use him hence why his form suffered.

The retirement of Young. Hornby and Gaz hurt them but replacing Young with Frizzell/Debellin, Hornby with Fein (even swap) and Gaz with Chase would not cause that much of an issue. seriously. And now they have Dugan instead of Boyd so if anything I feel it is an improvement.

160 people attended (one of their biggest attendances) and appart from a couple of old ladies throwing their support behind Pricey they board surely got the hint that everyone wanted him gone. Lets hope it happens.

What the club has to realise is if we thought that we had a bad squad then we would not be as disgruntled as we are. We would be like Parra and accepting the losses and saying oh well, we are rebuilding. But we all know that we have a good squad and should be challenging for the 8. We definaltely do not have the 2nd worst roster in the comp we are just playing like the 2nd worst roster in the comp and that is only thanks to the man in charge of selecting the roster and how to prepare them for the game.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I was there last night and they also said the following:-

- They are still finalising their roster for next season in terms of players and I am sure he said coaching as well as they all get reviewed at the end of the season so I don't think Price is as safe as people think especially if he continues.
- Halves is a position they are looking to strengthen.
- Hasting's father is in town and they are looking to sign him up and have offered him a fairly good contract for a 17 yo. He is playing in some tournament at the moment and will continue talks when he finishes that.
- Cummins is there till 2014
- Weyman tyhey are waiting to see how he goes with injuries cause he has had a few which is a fair call.
- Kyle Stanley they mentioned something about cutting him and seeking compensation from the Salary cap auditor on his salary being excluded from this years cap because of the injury but got knocked back. They decided to stick with him instead.
- Doust does not pick the team or has any involvement it is up to the coaching staff
- Young does not have an issue with player managers and spends a heap of time in his day talking to them
- Dugan contract talks continue and will determine alot of how they will use up the cap so it looks like he is being offerd a fair chunk of the cap
- Mentioned Quinlan but can't remeber what they said about him, I think he is there till 2014.
- Rangi is a no go they wanted him before June 30.
- Sam Williams was mentioned but pretty sure they tried but could not get a release from the Raiders. From memory did not mention aanything about next season.
- Soward cam up and they more or less said it was not because of teh perfomance against the DOgs but previous performances that made Price drop him to the Cutters. They mentioned training issues as well. He asked for a release and they oit of respect gave him that. The way I saw it he and Price just did not get on and he approached DOust for release and it was granted. I would not blame DOusty for that.

People were asking questions at the end of the sessin and most related to coaching e.g selecting juniors, etc. I felt sorry for Doust because as he stated earlier he has no input into player selection so could not answer those questions, hence why Price should have fronted and I think Doust may have realised that he should have demanded he turn up.As said above the club is not happy with how it is going and hopefully that will act on it appropriately.

They blamed the roster a bit (even Gaz said the roster was not as good) which I did not like rather than the coach. 10 of those blokes in the roster were good enough to get us to a grand final and now they are no good. WTF? Then they tell us to support the team when they are supporting the coach more than the players. I would rather them say we had 1 bad coach than 17 bad players. Doust has done a top job retaining so many of our players that won a Grand Final and given him a great roster but rather than give themself a wrap say that they have given Price a weak side and it's not all his fault. They say he inhertited a aging roster? Well he replaced them with young guys and only has Cooper and Fein who are over 30. And if the squad is that bad then why release a player who played for NSW at 5/8 (TO get that spot he must have been the best 5/8 in the comp and that was only in 2011 , 2 years ago). Obviously the coach did not know how to use him hence why his form suffered.

The retirement of Young. Hornby and Gaz hurt them but replacing Young with Frizzell/Debellin, Hornby with Fein (even swap) and Gaz with Chase would not cause that much of an issue. seriously. And now they have Dugan instead of Boyd so if anything I feel it is an improvement.

160 people attended (one of their biggest attendances) and appart from a couple of old ladies throwing their support behind Pricey they board surely got the hint that everyone wanted him gone. Lets hope it happens.

What the club has to realise is if we thought that we had a bad squad then we would not be as disgruntled as we are. We would be like Parra and accepting the losses and saying oh well, we are rebuilding. But we all know that we have a good squad and should be challenging for the 8. We definaltely do not have the 2nd worst roster in the comp we are just playing like the 2nd worst roster in the comp and that is only thanks to the man in charge of selecting the roster and how to prepare them for the game.

Great summary...On another note, he was mentioning our hookers and spoke about Rein and Garvey but did not mention King once. Me thinks he is gone

st.phil

Bench
Other innaresting tid-bits, offering Jackson Hastings a whopping contract for his age, Rangi would have been here if it were not for the dunderheads in the NRL salary cap office but it WON'T happen now as he will get huge bucks to stay in UK. Recruitment not finished, a lot hinging on Dugan and will fall into place once his contract is sorted.

Oh and the old "constantly reviewing" the coaching position line was trotted out ad nauseam

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Also it was Bennett who made the call to release Josh Morris as he thought he was a winger and not centre. But they are interested in bringing him back and will try so in November as they are not allowed to talk to him until then as he is under contract.

Browny got some credit for assembling the squad that got them the Grand Final which was huge. And he still keeps in contact with the Dragons and acts like some sort of scout in the UK.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Jenninga supporting Price? What a suprise?

Since the FANS wanted alot of answers to player selections and performance and HE is in charge of all that HE should have been there. Doust can't answer how and why players get slelected so why should he have to be faced with answering those questions?

He could of answerred the biggest mystery in the world. Why is Chase Stanley playing 5/8? Nobody else know the logic to that but him.

If Doust told him not to come because he would face a barrage then he obviously does not think much of him as he feels he would not be able to cope or give stupid answers to make the situation worse than it allready is.

I hear what you guys are saying about Doust possibly asking for Price not to show but my idea of a leader isn't one that hides (even if asked to). He should of stood up I think more people would have given him credit where it is due much the same as they do with Doust. The members are the heart of the club. Without the diehard fans there is no club. It was an opportunity to take ownership for failures and inspire the future.

"Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself."
~ Paul "Bear" Bryant

Godz Illa

Coach
Mate just to clarify this for people:

Doust actually said they could have terminated Kyle's contract. But they didnt seriously entertain it (which I agree with) due to being a local player they'd developed, want to stick by him, etc etc. He mentioned applying to Schubert to have his salary excluded due to the injury, but was denied

Country Dragon

Juniors

Doust actually said they could have terminated Kyle's contract. But they didnt seriously entertain it (which I agree with) due to being a local player they'd developed, want to stick by him, etc etc. He mentioned applying to Schubert to have his salary excluded due to the injury, but was denied

That sounds more like it.

BennyV

Referee

Thats good to hear - it's not a good look to terminate his contract with minimal first grade experience just because he's injured...

saint.nick

Coach
Sailor and Gasnier spoke briefly but basically said they understood everyone's frustration and they had spoken to the players and assured everyone that they are not happy with the situation. They both said everyone needs to get behind the club as these are tough times but we'll pull through. There was a questions session where Doust basically got hammered.

Phil Rothfield was there. His article will be in the paper on Wednesday. I spoke to him after the gig, he said St George had the most passionate fans by far. Someone asked him why he always wrote negative things about the Dragons, he just shrugged them off

But he doesn't always write negative things about us. The last time I remember perceiving him as anti saints was 2009. He was backing us for most of the season in 2010, and could have jumped on the easts to win bandwagon before the grand final, dribble about how the roosters were 'so relaxed' and how their attacking enterprise would undo us, but he didn't. He was confident we'd win. In 2011 he was pretty confident we could go back to back, and since then any criticism that would have been fired from him to the club would have been reasonable. If you want to talk about people who are anti saints, look at blocker roach and benny elias for a great example. I think saints fans are letting the memories of 09 linger around too much.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
But he doesn't always write negative things about us. The last time I remember perceiving him as anti saints was 2009. He was backing us for most of the season in 2010, and could have jumped on the easts to win bandwagon before the grand final, dribble about how the roosters were 'so relaxed' and how their attacking enterprise would undo us, but he didn't. He was confident we'd win. In 2011 he was pretty confident we could go back to back, and since then any criticism that would have been fired from him to the club would have been reasonable. If you want to talk about people who are anti saints, look at blocker roach and benny elias for a great example. I think saints fans are letting the memories of 09 linger around too much.

I spoke to him later. He seemed like a nice guy. He said if we were frustrated, imagine what it feels like to be a sharks supporter