What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reddy for the NRL

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
fish eel said:
True.

if you were coach, would you start him in the number 1?

I would. Once in a 20 year talent. he is going to get the number 1 shirt eventually, why pussy foot around?

Never a truer word spoken.

I personally would not even have Burt on the wing because unfortunately I think he is a worse winger than fullback. If Burt has to be anywhere I can put up with him at fullback. However my team would be Hayne at fullback and Inu on the wing. Riddell would be first choice kicker and then Hayne or someone else would take over the kicking when Riddel is off.

IMHO both Inu and Hayne and maybe even maybe D Williams and Lett will turn out to be better footballers than Burt . Burt does give everything for this club but he is just doesn't have that one standout talent be a very good first grade back such as strength, football smarts or blinding speed.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:

While I'd prefer Hayne, I'm happy to see Hagan try out Burt or Reddy or whoever. New coach, new mentality, you never know what that can do for players.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Burty and Reddy are both hot and cold and ordinary or what ever you like call them

Hayne on the other hand could be anything, I'd be getting him in there now

Let the other two fight over Hayne's old wing spot

Gronk

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Ever get the opportunity to watch Hindy in PL? If you did most wouldn't have wanted him in firsts......

Funny, I have no recollection of either of the H brothers in PL (reserves). So your probably right.

Gronk

Staff member
Twizzle said:
Let the other two fight over Hayne's old wing spot

That depends on who will goal kick whilst the Pig is off in his oxygen tent.

Jarryd does kick goals though ...:-k

yy_cheng

Coach
I wouldn't say Burt doesn't have the smarts. I think he's probably one of the brighter ones but it's physically where he struggles.

Jarryd kicks goals but he doesn't take it seriously yet.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Bugger fullback for Hayne i'd have in the centres with Tahu.

My side

1. Reddy
2. Inu
3. Tahu
4. Hayne
5. Grothe

I reckon Hayne on one side and Tahu on the other gives our team many options.

Whilst some would claim that at Hayne at Fullback would give him more flexibility, i don't believe this. For a Fullbacks role in backlines are generally as support players eg Patten, Burt, Hunt etc....the halfs and centres create opportunities then the fullback or wings back up to score.

So i believe Reddy or Burt should be fullback with Hayne in the centres as Burt and Reddy are good support players whilst Hayne is the more creative out of the lot.

Gronk

Staff member
Hayne in the centres ? Noooooo.

These days with big fast backrowers lurking out wide, its not the place for a kid like Jarryd who is still wet behind the ears. Let him learn his trade on the wing.

Big Benny plugs a lot of holes and will have a great 07 4 sure.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Bugger fullback for Hayne i'd have in the centres with Tahu.

My side

1. Reddy
2. Inu
3. Tahu
4. Hayne
5. Grothe

I reckon Hayne on one side and Tahu on the other gives our team many options.

Whilst some would claim that at Hayne at Fullback would give him more flexibility, i don't believe this. For a Fullbacks role in backlines are generally as support players eg Patten, Burt, Hunt etc....the halfs and centres create opportunities then the fullback or wings back up to score.

So i believe Reddy or Burt should be fullback with Hayne in the centres as Burt and Reddy are good support players whilst Hayne is the more creative out of the lot.

I reckon Hunt, Bowen (and that Kiwi fullback) and in yesteryear Lockyer were alternative playmakers and that's where I can see what Hayne doing.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Gronk said:
Hayne in the centres ? Noooooo.

These days with big fast backrowers lurking out wide, its not the place for a kid like Jarryd who is still wet behind the ears. Let him learn his trade on the wing.

Big Benny plugs a lot of holes and will have a great 07 4 sure.

So if he was fullback and 'big fast backrowers' made breaks and Hayne couldn't tackle em it would be ok?

If Hayne can't tackle at Fullback then don't put him there, simple, i'd rather someone better defensively.

Atleast at centre he has teammates to help him.

And Ben Smith can be sloppy in defense at times, saw him get caught out many times last year as he came in too early on occasions and was too slow to adjust.

I guess everyone on this board saw this right? perhaps chose to ignore it because its Ben Smith after all not Tim Smith or Luke Burt?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
yy_cheng said:
I reckon Hunt, Bowen (and that Kiwi fullback) and in yesteryear Lockyer were alternative playmakers and that's where I can see what Hayne doing.

That's why Lockyer is the number 1 player in the world at present in the 5/8 position, and Hunt played well at 5/8 too.

Hayne doesn't have the passing game of Lockyer or Hunt either, so that knocks that theory out the window.

we need someone at fullback who is defensively sound & a solid support player eg Mckinnon, burt, patten. Hayne has only proven his attacking skills...and as for his denfensive skills? well we saw him get caught out countless times last year, and it would be stupid to put a guy who is struggling positionally in defense on the wing to fullback when there is alot more at stake.

Suitman

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
That's why Lockyer is the number 1 player in the world at present in the 5/8 position, and Hunt played well at 5/8 too.

Hayne doesn't have the passing game of Lockyer or Hunt either, so that knocks that theory out the window.

we need someone at fullback who is defensively sound & a solid support player eg Mckinnon, burt, patten. Hayne has only proven his attacking skills...and as for his denfensive skills? well we saw him get caught out countless times last year, and it would be stupid to put a guy who is struggling positionally in defense on the wing to fullback when there is alot more at stake.

Rubbish.
Defensively, Hayne is a much safer bet at fullback than Burt.
I draw your attention to the tackle on Wesser at Penrith stadium, and then, some other clown at Parra which he buried into the turf behind the tryline on another occassion.

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
Maybe all the pussy footin' around is because the coach sees someone else as our long-term fullback...Krisnan Inu.

He may think, "Right - this freakshow Hayne says he likes fullback best - but he scored 17 tries in 15 games on the wing...I don't really want to break up that sort of strike rate for now." And so he brings Inu on to fullback.

On Reddy, he has another very distinct advantage - he can kick the ball with both feet. This could come in handy as a third playmaker option.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Hayne has only proven his attacking skills...and as for his denfensive skills? well we saw him get caught out countless times last year, and it would be stupid to put a guy who is struggling positionally in defense on the wing to fullback when there is alot more at stake.

I haven't watched Hayne play fullback in the lower grades and I believe he didn't play that much on the wing (I could be wrong though). Therefore, he would definitely be caught out on the wing as it is new to him.

Put Mckinnon on the wing and I am sure he would be caught out too as that's not where he learnt his trade.

Ron.... i agree with most things you say but on this one i won't. hayne is an excellent fullback. I have watched him since the harold mathews and he was freak back then in attack and especially in defence. He never played wing in the Juniors it was always Fullback. the only time he played wing was when he was elevated to PL and 1st grade.

His natural posy is Fullback.

The Eel

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Reddy had a few goes last year and did alright, but with Burt he went back in the team cause of his goal kicking, but it wasnt just his goal kicking that did well, he played awesome in some of those games. I'd happy to have Burt there, but if his form goes down hill are there any other goal kickers apart from Riddell?

I may be wrong here Parra Fan, but when Tim Smith came in to grade I have a recollection that he kicked goals. Someone might be able to back me up or shoot me down in flames. From memory, I think he also played 5/8, and used to cut the opposition up. Might that be an option? Play Finch at half. Granted Jersey Flegg standard is not first grade, but would Tim get more involved if he was two off the ruck?

The Eel

Juniors
The Eel said:
I may be wrong here Parra Fan, but when Tim Smith came in to grade I have a recollection that he kicked goals. Someone might be able to back me up or shoot me down in flames. From memory, I think he also played 5/8, and used to cut the opposition up. Might that be an option? Play Finch at half. Granted Jersey Flegg standard is not first grade, but would Tim get more involved if he was two off the ruck?

Oh, I forgot, Hayney also kicked in the lower grades.