What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Wow, Mal could be onto something and maybe people will take notice, him being the great coach that he is. Not just a soc rambling on about wasting Fullbacks as battering rams just because they're big enough when they should be surprise weapons in the Centres . . . surely if anyone should know where to play speedy tackle busters it's Mal

I remember when Roy Masters had a big Lock Forward who wasn't getting anywhere bashing his head up against forward brick walls, he told the bloke to play on the wing and become the season's top try scorer. I wonder what would of happened if Roy threw him a #1 jersey instead . . . thank f**k he wasn't that dumb

The real problem with big blokes playing #1 is not the gauntlet they have to run before they even get to the position they should have started from in the first place, it's the extra manoeuvring involved. Can't imagine how Gene Miles would have become 'Invincible' if he had to run from tryline to tryline

More importantly, it's one thing to score tries and another to prevent them, which is the real job of the man given the last line of defence. You won't hear much chatter or get much sideways organisation from a bloke preoccupied with saving his body from lateral movement damage

So, present day has Mary still wanting Duges in the Centres but can't buy a Fullback and Mal calling Maguire silly for being the only respectable coach who sees Inglis as a permanent #1. Let me think, which other teams are trying to do the f**king negligently unfeasible . . . none of the Shield front runners it seems

POPEYE

Coach
Not many are capable of playing Front Row and wise enough for 5/8, Artie was one and Blair is another, however that is not the reason Adam would be as valuable to Benny as any in his team. Not quite as frenetic as Tawera Nikau but a little smarter with the ball it's more than the aggression Blair teaches it's the perpetuation of it

I reckon the Cowboys are a better team this year because Adam Scott is breathing fire, the other Scott at Parramatta is someone they needed and can't do without and where would the Dogs be without Graham. It appears Henry is a 'dear' without Bird worse luck and Flanno has turned his mob into 1%'ers.

Bellamy is trying to grow more Blairs while Maguire is failing to turn Carter into a Te'o, he knows Souths are a mere shadow without him. Believe it or not a Mose Masoe is just as important to the Dragons as a Duges

The teams that learn from their enforcers will be the teams that will cope when they're without them

POPEYE

Coach
Well there you have it, for one reason or another be they right or wrong a full Saturday of RL f**ked. Not that I watched much of the Titans/Dogs game, I had better things to do until I was made aware of the closeness of it. Believe it or not I believe the Dogs didn't deserve to lose any more than the Titans . . . so being a RL purist I reckon the insidious golden point f**king annihilated game 1

Game 2 was a f**king joke for another reason, two coaches made to look poles apart because of one player and the inability of his opposite number to counteract. No complaints about the winning or losing of it, how it happened and who is at fault I fear will be the irresponsible ominous outcome

What a shame game 3 was a great spectacle ruined, if I'd crystal balled Norman being sent to the bin I would've watched a movie instead. People have been calling for 'professional' fouls to be punished in such a manner and so one was as an example to all, Norman clearly had it in his game plan. Whether or not it will repeatedly f**k more games is open to conjecture

So, at the end of the day we had Stuart lost for words, Robbie with a sly smile, Green and Dessie relieved, Henry robbed, Taylor fuming and Arthur unfortunate. Every RL purist other than those directly affected should consider the game itself the real loser

POPEYE

Coach
Finally a great game of 80 minute footy this round, I'm harder to please than most but some would say it's contradictory when I reckon Penrith are far from done and are just a tweak away from becoming great. I see Soward and Maloney as not all that far apart, both are capable, both are dedicated . . . Jamie a little slower between the ears

Talent is secondary to the one player on the field yesterday who believes his personal game plan is not up for discussion. Ennis is why a diesel ute has better resale than a petrol driven one, only over exuberance will stall this bloke.

I admire the way he keeps his mob's minds on the job, many a wanker confuses what he does with brain snapping. His episode with Lewis/Moylan was exactly what the doctor ordered when the Sharks were in danger of catching cold. He puts me in mind of how Wally would've played if he hadn't of been as talented as he was

Those who think everything Ennis does is not contrived are in no position to judge, you need to be sneaky wiser to appreciate his efforts. The Sharks may have won because they superficially appeared to have two playmakers in tandem against one but make no mistake it was three against one

POPEYE

Coach
Not in favour of statistics ol' mate, the points tally at a specific time a player decides to take matters into his own hands is what counts . . . same as the first day of the rest of your life is today

POPEYE

Coach
Didn't watch the Seagle/Knights because I thought it would be a rout when I had something to do that needed finishing. Don't know the figures but it seems as ability increases so do injuries . . . a correlation maybe?

Said in my weekly team list dribble that Cummins & Devcich would be diabolical but that's just standard procedure from them. I reckon Robbo has an agenda with his criticism, it's worth the fine he's about to receive as a precursor to a Rooster Eureka Stockade, he has no choice now but to light a fire under his mob.

Not sure if C.& D. were any worse than usual, their antics were merely exacerbated by an ever head swelling bunker, my guess is the innovation is struggling with where it should be in the pecking order, needs some high roller direction . . . what's Jabba's next project.

Btw, who was the referee that got Klemmer off a contact charge, I can't remember

Don't think it mattered that Johnson is a turnstyle, passing the ball like musical chairs being a threat one touch in six didn't lose the game for the Warriors, I fear resignation has gripped the whole team by their balls. If they can't win with brains keeping the mongrel on a chain leaves them with nothing.

If I 'hated' any team and it was Melbourne I would have barracked for them yesterday nonetheless, any opportunity to hear Greg f**king Alexander squirm is not to be missed. No doubt he's still wearing those nut crunching shorts and his feverish pitch combined with the nauseatingly endless Warren Smith are the worst thing about MNF

POPEYE

Coach
Doesn't matter who's sitting in the bow or the stern, Griffin, McFadden, Brown, Taylor and Robinson are all in the same boat so who the f**k can claim one as the odd man out, each has an equal claim to shit happens. Imo Taylor has the best excuse so Rabbitohs/Tigers is a game of some importance, I want the Tigers to win but Farah again embarrassed . . . can I have my cake and eat it too

Go the Eels. Maxwell refereeing . . . this game could end up on the nose

What a box of chocolates, the Raiders/Panthers should be delicious and not a game to be missed. How Segeyaro is going to match Hodgson will be the key, it will take a ton of luck and an off day. The halves matchup is a bigger lottery than the finals series, thank f**k I'm not an hallucinogenic believer

Roosters/Knights is made interesting because Newcastle fans will turn up even when their mob can't possibly win . . . they deserve to deserve

Any team that is complacent when playing the Seagles is foolhardy . . . other than that . . .

No matter what happens in the Warriors/Dragons game the winner will claim victory in a epic encounter, the heroes heralded by the 'experts' and the process labelled 'classic'. I on the other hand sincerely wish both coaches the best of luck . . . they will f**king need it

Storm can afford to lose a game, they've had more than their fair share of luck, why not have the Titans given their share. You know I want Melbourne to win so why the bullshit you ask . . . there's nothing wrong with the occasional miracle if you don't become addicted

Sharks/Broncos match of the round because it's John L v Gentleman Jim, let's see if Marquis of Queensberry ruins this game. Will need Sutton to referee this one, giving Devcich a whistle could bring it all undone

POPEYE

Coach
No secret I'm a big fan of mongrel, the leading teams can't do without it and those languishing who have it can claim believable extenuating circumstances, we saw the lengths Robbo is prepared to go to recoup it.

Souths are without it despite the efforts of Nathan Brown, he and Carter working in tandem are what is needed but still way off getting there, Sam is overcooking in an effort to introduce it. I doubt the Tigers would have won if the Rabbitohs weren't bunnies but I'm glad they did

POPEYE

Coach
There you go, the Eels had a fill-in #6 who did a great job and lost their #1 . . . won the game by out-mongrelling the mongrels

POPEYE

Coach
Best part of last night's game was watching Arthur emulate Bellamy, if the Eels keep giving the competition the finger the way they are Mexico may have come to NSW. It's understandable that the Eels are playing like Melbourne, anyone understudying Bellamy for 3 years and able to survive the ordeal must have liked what he saw . . . Arthur seems capable of perpetuating the experience

My bellyache has been telling me for 12 months to take more notice of Norman, being sceptical of Parra's management I must admit I lost interest. Nice to see the bloke playing so well, compensating for Foran's absence was a snack and what about Loose Cannon Takairangi . . . if that's not the Bellamy influence in Arthur I'm not here

My number one man however last night was Beau Scott, without the 'Blair' he brings the Eels could've succumbed

POPEYE

Coach
Everything went the way people with two operating eyes imagined it would, Sticky would've expected adding Austin would improve the side but changing a big win team is never a good idea. Appears Penrith are not the team everyone should feel sorry for, fumbling with a loaded weapon is also never a good idea

What better game for Pearce to make a comeback, Brown's mob do have a part to play in this season after all even if it is only to help with derailments. Roosters won't win the Shield, no best team four years running for them . . . irony is they couldn't have done it without Pearce it seems, his team mates don't think he's a bum

Ah Jamie, he's the best 80 minute Centre in the game, never gives up and there's nothing he won't do to win as he's proven time and again, last night's dive came as no surprise considering previous efforts. Unusual for the Cowboys to bundy off, letting complacency give way to conceit is not a trait they should encourage

POPEYE

Coach
Strange as it may seem I want Johnson to look before he passes, see if there is a gap he can at least pretend to run through, because I'd like nothing better than a Sharks/Warriors cup final. The Warriors didn't win because McFadden dropped players, they won because a little bald headed bloke embarrassed them into fighting like their lives depended on it . . . Robson might only be a journeyman but he is a f**king champion trier

Before Round 8 Melbourne had struggled up the ladder, the last two rounds they got a much needed easy leg up, whether they survive the rep bullshit and make a real impact on the Shield is a different thing. At least wankers will be afraid they might pinch the cup . . . which inspires me no end. Titans are still deserving, not yet a charity case

As I've said previously, the Sharks are where they are because they have mongrel, the Broncos played like a bite shy thoroughbred, only when they realised the contest should have been one sided did they find the gate wasn't shut. If Fifita wasn't the f**king dumbest footballer on the planet Flanno's mob would have run roughshod over Benny's mob . . . Andrew is far more trouble than he's worth

POPEYE

Coach
At least the weekend is stand alone, the Kiwis are not at an extreme disadvantage in recent years and we get to see 'fill-ins' that shouldn't be an NRL afterthought. Nothing happening this weekend is insidious as is Origin in the middle of the season, less of a media money grabbing exercise and great for fringe players. Purists have no trouble appreciating this interval for what it is

Paul Kent, almost as mentally fictitious as Clark is physically, never ceases to make me dribble from the penis . . . old men are prone to piss themselves laughing. Parramatta deserve to be punished for stupidity, just as Melbourne and the Dogs were, there are different degrees of dumbness hence the need for different degrees of punishment

Saying the Eels stole Manly's mojo by stealing away a key man in Watmough is equivalent to any imbecilic utterance from Waldron, Kent knows however that a larger percentage of wankers are going to believe him than believed Waldron when he said he thought 'everyone was doing it'

Of course all clubs manipulate the cap, its just that most managements are earning the money they're paid not to make it obvious. Anyone with half a f**king brain realises Parramatta is getting punished for being obvious, the NRL is nowhere good enough to catch clubs that aren't . . . you can't turn a blind eye when a 5 year old is threatening to poke you in the good one

Back to Kent, the mumbling f**kwit wouldn't realise a bus was up his arse until the passengers started getting out, pretending Anthony wasn't past his use-by date long before he left Manly is akin to putting an extracted tooth under a pillow . . . who the f**k does he think he is imagining he can convince RL purists there is a tooth fairy

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's a pity you're not a soccer man Pops. If you were, you'd have got a real kick out of what Claudio Ranieri has done with Leicester City, taking them to the Premier League title with a fraction of the budget of the teams they beat.

POPEYE

Coach
I'm not a believer in the imaginary greatness of NFL either ol' mate but I enjoyed the story portrayed in that movie, can't think of the name, where bums beat the best

Believe it or nor, I'm all for a salary cap that worked the way Jesus would have liked, unfortunately as in religion it's a major f**kup because the bad guys are more devious than the good guys . . . we'd be better off with an alternative for both

Almost forgot to tell you how excited I am, the last time I watched the game with one eye closed was when Jack was with Parramatta, the only reason I began a spiritual pilgrimage to Melbourne was because the odds against were too good not to make every post a winner. Now the punishment's been verified I'm going to buy a Parra jersey again . . . can't f**king wait to sail against the wind once more

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
I agree with Greenberg although I didn't hear/read anything he said except the last paragraph, clubs must not be allowed to thumb their nose at the salary cap. There should also be a law against people picking their nose in public . . . nothing worse than blatant f**king disregard for propriety

It's the prick's job to do exactly what he's doing and I can't find fault in the process, rules are rules and the vast majority of the RL public not only want but need to believe in the righteousness of it all. Crikey, you've only got to look how well Hillsong works, RL could do with such a following at the moment.

The pity of it all is that no advancements are being made, the status quo amongst the 'real movers' will remain the same ol' same ol'. Instead of this year's fairytale involving Parramatta we purists are going to have to be content with the Sharks alone as saviours of imagination.

Would've been better if Radradra had of been discovered by the Titans and Foran would have went there because Arthur was the new coach instead of Henry. Being an NRL controlled club they might've been able to fit Norman in as well and voila we have another fairytale, one beyond reproach, to compliment the miracle that might be a Cronulla cup

If I happened to walk through the wrong door and found myself in the Greenberg front row I'd put my hand up and inform him that I wasn't one of the congregation, while I had his attention I'd ask with all the improvements to the game why hasn't anyone bothered to supercede the cap with a logical alternative

POPEYE

Coach
Good to see Cleary has been appointed as a consultant for match review, judiciary and refereeing issues, many a press conference had him biting his tongue, pity we won't be privy to the 'consultations'. Greenberg reckons it'll be good to have input from someone who has 'a feel for the game from a coaching perspective' . . . as opposed to whatever it was we had before

The coaches meeting also noted there have been more close outcomes, more one point winning margins since '98, the referees should be commended for their due diligence. Obstruction rules were debated before endorsing the current 'colourful' system, thankfully 'black and white' was given the heave ho . . . maybe the officials should however undergo a colour-blindness test before being appointed

Seems we may have 5 mins each way before GP in the finals but no mention of eradicating GP for Shield games . . . we win some lose some

POPEYE

Coach
I've always been understanding of why Melbourne were 'punished' for not letting the salary cap ruin their philosophy but f**ked if I'll ever be apologetic so upon reading this anyone who is thinking of taking me to task is talking to the hand

I've been trying hard to find a reason I should remove Parramatta from my wishlist which presently has a Sharks/Eels gf at the very top, displacing an all virgin affair. Looking through the list of players in the Aus/NZ game I can't find any Eels that were 'poached' just as I can't find any Stormers that were poached

If Foran was playing there might be a case for saying Parramatta disadvantaged Manly for me to answer but no doubt I'd convince myself payback for dumping Toovey has circumvented hypocrisy. So as it stands now just as I believe no team deserved to plunder Melbourne's home grown talent no team deserves to take advantage of a hard fought Parramatta resurgence

The Eels players that were either unknowns or discards are now playing the house down because they are being trained as a group to do just that, they weren't assembled by disadvantaging other clubs, as such they deserve to remain in-house . . . my conscience is clear.

Then there's the added bonus of my once maligning of Parramatta for not 'Storming' (creating and keeping) being turned around. What we have now is a situation where most Eels pisstakers have reverted to green eyed monsters, jealousy has replaced animosity. Just as I considered Melbourne within their rights the New Parramatta is within its rights to carry on what Arthur has started, rising and hopefully staying above inept NRL thought processing

I live for the ideal . . . finding, nurturing, keeping talent and turning bums in gutters into bums on seats. With luck Parramatta will scrape into wanker paradise, could be the first to kick arse from 8th, do it with 80 minute toilers and without 40 minute Haynes. Best of all, no matter what happens Parramatta is the new destination for unknowns . . . what a f**king turnaround

POPEYE

Coach
Both teams professional, fine job of going through the motions . . . Kahu the standout player