What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reduce Number Of Teams In Nrl

More simpler said than done but the comp should be made up as follows

5 Sydney teams - combination of existing 8 or 9 into 5
1 Central coast team involving norths- be it a 3 way venture or 2
1 Melbourne team
1 Canberra team
1 NZ team
1 Newcastle team
1 Gold coast team
1 Brisbane team
1 North Queensland team

13 teams - 2 full home and away rounds and 1 bye- top 8 -

perverse

Referee
13 teams is a sh*t horrible number. not even yawnion were stupid enough to make a 13 team comp.

perverse

Referee
not to mention you only knock out 5 teams for the finals. wtf is going on in that head of yours?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh, because the media companies are going to pay loads more money for less games in a continuing non national sport. Great idea!

cronker

Juniors
How does the NATIONAL Rugby League comp benefit from a reduction in teams, with no consideration of the need to expand into WA and Central Coast with possibly a SA team somewhere in the future. Nuffy.

Raging Rabbit

juniors

1 Melbourne team
1 Canberra team
1 NZ team
1 Newcastle team
1 Gold coast team
1 Brisbane team
1 North Queensland team

yeltsin.jpg

Two more bottles, coming right up. :crazy:

coolumsharkie

Referee

1 Melbourne team
1 Canberra team
1 NZ team
1 Newcastle team
1 Gold coast team
1 Brisbane team
1 North Queensland team

Yeah sounds like a great idea.

f**k off!!!

Charlie124

First Grade
Thats a really good idea actually.

hang on, not "good"...whats the word im looking for? oh yeah! "terrible".

Knight87

Juniors
In 20 years time in 2028, I know this probably won't happen, but it'd be my dream and vision to see us have the following 22 team NATIONAL competition:

WESTERN AUSTRALIA (1)
Perth (WA Reds)

SOUTH AUSTRALIA (1)
Adelaide

VICTORIA (1)
Melbourne
(Melbourne Storm)

AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY (1)
Canberra (Canberra Raiders)

NORTHERN TERRITORY (1)
Darwin
(Northern Territory franchise based mostly out of Darwin. League does have a strong presence in the NT. Climate very similar to Nth QLD. However, if Alice Springs got a fair bit of funding for a decent ground there, I'd play 1 or 2 home games there each year in the future, to still maintain ties with the other main locality in NT. This is a very untapped market, and one area where we've gotta stop the AFL from gaining a foothold in. In 20 years time, NT will have expanded even more)

TASMANIA (1)
Launceston (Tasmanian franchise, predominantly based in Launceston. Team plays out of Aurora Stadium).

PAPUA NEW GUINEA (1)
Port Moresby (ok, I know this is the controversial pick of the lot. However, if security can be improved, and they can get a decent 20-25,000 seat ground to play out of, this will be a HUUUUUUGE success, as Darryl Eastlake would say. League being the national sport there, the ground would be packed out every week and sponsorship isn't a problem there, as someone has already said earlier)

NEW ZEALAND (3)
Auckland (NZ Warriors license reverting back to Auckland Warriors)
Wellington (Wellington Orcas)
Christchurch (South Island is also very important, and cannot be neglected)

QUEENSLAND (5)
Townsville (North Queensland Cowboys)
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane (Brisbane Broncos)
West Brisbane (playing out of Suncorp Stadium)
Gold Coast (Gold Coast Titans)

NEW SOUTH WALES (7)
Newcastle (Newcastle Knights)
Central Coast (Northern Bears (tying in both the Central Coast and North Sydney areas))
Wollongong (Illawarra Steelers as a stand alone entity)
Sydney x 4

So, there you go. If 4 Sydney Teams is too low, then the second plan: I'd scrap the Tasmanian and Port Moresby franchises (as they are the ones which are probably most unlikeliest to get off the ground), I'd expand from 4 to 6 Sydney Teams. In compensation to improve league in PNG, I would organise more test matches between Australia and PNG, to give their players more exposure to first-grade level. As with the 6 Sydney teams (from the current lot of 9), I'd have St George and Cronulla merge, Manly relocate to Sunshine Coast and South Sydney relocate to Adelaide.

Third plan: If comp had to be reduced to 20 teams (having a top 10 final series, like in 1998, which is based on the current AFL top 8 system), I'd eliminate the Darwin, Tasmanian, Port Moresby and Christchurch franchises from that list at the top, and expand from 4 to 6 Sydney teams.

your thoughts?

i only read this thread because i thought hed write something about how USSR should have a team in the nrl, but he let me down :(

Chapsta

Juniors
In 20 years time in 2028, I know this probably won't happen, but it'd be my dream and vision to see us have the following 22 team NATIONAL competition:

WESTERN AUSTRALIA (1)
Perth (WA Reds)

SOUTH AUSTRALIA (1)
Adelaide

VICTORIA (1)
Melbourne (Melbourne Storm)

AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY (1)
Canberra (Canberra Raiders)

NORTHERN TERRITORY (1)
Darwin (Northern Territory franchise based mostly out of Darwin. League does have a strong presence in the NT. Climate very similar to Nth QLD. However, if Alice Springs got a fair bit of funding for a decent ground there, I'd play 1 or 2 home games there each year in the future, to still maintain ties with the other main locality in NT. This is a very untapped market, and one area where we've gotta stop the AFL from gaining a foothold in. In 20 years time, NT will have expanded even more)

TASMANIA (1)
Launceston (Tasmanian franchise, predominantly based in Launceston. Team plays out of Aurora Stadium).

PAPUA NEW GUINEA (1)
Port Moresby (ok, I know this is the controversial pick of the lot. However, if security can be improved, and they can get a decent 20-25,000 seat ground to play out of, this will be a HUUUUUUGE success, as Darryl Eastlake would say. League being the national sport there, the ground would be packed out every week and sponsorship isn't a problem there, as someone has already said earlier)

NEW ZEALAND (3)
Auckland (NZ Warriors license reverting back to Auckland Warriors)
Wellington (Wellington Orcas)
Christchurch (South Island is also very important, and cannot be neglected)

QUEENSLAND (5)
Townsville (North Queensland Cowboys)
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane (Brisbane Broncos)
West Brisbane (playing out of Suncorp Stadium)
Gold Coast (Gold Coast Titans)

NEW SOUTH WALES (7)
Newcastle (Newcastle Knights)
Central Coast (Northern Bears (tying in both the Central Coast and North Sydney areas))
Wollongong (Illawarra Steelers as a stand alone entity)
Sydney x 4

So, there you go. If 4 Sydney Teams is too low, then the second plan: I'd scrap the Tasmanian and Port Moresby franchises (as they are the ones which are probably most unlikeliest to get off the ground), I'd expand from 4 to 6 Sydney Teams. In compensation to improve league in PNG, I would organise more test matches between Australia and PNG, to give their players more exposure to first-grade level. As with the 6 Sydney teams (from the current lot of 9), I'd have St George and Cronulla merge, Manly relocate to Sunshine Coast and South Sydney relocate to Adelaide.

Third plan: If comp had to be reduced to 20 teams (having a top 10 final series, like in 1998, which is based on the current AFL top 8 system), I'd eliminate the Darwin, Tasmanian, Port Moresby and Christchurch franchises from that list at the top, and expand from 4 to 6 Sydney teams.

your thoughts?

My thoughts: If West Brisbane gets a team it needs to play out of a different stadium. Suncorp won't do, fans who can make it to Suncorp are the ones who show up. There's a large portion of Ipswich-Logan League fans who don't travel to Suncorp. I don't like the idea of shared stadiums.

For NSW i think you're spot on, although 5 Sydney teams is better than 4, all being mergers and all keeping their traditional sides in the lower grades. Illawarra as a stand alone club is a good idea, maybe the area can take a break from League for a while and come back as a new entity (aka the Gold Coast Chargers/Titans situation)

Tasmania, Adelaide, Christchurch, Darwin & PNG is a stretch too far. Although all these places should host NRL season matches to "test the water". Dragons should have taken their games on the road this year whilst Kograh is being re-developed.

Knight87

Juniors
My thoughts: If West Brisbane gets a team it needs to play out of a different stadium. Suncorp won't do, fans who can make it to Suncorp are the ones who show up. There's a large portion of Ipswich-Logan League fans who don't travel to Suncorp. I don't like the idea of shared stadiums.

For NSW i think you're spot on, although 5 Sydney teams is better than 4, all being mergers and all keeping their traditional sides in the lower grades. Illawarra as a stand alone club is a good idea, maybe the area can take a break from League for a while and come back as a new entity (aka the Gold Coast Chargers/Titans situation)

Tasmania, Adelaide, Christchurch, Darwin & PNG is a stretch too far. Although all these places should host NRL season matches to "test the water". Dragons should have taken their games on the road this year whilst Kograh is being re-developed.

Thanks for your feedback, Chapsta.

I honestly do believe that a West Brisbane side needs to play out of Suncorp. There will be no option, if the QLD Government choose not to fork out another $200+ million for another stadium. Also, Ipswich is only 30km away from Suncorp (A lot of Knights supporters travel a lot more than that to get to matches in Newcastle). Plus, there's already a World Class 52,500 seater at Suncorp. A lot of revenue can be generated there. If Gold Coast took both of their home matches vs Brisbane and West Brisbane to Suncorp, they could obtain crowds of approx 50,000 there. If you had

Brisbane vs North Queensland, Brisbane vs Gold Coast, Brisbane vs West Brisbane, Gold Coast vs Brisbane, Gold Coast vs West Brisbane, West Brisbane vs Gold Coast and West Brisbane vs Brisbane

all at Suncorp, that's a heck of a lot of money that could be generated from the combined aggregate of those matches.

I do believe, for the meantime, that teams should temporarily take matches to Tasmania, Adelaide, Christchurch, Darwin and PNG.

Adelaide, Christchurch and Darwin are musts to take NRL games to in the next 5 years. Wests Tigers use to take home matches vs Warriors to Christchurch, with the highest attendance at Lancaster Park being 18,421. So, it shows there is potential there in the South Island (which is dominated by Rugby Union).

Adelaide: Well, they have also shown potential for obtaining large crowds (and the population has increased quite a fair bit since league was last played there). Nearly 29,000 ppl turned out to Adelaide Oval for the first ever first-grade match played there, and the Adelaide Rams averaged over 15,000 ppl/home match in their first season (a lot more than more than 50% of other clubs). I believe at the time they folded, they had 7,000 club members. So again, a lot of potential there in an AFL dominated city.

Darwin: This, I would say, is the most underrated and unknown of areas. Has a lot of potential. Northern Territory produces a lot of League and AFL players, and I feel, like the Gold Coast, this is an area we've gotta wrap up before the AFL gets there. Marrara Stadium is a possible venue in Darwin to play matches. First ever NSWRL match played there in 1991 got nearly 14,000 ppl there.