What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson Leaving

possm

Coach
FF
I wouldn't have a back on the bench either but I am a pragmatist and know Norman will be picked somewhere so IMHO that spot should be the bench.
There is nothing in Norman's portfolio other than "potential" that shows me he should be picked over Dufty or Widdop but we both know that Norman will be somewhere.
As I said we are going to play an extremely big and mobile pack and we will need all the forward firepower we can get and we pick Dufty on the bench.
As muh as I want Dufty to play if we had of left in reggies and taken an extra forward I would have been less unhappy.

It is very simple. The contest for fullback is Widdop v Dufty with the loser going to reggies. No room on the bench for either one of them. The bench should be comprised of four forwards, no matter what Mary says. If a back gets injured, one of the backrow forwards can move to centre.

This whole idea of mucking around with spine in the last 20 minutes is a game loser not a game winner. A small tweak like bringing Robson to play hooker and moving McInnes to lock or off to the bench will result in enough change to ignite the team.

We will all know a lot more about this after round 1.

Wayne's World

First Grade
So .. If any of 1-6-7-9-Dufty cop an injury will Mary go for Field or Robson off the bench?

Obviously we all think it should be Robson but if Mary is true to form you would have to expect it would be field for the same dumb thinking that Dufty is there.

If it's McInnis that goes down, you would hope Robson starts

SBD82

Coach
I’d encourage you to go back to this thread’s topic, as I mentioned a while ago.
I knew you valued my opinion.

Doesn’t look like there’s much happening on the Robson leaving front.

Seems as though this thread may have been started based on a false rumor. Hope that’s the case.

I saw someone ask the same question regarding Norman, after I had replied to your post. I then saw you answer them. There are quite a few others who would have Norman on the bench and I am curious as to how they would utilise Norman on the bench too. The team I picked didn't have any backs on the bench. I am not a fan of carrying a back on the bench, because they would probably only get game time if there was an injury to a back.
Putting a sharp and relevant point on this first game.
The real issue is that they will field a pack of forwards that will back themselves to steam roll us.
Anything other than 4 forwards on the bench is suicide in this encounter.
Now whether Dufty or Norman should be on the bench is really a mute point.
Selection should revolve around how we can match the Cowboys in the forwards.
If we don't manage that, the rest is details.

SaintPauli

Juniors
It is very simple. The contest for fullback is Widdop v Dufty with the loser going to reggies. No room on the bench for either one of them. The bench should be comprised of four forwards, no matter what Mary says. If a back gets injured, one of the backrow forwards can move to centre.

This whole idea of mucking around with spine in the last 20 minutes is a game loser not a game winner. A small tweak like bringing Robson to play hooker and moving McInnes to lock or off to the bench will result in enough change to ignite the team.

We will all know a lot more about this after round 1.
Switching backs I've never really seen work tactfully. Forwards yes as they get tired due to impact etc.

The Damo

Juniors
Putting a sharp and relevant point on this first game.
The real issue is that they will field a pack of forwards that will back themselves to steam roll us.
Anything other than 4 forwards on the bench is suicide in this encounter.
Now whether Dufty or Norman should be on the bench is really a mute point.
Selection should revolve around how we can match the Cowboys in the forwards.
If we don't manage that, the rest is details.
They’ve got a good pack no doubt - I don’t see that we should really be that worried though, ours is at least equal I think.
Vaughan and Graham vs McLean and Scott is hard to see a clear winner.
Frizz vs LoLo is probably the closest any team can come to matching Lolo in 13
Sims and Host vs Cooper and Hess. Host will have to aim up to match Hess sure, but Sims is a clear winner over Cooper for mine.
Lats, Lawrie and Luc vs McGuire, Asiata and Molo is a bit of a toss up. Mcguire is better than any of ours, but ours are all equal or better than Molo and Asiata.
Their last bench player Dunn is a second tower but he’s only played two games so can’t say. Pretty good chance he gets minimal minutes.

They’ve got a good pack no doubt - I don’t see that we should really be that worried though, ours is at least equal I think.
Vaughan and Graham vs McLean and Scott is hard to see a clear winner.
Frizz vs LoLo is probably the closest any team can come to matching Lolo in 13
Sims and Host vs Cooper and Hess. Host will have to aim up to match Hess sure, but Sims is a clear winner over Cooper for mine.
Lats, Lawrie and Luc vs McGuire, Asiata and Molo is a bit of a toss up. Mcguire is better than any of ours, but ours are all equal or better than Molo and Asiata.
Their last bench player Dunn is a second tower but he’s only played two games so can’t say. Pretty good chance he gets minimal minutes.
I will focus on three points that you make.
1.Their front row is superior to ours. With Scott fully fit and McLean, they trump an aging Graham and Vaughn who has not had the same impact since he got injured.
When you have McGuire as their prop rotation, they will not lose anything in terms of intensity when he comes on where as we will find it difficult to match.
2 Glanville vs McInnes - should be a good match up but Glanville is more dangerous and creates more chances out of dummy half.
You forgot the hookers all together.
3. Lolo is the most damaging ball runner in the comp and with all due respect to our champion, he will be hard to hold at 13.

The Damo

Juniors
1.Their front row is superior to ours. With Scott fully fit and McLean, they trump an aging Graham and Vaughn who has not had the same impact since he got injured.
When you have McGuire as their prop rotation, they will not lose anything in terms of intensity when he comes on where as we will find it difficult to match.
2 Glanville vs McInnes - should be a good match up but Glanville is more dangerous and creates more chances out of dummy half.
3. Lolo is the most damaging ball runner in the comp and with all due respect to our champion, he will be hard to hold at 13.
Scott is the same age as Graham, and has a much worse recent injury record. He probably will make slightly more metres per run, but he’s not as effective a defender as graham.
McGuire is a very good middle (when he’s not giving penalties) but I don’t see him as that big an intensity/impact player, but coming off the bench he may well be. I actually think Lawrie will bring a lot of intensity for us, but you may well be right.
McInnes is a better defender than Granville, has a higher work rate and made 9 try assists last season to Granville’s 5. Granville is more likely to run, but I don’t think he makes as good a decisions as to when to run.
And yeah, LoLo is the best 13, no doubt. But Frizz is close in his power and impact, though I don’t know he can do it for as long.
Gonna be fun finding out.

Scott is the same age as Graham, and has a much worse recent injury record. He probably will make slightly more metres per run, but he’s not as effective a defender as graham.
McGuire is a very good middle (when he’s not giving penalties) but I don’t see him as that big an intensity/impact player, but coming off the bench he may well be. I actually think Lawrie will bring a lot of intensity for us, but you may well be right.
McInnes is a better defender than Granville, has a higher work rate and made 9 try assists last season to Granville’s 5. Granville is more likely to run, but I don’t think he makes as good a decisions as to when to run.
And yeah, LoLo is the best 13, no doubt. But Frizz is close in his power and impact, though I don’t know he can do it for as long.
Gonna be fun finding out.
all that remains is game day.
Should be interesting.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Dennis - another reason Robson is a must

When we play packs that come hard at us in the middle we need to shift wider and attack on the fringes. Robson is a lot better at getting the pill to the edge than McInnes.

Can't agree more.

We need to always vary the point of impact in the defensive line we are hitting with our forwards - opening up the spacing and making those forwards burn energy. I have been watching dragons games where I can see no understanding this component of a game plan.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Can't agree more.

We need to always vary the point of impact in the defensive line we are hitting with our forwards - opening up the spacing and making those forwards burn energy. I have been watching dragons games where I can see no understanding this component of a game plan.
Have they an understanding of any component of a game plan. Sometimes they're embarrassing to watch

BLM01

First Grade
I dont think you are giving Vaughan much chance. When has he shown his ability to be of impact since his injury. He has only played a trial against Newcastle where I thought him & KSims in the 1st half were standouts..played what 50-60 minutes all up?. Played 18 mins if that against Souths.
Bit harsh on Vaughan Dennis

I dont think you are giving Vaughan much chance. When has he shown his ability to be of impact since his injury. He has only played a trial against Newcastle where I thought him & KSims in the 1st half were standouts..played what 50-60 minutes all up?. Played 18 mins if that against Souths.
Bit harsh on Vaughan Dennis
Maybe so and I am happy to concede that. He is/was in fact our most impactful front rower.
He is a huge human and takes a lot of stopping.
Let's hope his trial runs have been enough to get back to his best.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Is this the Robson thread or the Cowboys match thread
It’s the cowboys match thread..

But it’s all a bit of a blur, really..

The thread titled the cowboys match thread is actually the Corey Norman thread..

The thread titled the Corey Norman thread is actually the Lomax vs Aitken thread..

The Aitken thread is actually the Jersey discussion thread..

The jersey discussion thread is the Robson vs McInness one..

But at least one thing stays constant, every thread is a sack Mary thread..

Apart from the sack Mary thread..

That thread is currently discussing the best pizza topping..

(Hawaiian...)

Walpole

Juniors
It’s the cowboys match thread..

But it’s all a bit of a blur, really..

The thread titled the cowboys match thread is actually the Corey Norman thread..

The thread titled the Corey Norman thread is actually the Lomax vs Aitken thread..

The Aitken thread is actually the Jersey discussion thread..

The jersey discussion thread is the Robson vs McInness one..

But at least one thing stays constant, every thread is a sack Mary thread..

Apart from the sack Mary thread..

That thread is currently discussing the best pizza topping..

(Hawaiian...)
First, the most important thing. Hawaiian? I am of the firm belief that fruit does not belong on a pizza. But I do blame Mary whenever I see it.

Second, without me scrolling through endless posts, can anyone, anyone at all provide some insight as to whether Robson (or McInnes for that matter) is actually going somewhere else?

RufusRex

Post Whore
First, the most important thing. Hawaiian? I am of the firm belief that fruit does not belong on a pizza. But I do blame Mary whenever I see it.

Second, without me scrolling through endless posts, can anyone, anyone at all provide some insight as to whether Robson (or McInnes for that matter) is actually going somewhere else?

Tomato? Technically they are a fruit ;-)

Latest posts