What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson Leaving

SBD82

Coach
Only in your opinion, which doesn't count for much from where I stand, albeit you are entitled to have it.
Good luck with Dufty (who I actually like) on the bench for the season.
PS: Not sure too many in here would think that 1st game of the season minus, JDB & K Sims and with Vaughan recovering from concussion and the team going to play against one of the biggest packs in the comp that having Dufty on the bench is a super great idea.
Who said I want Dufty on the bench? He doesn’t make my 17.

But you’ve effectively just shifted the issue by adding Norman to the bench and starting Dufty.

Old Timer

Coach
Who said I want Dufty on the bench? He doesn’t make my 17.

But you’ve effectively just shifted the issue by adding Norman to the bench and starting Dufty.
I've shifted nothing.
For someone that likes to seize on other posts, if you bothered to open your eyes you would see that I've been long on the record for Dufty at FB, Widdop at 5/8 and Norman (only for the fact they purchased him and will use him) on the bench.
One needs to be pragmatic that Norman will be used however if he wasn't at the club then Robson or Timms would make it on to my bench.

SBD82

Coach
I've shifted nothing.
For someone that likes to seize on other posts, if you bothered to open your eyes you would see that I've been long on the record for Dufty at FB, Widdop at 5/8 and Norman (only for the fact they purchased him and will use him) on the bench.
One needs to be pragmatic that Norman will be used however if he wasn't at the club then Robson or Timms would make it on to my bench.
You’ve shifted the problem because you are going to bring on Norman and you will still have the same defensive liabilities that you identified as issues.

How do you use him? Hooker? 13?

Old Timer

Coach
You’ve shifted the problem because you are going to bring on Norman and you will still have the same defensive liabilities that you identified as issues.

How do you use him? Hooker? 13?
Again you clutch at straws as I have shifted nothing.
I have m,erely reinforced my position that I believe that Dufty is our best FB option and that Widdop is our best 5/8 option and I do not subscribe to the theory that either has to be moved to accommodate Norman.
In treating enough like it or not I actually said that straight after Norman was recruited and I note that Andrew Johns also subscribes in part if not all to that theory as well.
For the record, I could do what coach does and leave him there to gather splinters or I could move him to 7, Hunt to 9 and Mc Inness either have rest or to 13 depending on the state of the game.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You mean the bit where you missed your own typo, and it meant that you completely misunderstood a post, accused another person of making fun of mental health due to your misunderstanding, and now instead of admitting your mistake you are making snide bitchy comments?

I’m amused.

Of course you’ve conveniently ignored the fact that another forum contributor had agreed the “other person” had indeed made unnecessary remarks involving mental health issues.

As for my mistake missing my typo, I acknowledged this long ago, and indeed, said as much.

Yes, you are VERY easily amused.

Kudos.

SBD82

Coach
Again you clutch at straws as I have shifted nothing.
I have m,erely reinforced my position that I believe that Dufty is our best FB option and that Widdop is our best 5/8 option and I do not subscribe to the theory that either has to be moved to accommodate Norman.
In treating enough like it or not I actually said that straight after Norman was recruited and I note that Andrew Johns also subscribes in part if not all to that theory as well.
For the record, I could do what coach does and leave him there to gather splinters or I could move him to 7, Hunt to 9 and Mc Inness either have rest or to 13 depending on the state of the game.
Robson is the answer.

1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson.

Or, if you think Dufty is the better fullback option:

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson.

SBD82

Coach
Of course you’ve conveniently ignored the fact that another forum contributor had agreed the “other person” had indeed made unnecessary remarks involving mental health issues.

As for my mistake missing my typo, I acknowledged this long ago, and indeed, said as much.

Yes, you are VERY easily amused.

Kudos.
You had OT agreeing with you.

Kudos.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I've shifted nothing.
What would be the point of having Norman on the bench? How would you intend to utilise Norman off the bench?

Anyone else who would have Norman on the bench you are also free to reply to that question too.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
What would be the point of having Norman on the bench? How would you intend to utilise Norman off the bench?

Anyone else who would have Norman on the bench you are also free to reply to that question.
Frank
I did answer this somewhere else but the forum is moving so quickly tonight I can't remember where
So to answer it you need to know I would never have purchased Norman but on the basis we did then obviously he has to be used in the 17.
I have always subscribed to
Dufty FB
Widdop 5/8
That being the case then the only spot left is either centre of bench.
We already know the deal with the centres and the fact that Lomax can't get a gig magnifies the issues there.
So bench it is for Norman.
Obviously if all things are going OK in the game then the best option to save many disrupting changes is Norman to 7 (some say his best position) Hunt to 9, Mc Inness either to have a rest or 13.
Otherwise he provides cover for injuries or if Dufty has issues.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frank
I did answer this somewhere else but the forum is moving so quickly tonight I can't remember where
So to answer it you need to know I would never have purchased Norman but on the basis we did then obviously he has to be used in the 17.
I have always subscribed to
Dufty FB
Widdop 5/8
That being the case then the only spot left is either centre of bench.
We already know the deal with the centres and the fact that Lomax can't get a gig magnifies the issues there.
So bench it is for Norman.
Obviously if all things are going OK in the game then the best option to save many disrupting changes is Norman to 7 (some say his best position) Hunt to 9, Mc Inness either to have a rest or 13.
Otherwise he provides cover for injuries or if Dufty has issues.
I saw someone ask the same question regarding Norman, after I had replied to your post. I then saw you answer them. There are quite a few others who would have Norman on the bench and I am curious as to how they would utilise Norman on the bench too. The team I picked didn't have any backs on the bench. I am not a fan of carrying a back on the bench, because they would probably only get game time if there was an injury to a back.

Old Timer

Coach
I saw someone ask the same question regarding Norman, after I had replied to your post. I then saw you answer them. There are quite a few others who would have Norman on the bench and I am curious as to how they would utilise Norman on the bench too. The team I picked didn't have any backs on the bench. I am not a fan of carrying a back on the bench, because they would probably only get game time if there was an injury to a back.
FF
I wouldn't have a back on the bench either but I am a pragmatist and know Norman will be picked somewhere so IMHO that spot should be the bench.
There is nothing in Norman's portfolio other than "potential" that shows me he should be picked over Dufty or Widdop but we both know that Norman will be somewhere.
As I said we are going to play an extremely big and mobile pack and we will need all the forward firepower we can get and we pick Dufty on the bench.
As muh as I want Dufty to play if we had of left in reggies and taken an extra forward I would have been less unhappy.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Robson is the answer.

1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson.

Or, if you think Dufty is the better fullback option:

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson.
I don't disagree that Robson may be the answer but the pragmatist in me says if Dufty is 1 and Widdop is 6 then Norman is either 3, 4 or 14.
3 & 4 are already filled so 14 it has to be.
They aren't going to buy Norman and not play him so the likes of Robson, Lomax and others all suffer whilst Norman, Widdop, Dufty are all in the same team.
Whilst I don't agree with Dufty being dropped I do say that for the balance of the team it would be better if he is not the run on FB.
I was on record last year for saying similar about Mann.
I liked him and would have picked him in the run on side but having in the bench made the side unbalanced and IMO we would have been far better served with another dedicated forward on it.
This team as selected is a repeat of what I consider to be a flaw that will again prove costly if persisted with.

SBD82

Coach
I don't disagree that Robson may be the answer but the pragmatist in me says if Dufty is 1 and Widdop is 6 then Norman is either 3, 4 or 14.
3 & 4 are already filled so 14 it has to be.
They aren't going to buy Norman and not play him so the likes of Robson, Lomax and others all suffer whilst Norman, Widdop, Dufty are all in the same team.
Whilst I don't agree with Dufty being dropped I do say that for the balance of the team it would be better if he is not the run on FB.
I was on record last year for saying similar about Mann.
I liked him and would have picked him in the run on side but having in the bench made the side unbalanced and IMO we would have been far better served with another dedicated forward on it.
This team as selected is a repeat of what I consider to be a flaw that will again prove costly if persisted with.
Why are you bound to be pragmatic when nominating the side that you would select? It’s not as though any of our ideas will have any bearing on the side that is actually selected.

Leaving pragmatism aside, what side would you pick from our available roster?

Old Timer

Coach
Why are you bound to be pragmatic when nominating the side that you would select? It’s not as though any of our ideas will have any bearing on the side that is actually selected.

Leaving pragmatism aside, what side would you pick from our available roster?
Being pragmatic will stop the inevitable criticism of not selecting Norman who IMO is surplus to requirements until 2020.

SBD82

Coach
Being pragmatic will stop the inevitable criticism of not selecting Norman who IMO is surplus to requirements until 2020.
It’s a forum. To hell with the inevitable criticism.

Id rather be lambasted for an unpopular opinion that I believe, than try to justify a popular one that I think is wrong.

- Robson is the perfect bench player.
- If Widdop doesn't excel at #1, Norman presents our biggest selection headache.
- Everyone agrees on these points yet seem unwilling to accept that everyone is on the same page. Perhaps pride prohibits us from publicly agreeing with "that idiot."
- Jimmy is getting weirdly defensive making it further obvious that his indignation at Muzby's "mood comment" was disingenuous.

RufusRex

Post Whore
So .. If any of 1-6-7-9-Dufty cop an injury will Mary go for Field or Robson off the bench?

Obviously we all think it should be Robson but if Mary is true to form you would have to expect it would be field for the same dumb thinking that Dufty is there.

George Dragon

Juniors
So .. If any of 1-6-7-9-Dufty cop an injury will Mary go for Field or Robson off the bench?

Obviously we all think it should be Robson but if Mary is true to form you would have to expect it would be field for the same dumb thinking that Dufty is there.
Mary had stated that he will always have a back on the bench. It's that kind of stubbornness that makes him a average coach.