What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson

watatank

Coach
If it was 100% true you could probably confirm it with a google search. At the moment it's a strong rumour.

BLM01

First Grade
Surely Millward could have matched that deal. McInnes would be on his way out by then.

Long term extension for a truly talented junior would be the way to go.
Your kidding Possm...your bias and narrow blinkers at times astound me.
Mcinnes is mid 20's there abouts, how is he on his way out in 4 years
Robson may not make like v like in 4 years...that is also possible
We will review this post in 4 years
Maybe Mary & Basil Brush did not want to match that deal

Crush

Coach
Surely Millward could have matched that deal. McInnes would be on his way out by then.

Do you really think its only about money?
I'm sure Robson sees the situation for what it is. He is behind a more favoured and very good hooker and Mary wont play a backup hooker on bench.
Instead of playing reserve grade for another 2 years hoping something will either happen to McInnes or Mary he is taking an opportunity elsewhere.
This has zero to do with Millward.
Can you see that? Can you acknowledge that Milward cannot make Mary carry a backup hooker on the bench?
Possm?

The Damo

Juniors

Why would McInnes be on his way out then, he’s only 25? He’s contracted till 2021. If you’re convinced Robson is going to be a top class hooker, that’s a very long time to have two top line hookers on the books.

possm

Coach
Millward labelled him as being our hooking rotation through 2018 and 2019 last time he was re-signed. For all we know, Millward May have put up a good fight to keep him.

This isn’t about a Millward decision to let him go as it can’t be blamed on Millward. This is about the coaching decision to not give him a good opportunity to play minutes in first grade and see what he’s got after we’ve put years of development into him and seen his potential. It’s a rubbish state of affairs.
Millward is one official at SGI that has a very long title; I'm fairly sure after Director, Pathways is one of the titles mentioned.

The whole reason for giving Millward his own directorship was apparently to separate pathways, recruitment and retention away from the head coach. I think words like let the head coach just coach and Millward would do the rest.

You can't have it both ways, wither Millward is in charge of retention or not. He gets the glory of a good signing - Vaughan - and takes the hit for letting such a good player as Robson go.

possm

Coach
Why would McInnes be on his way out then, he’s only 25? He’s contracted till 2021. If you’re convinced Robson is going to be a top class hooker, that’s a very long time to have two top line hookers on the books.
2021 is only a couple of season's away. We could have been set for hookers till then and made up minds who to keep afterwards based on form and talent.

As with Aitken, Mary has his favourites and not only wants to stick with them no matter what, he protects them from any rising competition within the club.

Robson would be big competition for McInnes between now and 2021 and a bargin price if we had an option in the Club's favour for his services until 2023.

Mark this post for future reference.

RufusRex

Post Whore
possm - i agree to a point, but

Mary destroyed the relationship with Robson by promising him game time and not delivering. Robson simply doesnt trust or like mary any more. At that point it doesnt matter what Millward says, Robson was always walking away from Mary and by extension the club.

possm

Coach
possm - i agree to a point, but

Mary destroyed the relationship with Robson by promising him game time and not delivering. Robson simply doesnt trust or like mary any more. At that point it doesnt matter what Millward says, Robson was always walking away from Mary and by extension the club.
The Brett Morris and Trent Merrin experience all over again. Only their gripe was over money promised.

Where does our great leader CEO Johnston sit with all of this mess. Seems to me he is following the well worn path of Peter Doust.

BennyV

Referee
Millward is one official at SGI that has a very long title; I'm fairly sure after Director, Pathways is one of the titles mentioned.

The whole reason for giving Millward his own directorship was apparently to separate pathways, recruitment and retention away from the head coach. I think words like let the head coach just coach and Millward would do the rest.

You can't have it both ways, wither Millward is in charge of retention or not. He gets the glory of a good signing - Vaughan - and takes the hit for letting such a good player as Robson go.
Dafuq are you in about you old coot?

Millward didn’t let go of anyone. Robson is off contract and, due to the coach and his ridiculous decision making, is choosing not to re-sign with us.

Millward doesn’t have a hand in this. Can offer him all the money in the world, but the opportunity he would get when a real coach offers him first grade time trumps that.

RufusRex

Post Whore
He is a St George puppet to the Illawarra masters ... This was the obvious conclusion of the search for external money and the world wide hunt for the best credentialed CEO.

Identity is more important than success.

The Damo

Juniors
2021 is only a couple of season's away. We could have been set for hookers till then and made up minds who to keep afterwards based on form and talent.

As with Aitken, Mary has his favourites and not only wants to stick with them no matter what, he protects them from any rising competition within the club.

Robson would be big competition for McInnes between now and 2021 and a bargin price if we had an option in the Club's favour for his services until 2023.

Mark this post for future reference.
So McInnes will or won’t be on his way out like you said?
The thing that gets ignored a lot here, is players capacity to make decisions based on their own priorities. It sounds very likely that Mary broke trust with arobson and that played a big part in his decision. But it’s very plausible to me, that even if he was getting 20 minutes here each week, that a position at the cowboys might look like a better career move. It’s entirely possible for our best reasonable offer to not be as tempting as another clubs best offer.

RufusRex

Post Whore
So McInnes will or won’t be on his way out like you said?
The thing that gets ignored a lot here, is players capacity to make decisions based on their own priorities. It sounds very likely that Mary broke trust with arobson and that played a big part in his decision. But it’s very plausible to me, that even if he was getting 20 minutes here each week, that a position at the cowboys might look like a better career move. It’s entirely possible for our best reasonable offer to not be as tempting as another clubs best offer.

Damo this is true .. the thing we dont see though is a head to head comparison of the two so that informed decision making can be made. It is very possible that McInnes head to head still comes out on top but the club is not giving itself all the required info.

what we dont know is

1. Is McInnes BETTER playing 60 or 80 (no doubt he is good at 80)
2. Is Robson the quality that a lot of people seem to think.

possm

Coach
Dafuq are you in about you old coot?

Millward didn’t let go of anyone. Robson is off contract and, due to the coach and his ridiculous decision making, is choosing not to re-sign with us.

Millward doesn’t have a hand in this. Can offer him all the money in the world, but the opportunity he would get when a real coach offers him first grade time trumps that.
So your view is that no matter how good Robson would be for the Club and the team, Millward makes the decision not to offer an extension purely because Mary has not yet given him an opportunity to shine.

Doesn't that blow away the whole idea of having Millward outside of Mary's control? Remember the statement from Doust about SGI following the NFL system where the Director of Pathways/Recruitment/Retention ……. would provide Mary the players to coach. In this way there would be continuity without disruption when there is a change of coach.

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
Damo this is true .. the thing we dont see though is a head to head comparison of the two so that informed decision making can be made. It is very possible that McInnes head to head still comes out on top but the club is not giving itself all the required info.

what we dont know is

1. Is McInnes BETTER playing 60 or 80 (no doubt he is good at 80)
2. Is Robson the quality that a lot of people seem to think.
100% agree, it’d absolutely be better if we had that opportunity. And I’m not disputing that not playing him is a f**k up, or that Mary breaking his trust isn’t an even worse one.
The reason I think Robson’s decision is understandable is that even if we were playing him, he could look at the potential opportunity at the Cows as a better bet for his own future regardless. Even if we were playing him, he’s got a much better chance of being a starting hooker there next year than he does here, because here he has to better than McInnes, there he has to better than Granville or Baptiste. That’s a much easier path.

RufusRex

Post Whore
So your view is that no matter how good Robson would be for the Club and the team, Millward makes the decision not to offer an extension purely because Mary has not yet given him an opportunity to shine.

Doesn't that blow away the whole idea of having Millward outside of Mary's control. Remember the statement from Doust about SGI following the NFL system where the Director of Pathways/Recruitment/Retention ……. would provide Mary the players to coach. In this way there would be continuity without disruption when there is a change of coach.

We did offer an extension - Robson turned us down because he hates/doesnt trust Mary.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Do you really think its only about money?
I'm sure Robson sees the situation for what it is. He is behind a more favoured and very good hooker and Mary wont play a backup hooker on bench.
Instead of playing reserve grade for another 2 years hoping something will either happen to McInnes or Mary he is taking an opportunity elsewhere.
This has zero to do with Millward.
Can you see that? Can you acknowledge that Milward cannot make Mary carry a backup hooker on the bench?
Possm?

Crush well said.
Yes we did make him a offer.
But cows one is better for his future.
Not a done deal yet but it will be, I would assume.
Millard makes recommendations re recruitment but Mary still has the final say with the team and who plays each week

Carlton

Juniors

Doesn't that blow away the whole idea of having Millward outside of Mary's control. Remember the statement from Doust about SGI following the NFL system where the Director of Pathways/Recruitment/Retention ……. would provide Mary the players to coach. In this way there would be continuity without disruption when there is a change of coach.

Possm keep it in perspective, McInness IS a top flight hooker, he is somewhere in the top three (Cook, McInness and Smith), he is only 25. Robson has been fantastic in the juniors, not so fantastic in Reggies though still very good and has not proven himself in first grade, he may or may not reach the top 3 hookers status. Why throw out a top 3 hooker to get one who maybe a top 3 hooker one day?

Could Robson have been given game time? Possibly but I dont think he can cover any position other than Hooker well enough in First Grade to justify a bench position. Could we keep them both? Who knows, but if we are talking about a four year contract on good money there's no way that makes sense.

What we dont need is another Hooker on good money, we need a fullback and at least one more outside back. Remember there are options eg Lovodua.

j0nesy

Bench

If that’s the case then then do you give him credit for the recruitment of Norman and Sims? What about the retention of Dufty and Lomax for this season?