What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh

jaseg

Juniors
Just keep Walsh in the team now however you can fit him in - even if it's on the bench. I'm thinking halves for the moment though.

Meth

Staff member
If O'Sullivan is still injured this week, I think I'd go-

1- Walsh
6- Tuivasa Sheck
7- Nikorima

That doesn't mean Walsh can't chime in at 6, but take the pressure off that goes along with playing at 6 off him

Meth

Staff member
I disagree. RTS is too good at fullback and moving him away is too distruptive. I say he stays there and let Walsh have a go at 6.

Fair enough.

I'm a bit torn over what to do this week to be honest.

Meth

Staff member
Our problem last night wasn't that RTS wasn't playing at fullback. Our problem was that he is quite obviously not a winger any more.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Walsh at 6 would be a bit makeshift but then O’Sullivan/Nikorima is makeshift anyway. RTS/Nikorima/Walsh combining as playmakers gives us massive ball running threat even if there’s a lack of proper halves. Add in Walsh’s kicking and it’s just about serviceable.

Or go RTS/Walsh/SOS, if you think SOS is a bit more of a proper halfback, and Kodi can play 14.

I think a key part of this is Egan too - he’s pretty decent at times but he gets tired and his service turns to shit, I remember atleast two times this week and can remember heaps more in the past where his passes have either gone behind the playmakers when we’re in their 20, or is at their feet which kills momentum. Jazz also subbed him late in the game.
IMO Kodi would be great off the bench for 20-40 minutes, mainly either side of half time. Forwards getting tired, he can chose when to run and can give good ball to RTS, SOS and Walsh, while also keeping Egan fresh. Win win

Wizardman

First Grade
As good as Walsh went, you can't move RTS from fullback.....his shocker on the wing pretty much sealed his fate.

I think the young fella needs to bide his time in NSW cup.

TheDMC

Bench
Walsh in the halves is pretty full on for the young fella, but he has a kicking game that RTS doesn't

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don’t think playing Walsh or RTS at 6 actually changes their role much. We basically played without a 6 last night - Walsh and RTS shared the second playmaker duties (mostly Walsh). You can name Walsh at 6 and he’d be doing the same role he was last night when attacking in the line, without the pressure of the FB duties.

Obviously the issue is Walsh defending in the line, but is that any worse than him defending at FB and RTS on the wing? And if you can’t cop that, make RTS defend in the line and Walsh FB. However you move them around defensively, they’ll both be playing as secondary playmakers late in the tackle count.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just a thought about Walsh that occurred to me last night - he didn’t play at all last year so the last footy he played before this season was schoolboy footy in 2019. He was 16 or just turned 17 then.

I know that we were hardly the only club onto him, but it’s still a hell of a risk to throw big NRL money at someone based on how they looked at 16/17, followed by spending a year not playing.

Looks like a very brave piece of business by us...and it’s extraordinary how good he looks for someone whose last full season was when he would’ve been the equivalent of a Year 12/6th form student in NZ.

Tongue

Juniors
Only upside of all the injuries, is that we get to see the depth, which we would seldom otherwise see.
While last night was a bit of a shellacking, it was a commendable performance. The squad can only get better from here as and when the injured return.
Rose tinted glasses and all, I think this team has the makings of being very competitive when full strength.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just a thought about Walsh that occurred to me last night - he didn’t play at all last year so the last footy he played before this season was schoolboy footy in 2019. He was 16 or just turned 17 then.

I know that we were hardly the only club onto him, but it’s still a hell of a risk to throw big NRL money at someone based on how they looked at 16/17, followed by spending a year not playing.

Looks like a very brave piece of business by us...and it’s extraordinary how good he looks for someone whose last full season was when he would’ve been the equivalent of a Year 12/6th form student in NZ.
And this is also why I figure they want to blood him at FB, not in anther position, so it doesn’t dent the young blokes confidence.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

As in he played literally no footy last year?!? That's insane that he comes out and plays like that.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
that what happens when you have a bald coach

RTS is the (probably, perhaps second) third best fullback in the game, I'd love to see an argument for how playing him somewhere else makes the Warriors better

Yeah, I hear all the counterpoints and I've said many times that everyone in his forum knows more about league than me, but I just can't see how moving RTS from No.1 is the answer. Walsh at 6, let the kid defend. He's in the NRL.

Only upside of all the injuries, is that we get to see the depth, which we would seldom otherwise see.
While last night was a bit of a shellacking, it was a commendable performance. The squad can only get better from here as and when the injured return.
Rose tinted glasses and all, I think this team has the makings of being very competitive when full strength.

Sup said the same thing, and I respect his views on where we're at. It seems like we have a much more rounded squad at the moment, we've lost a hell of a lot of front-line talent and % of our cap, but there are still guys behind them that make a decent impact. Obviously our spine is going to be an 'issue' or an uncertainty going forward, given RTS is off, Walsh is only 18, Kodi is inconsistency defined and we're not getting a lot out of Egan either.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Kodi reminds me of the SJ days. Has an outstanding game 1 in 5 matches, goes missing the rest of them. Rinse, repeat.

Realistically we only have 1 position in the spine sewn up for the future and that's fullback with Walsh.

Pretty keen to see Brown and POS' plans for 6,7 & 9.

Leber

Bench
I actually think that to an extent, yesterday worked pretty well. Walsh at FB and RTS playing a playmaker type role on the right. Problem was, it was on the wing.

I'd have Roger at right centre next week. I've always thought he would make a gun centre. Walsh either needs to be at fullback in first grade, or fullback in reserve grade. No point in jostling the lad around just to fit him in when he is all about assured a spot at number 1, next year.