What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

some11

Referee
It's pretty clear whoever made that decision needs the sack - if you can't do your job then you don't have one anymore.

firechild

First Grade
The last Manly try was the clearest indication we've had so far (and there have been countless others) that the new video ref system of having to be able to conclusively overturn the onfield decision just isn't working. On field refs have a guess as to what happened then the video refs simply claim unsufficiant evidence to overturn it. It sounded good in theory but in practise it's f**king stupid.

Also, the penalty against Lyon shows how stupid the shoulder charge rule is, Lyon simply braced for impact and made no effort to attack the player with his shoulder, it was never going to do any damage. What is a player supposed to do in that instance? They can't make a tackle because the ball has been kcked, he can't exactly step out of the way, they must simply stand their ground and brace themselves as the player is running through chasing the ball.

bmwpower

Juniors
The Michael Ennis penalty sums up the referring in our game. Holds on and carrys/ tackle the opponent and receives a penalty whilst playing the ball. 4 bloody refs on the field and still got it wrong. What a joke

Apey

Staff member
The last Manly try was the clearest indication we've had so far (and there have been countless others) that the new video ref system of having to be able to conclusively overturn the onfield decision just isn't working. On field refs have a guess as to what happened then the video refs simply claim unsufficiant evidence to overturn it. It sounded good in theory but in practise it's f**king stupid.

The Merrin 'try' would be up there.

firechild

First Grade
The Michael Ennis penalty sums up the referring in our game. Holds on and carrys/ tackle the opponent and receives a penalty whilst playing the ball. 4 bloody refs on the field and still got it wrong. What a joke

There were a couple of kinda similar ones where Robbie Farah was pushing Manly players out of the ruck but he'd gone about a meter and a half from the play-the-ball area still pushing the player that the marker had time to dive on the ball, yet Wests still got the penalty, twice. Refs seem unable to make decisions about when penalties are being milked.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It is just unfathomable, how it is even possible for VIDEO REFEREES to make such egregious mistakes, especially while they're taking 5 minutes per game to replay the footage over and over to find even the most minute sign of foul play or a mistake. Stuff like that falls well outside the realm of human error.

Springs

First Grade
And I could do better than the current mob..

So do it then.

I find most of the problems are with the video refs. The on field refs make plenty of mistakes but I think we would be more forgiving if the blokes in the box didn't look at it ten times and still make more mistakes than the blokes on field.
Then there is the stupid obstruction, stripping and dominant/surrender rules that make it nearly impossible for referees to remain consistent.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Still have no idea why we got rid of the black and white rule. You touch someone, penalty. No ifs, no butts, penalty.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Because we had defenders running into attackers to milk penalties.

Guys like Jamie Lyon stopped playing league and just spent half the game running into decoy runners instead.

It was ridiculous having an irrelevant decoy runner brush a defenders fingernail 40m from a try and cop a penalty because of it.

Surely, SURELY we can find the perfect middle ground between that extreme and the shit we're in now.

ShaneO85

Juniors
we got halfway there with the change to onfield make a call and then video has to overturn.. but i still say it should go the way of the nba and the nfl (or at least it used to be in the nfl) that the onfield ref who made the original call then goes to the sideline monitor and checks if he was right.. then there is no excuse and one person or one set of officials accountable... no bullshit pass the buck

Meth

Staff member

Exactly. I argued this vehemently at the beginning. If onfield referees were competent and in good position to make informed decisions, it's a great idea. But as it is, their onfield decisions become binding Hail Marys

POPEYE

Coach
Dare I say it again . . . wtf . . . Australian Rugby League needs to have Mr Silverwood cloned. Don't they do that with sheep already in England

Noa

First Grade
Regards the morris obstruction I have no problem with it.

He changed angle to deliberately run behind his own player which allowed him and Canterbury an advantage.

Another game and the winner is decided by the referees.
We are no longer watching a game of footy. We are watch Referees picking the winner.
I did voice my concern about the standard of NRL refs before last years world cup. It is my opinion that Refs in the English comp are far superior to those in the NRL.

2010Dragons

Bench
Bring the Referees from England or even China.... But Badger and Checcin should never ever referee another gane of Rugby League, even in the under 10's league.

How do these Pelicans sleep at night?. When they well and truely know they have destroy a team, crush the hopes and support of ever fan of ALL NRL teams.
These guys are stealing the game from us and nothing is being done.