What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

insert.pause

First Grade
Players and coaches don't help matters either when they coach to exploit obstruction and players take dives when they can't stop the ball, knowing the try may be denied.

Frailty

First Grade
The refereeing will continue to get worse unless wholesale changes are made to the structure of training and rules change. It is not the individual referees fault - sacking them will just bring in a new crop that have been shaped by the same flawed training structures.

I refereed when I was younger and was selected into the NSW Rep squad but tore ligaments in my knee and didn't come back. I have seen Ashley Klein (prior to his stint in England), Alan Shortall, and Gavin Badger all develop. They were exceptionally good referees, but they have been moulded by the systems in place. Until these systems change, we will continue to have problems.

Meanwhile, we could help the referees by having black and white rules and stick with them instead of changing them every year. We have over complicated the obstruction rule, stripping rule, and even tackling.

cleary89

Coach
Meanwhile, we could help the referees by having black and white rules and stick with them instead of changing them every year. We have over complicated the obstruction rule, stripping rule, and even tackling.

Agree with this. Rules need to be black and white. No grey area. None of this you can run behind someone if you don't gain too much of an advantage. You can run through the line as a decoy but can't stop in the line unless you obstruct the defender too much....

Simply, you can't do it. If you do it, it's obstruction and a penalty.

insert.pause

First Grade

Blame the coaches, how do you make obstruction rule black and white with coaches constantly coming up with new ways to exploit it. It's always going to be subjective, the only way to get some consistently around it's interpretation is if the same people are making every call. The bunker is the most viable solution.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
You can apply a simple test - If everyone at home can see it, why do they get it wrong? I'm sure they can point to the framework that they are told to rule within, but if everyone can see it then surely they can justify it

BunniesMan

Immortal
With the obstruction rule, don't even get me started on how often obstructions go unnoticed when kicks are put up. It's become such an ugly part of the game.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The refereeing will continue to get worse unless wholesale changes are made to the structure of training and rules change. It is not the individual referees fault - sacking them will just bring in a new crop that have been shaped by the same flawed training structures.

I refereed when I was younger and was selected into the NSW Rep squad but tore ligaments in my knee and didn't come back. I have seen Ashley Klein (prior to his stint in England), Alan Shortall, and Gavin Badger all develop. They were exceptionally good referees, but they have been moulded by the systems in place. Until these systems change, we will continue to have problems.

Spot on.

I've been saying for years it's not the refs, or the refs boss. It's the terrible structure which leads to a complete lack of clarity around who should do what, resulting in poor training and performances of refs.

For example, if the refs boss trains them up over the off-season to all interpret the rules the same, it's guaranteed something happens 3 weeks into the season and someone decides to change the interpretation of a rule. How is anyone supposed to do their job consistently when the instructions change from week to week. It's just not possible.

Canard

Immortal
After following the game all my life, I just don't care anymore.

And that's the NRLs biggest issue, being so incompetent to drive people from the sport.

bmwpower

Juniors
The nrl has become a joke. The referees are a joke. To many new rules, to many stupid penalties. The most obvious penalties or no trys being overlooked. It has become the laughing stock of all codes. Crowds dropping, gee I wonder why. The game is actually becoming worse. And in ten years time could become the 4th or 5th ranked code in Australia . I think the game needs to go backwards in time before it can go forward again.

Last edited:

Rosetta

Juniors
This all goes back to when Robert Finch turned refereeing into game management, it's been f**ked ever since. The two referee system has been a blight on the game, it has offered absolutely f**king nothing except added another layer of incompetent shit. All this surrender this, dominant that, tip sheets, crackdowns and on and on it goes. These f**kers also TALK way too much on the field, no wonder they get so many calls wrong, they're ALWAYS f**kING TALKING and can't concentrate - just get back to what the art of refereeing is all about and that is REFEREEING WHAT YOU SEE, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE.

It is so f**king simple, f**k.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
After following the game all my life, I just don't care anymore.

And that's the NRLs biggest issue, being so incompetent to drive people from the sport.

what's the point when one person can make an incorrect decision that decides the match? And yes the cowboys have played poorly this season but tonight I feel they deserved the points.

Card Shark

Immortal
Thurston and the Cows have every right to say thats it we are not coming down to Sydney anymore what is the point.

Manly received their first penalty in the 47th min. They were penalised just before up there end when a chip and chase kicker ran imto Jamie Lyon. Cowboys missed their 2nd sitter of a kick.

The next 33 mins, the refs must've turned around.

El Diablo

Post Whore
what's the point when one person can make an incorrect decision that decides the match? And yes the cowboys have played poorly this season but tonight I feel they deserved the points.

it's not just one person these days in the box as there's an ex-player too